Proposal to ban petrol and diesel cars from Scottish cities

reohn2

Re: Proposal to ban petrol and diesel cars from Scottish cities

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The thing is that with pollution everyone suffers,so when you stop or at least minimise the pollution everyone benefits,rich and poor alike.

Richer people can afford to move out of the more polluted areas. Motoring enables people to live in "leafy suburbs" , or out in the country and to commute to the more polluted city, past the schools and homes of those who live in cheaper, less salubrious areas, where they add to the pollution. So the poor can benefit more from less pollution.

I agree,but even the rich spend a lot of their work time in cities and large towns.
The private car has become a burden we need to rid ourselves of where there's such large concentrations of people.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The thing is that with pollution everyone suffers,so when you stop or at least minimise the pollution everyone benefits,rich and poor alike.

Richer people can afford to move out of the more polluted areas. Motoring enables people to live in "leafy suburbs" , or out in the country and to commute to the more polluted city, past the schools and homes of those who live in cheaper, less salubrious areas, where they add to the pollution. So the poor can benefit more from less pollution.

There should never be a need for folk to feel that they have to travel to leafy suburbs. Part of solving the transport problem is removing the need to travel. Less salubrious areas are sometimes found well away from cities, rural poverty is there but typically rarely seem.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

There should never be a need for folk to feel that they have to travel to leafy suburbs. Part of solving the transport problem is removing the need to travel. Less salubrious areas are sometimes found well away from cities, rural poverty is there but typically rarely seem.

I can't argue with any of that.
W H Auden
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Syd wrote:Lothian buses, which operate in and around Edinburgh, are consistently award public transport operator of the year for Scotland and provide a frequent, reliable and relatively inexpensive service.

The majority of my colleagues use the bus fir their commuting and leave the car at home.

My experience is that bus journeys become cheaper and more frequent as one approaches a city centre, and it shouldn't be too much to ask for all cities to be well-served. If the government worked intelligently* with "public" transport operators, a city-wide ICE ban needn't be a disadvantage even with current commuting levels.

*Admittedly those four words are seldom seen together in this kind of context.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Carlton green wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

That might be true of the UK and possibly also of Western Europe in general. Looking at it from a worldwide perspective again, rural poverty is very much in evidence.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Think of the leisure parks and green spaces that could be made out of city centre car parks :wink:
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Mike Sales wrote:
But even if you just reduce the number of relatively less wealthy driving, you reduce pollution, don't you. It is not particularly equitable, but it does achieve the end goal of less pollution, so does it really matter given the gravity of things in play?
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Just wished we had a clear country wide co-ordinated policy , I live in Shropshire , the council are saying they are going carbon free but at the same time they have reduced park and ride There are no plans for the only railway line to be electrified. They want to build far more houses and industrial areas than are required by the local population . There are hardly any recharging points .

I need to replace my car soon , but vehicle tax only is reduced in the first year now for low emission vehicles and there is no indication whether they would prefer us to go petrol or diesel while electric vehicles seem more expensive for what you get and I do not think the infrastructure is there to support it . If we are serious about climate change we need an effort similar to the rearmament process prior to WWII

It seems to be mainly faffing about and pretending to be green so far
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveGos wrote:..........It seems to be mainly faffing about and pretending to be green so far

That's my take on it too,until the powers that be begin to get radical and get everyone on board with a structured plan and PDQ nothing will happen to change anything.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

it'd be nice to use public transport but there's little of it here in Lincolnshire. It's all private apart from LNER. Lincolnshire Roadcar, Lincoln Corporation etc public transport bus companies were all sold off to private organisations like Viscount , Stagecoach and Centrebus. Same goes for all the railway services bar LNER and that only ended up back as public transport by accident.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker