Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

mikeymo
Posts: 255
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby mikeymo » 3 Oct 2019, 11:36am

fastpedaller wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
I think the Police wouldn't be interested at all (even if he'd knocked me down) - but I'm sure they'd be interested if I did it to them :shock: So I'll pass on that opportunity :lol:


You could report it anyway. If you report it somebody at least has to make a record. And consider if it's worth considering. If they get enough then the police might take action, either in the form of a prosecution or driver "re-education". In my city of Leeds, West Yorkshire Police just had a close pass campaign. Officer on bike, calling close passes in to officers further up the road, pulling drivers up, offering a course instead of prosecution etc.


No point in reporting because I didn't get the vehicle number (they'd probably want a description of the driver as well :? ), additionally I'm of the belief (rightly or wrongly) that cyclists' complaints to Police just add up to US (the cyclists) being labelled as 'the common factor' and therefore the cause (in the eyes of the authorities).


Do you have any evidence to support this "belief"?

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17294
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby Vorpal » 3 Oct 2019, 2:42pm

Jaywalking isn't a thing in the UK, and it never will be. For the simple reason that rights of way were there for people before they were for cars.

If people *act* like that, well, it's the motor-centric culture, and it has to change.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mikeymo
Posts: 255
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby mikeymo » 3 Oct 2019, 4:10pm

Ellieb wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
Mick F wrote:Don't blame motorists.

I understand there were more people killed on the roads BEFORE the advent of the motorcar.
Horse-drawn vehicles were the killer.

This tells me you simply don't get it, you think might is right and that those with might have greater priority and entitlement to travel unencumbered than people getting in the way whom are much more vulnerable/have less might, and if they get in the way and get hurt it's their fault, not the person who is travelling in a carriage that kills/maims with impunity ... :roll:

as a person who rides a bike I thought you would understand how that is massively wrong, seemingly not!

Alternatively: People using different forms of transport need to realise that we all have to get along together, if we are all going to get where we are going in safety. I won’t wander aimlessly into the road if you don’t drive on the pavement. I’ll pay attention when I’m riding my bike, if you’ll treat me with courtesy & consideration. Being on foot doesn’t make me morally superior in the same way ‘paying road tax’ doesn’t give you more right to use the public highway.


This, a thousand times. The "them and us" mentality, and it's partner "I'm right, you're wrong" is displayed in every internet forum, and no less in discussions about transport. God knows why. But it's depressing, and disappointingly I see it in many cycling forums, with umpteen people referring to themselves as "cyclists" if engaged in a discussion about traffic. Bizarrely they even refer to "pedestrians" as though it's a distinct group - anybody who cycles is also a pedestrian, some of the time. I drive a car, ride a cycle, and use my legs to walk, at various times. I'm in all three groups. What should I do, start a special internet group where I can call myself "a moron" in three different ways?

fastpedaller
Posts: 2101
Joined: 10 Jul 2014, 1:12pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby fastpedaller » 3 Oct 2019, 10:04pm

mikeymo wrote:
This, a thousand times. The "them and us" mentality, and it's partner "I'm right, you're wrong" is displayed in every internet forum, and no less in discussions about transport. God knows why. But it's depressing, and disappointingly I see it in many cycling forums, with umpteen people referring to themselves as "cyclists" if engaged in a discussion about traffic. Bizarrely they even refer to "pedestrians" as though it's a distinct group - anybody who cycles is also a pedestrian, some of the time. I drive a car, ride a cycle, and use my legs to walk, at various times. I'm in all three groups. What should I do, start a special internet group where I can call myself "a moron" in three different ways?


Agreed - However I suspect a good proportion of motons only use their legs to walk a short distance to their car! :roll:

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17294
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby Vorpal » 4 Oct 2019, 8:21am

I don't like 'them' and 'us', but I also don't entirely agree with the 'everybody has to get along'. Drivers, by nature of being in control of a machine with killing capability have a far greater burden of responsibility to other road users. Pedestrians and cyclists follow the rules, and still get killed.

Secondly, cars are killing us. Not just because of crashes, but also, pollution, microplastics, lack of exercise, social isolation, and many other things.

I am a driver, as well as a pedestrian and a cyclist, yet I will blame drivers. I don't deserve their pollution and danger, and neither do my children.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2
Posts: 36262
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby reohn2 » 4 Oct 2019, 8:40am

The utility cyclist wrote:
Mick F wrote:Don't blame motorists.

I understand there were more people killed on the roads BEFORE the advent of the motorcar.
Horse-drawn vehicles were the killer.

This tells me you simply don't get it, you think might is right and that those with might have greater priority and entitlement to travel unencumbered than people getting in the way whom are much more vulnerable/have less might, and if they get in the way and get hurt it's their fault, not the person who is travelling in a carriage that kills/maims with impunity ... :roll:

as a person who rides a bike I thought you would understand how that is massively wrong, seemingly not!

But don't blame Mick,it's been ingrained in UK citizens since they first went to school,don't cross the road unless it's clear and safe to do so,ie; no motors coming.
It's been that way for a long time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 2470
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby The utility cyclist » 4 Oct 2019, 6:49pm

Vorpal wrote:Jaywalking isn't a thing in the UK, and it never will be. For the simple reason that rights of way were there for people before they were for cars.

If people *act* like that, well, it's the motor-centric culture, and it has to change.

No, but as others have said, looking out for just even a fraction of a second when by not you might cause harm to others should be the minimum we expect of human beings, obviously when you're in a big lump that kills and maims in excess of 20million people globally then those are the people we should target first and foremost, the next group should be those on foot as even the bias/discriminating anti cyclist police apportion blame to people on foot more so than people on bikes when those two groups collide and someone dies.

If a person on foot is giving another person absolutely no chance whatsoever to react even when the other party has slowed to little more than jogging speed, have swerved once or twice to avoid a collision and there's still a collision then isn't it fair that we apportion blame on the person who has done little if anything to avoid a collision with another person?

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17294
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Jaywalking is now a thing in the UK

Postby Vorpal » 6 Oct 2019, 5:01pm

The utility cyclist wrote:
If a person on foot is giving another person absolutely no chance whatsoever to react even when the other party has slowed to little more than jogging speed, have swerved once or twice to avoid a collision and there's still a collision then isn't it fair that we apportion blame on the person who has done little if anything to avoid a collision with another person?

I only said that drivers have a greater burden of responsibility. I didn't say they had the only reponsibility.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom