Copenhagen/Denmark's slide from being a cycle city/country ...

The utility cyclist

Copenhagen/Denmark's slide from being a cycle city/country ...

Post by The utility cyclist »

So, it seems that Denmark and Copenhagen in particular is sliding in terms of its suitability for cycling and encouraging cycling. It's no real surprise that some politicians are 'enticed' by the dirty shilling and so follow the path of the devil to more killing machines. Even if they are electric they come with the same threat of harm and simply push the pollution elsewhere not to mention the billions in costs of infrastructure that could be spent elsewhere ...
It's not pretty reading and coming from Copenhagen of all places pretty saddening! https://medium.com/@colville_andersen/c ... 69ebf16dc1
mjr

Re: Copenhagen/Denmark's slide from being a cycle city/country ...

Post by mjr »

Interesting read. Not entirely encouraging, if even Copenhagen rests on its laurels and starts to slide back under the motorists' lead boots.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

When was that written? There's no date on it and the sentences
But no, all we have at the moment is a pile of marketing hype about being C02 neutral in 2015. A plan that activates my bullshit detector like never before.
sound like scepticism toward claims made that will probably never be met, rather than criticism of past accomplishments.

But beyond that, there seem to be two overall themes in this: partly, Copenhagen is no longer the leader because other cities have followed, caught up and overtaken. He gives plenty of examples. This is good! Something to celebrate and for Copenhagen to be proud of, that it was such an inspiration.

The second theme is unfortunately the warning. The examples of real backsliding. Building underground car parks and car-centric developments. It's a shame to see that and would be useful for all (not least those Vancouver, Oslo etc overtakers) to analyse how it happened.

I'm a bit puzzled by the incinerator though. A Western city that imports waste rather than exporting it to the Third World! Unsure what to make of that...
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It's a contemporary article - the C40 summit referred to is this week.

I think 2015 is a typo for 2050.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A typo, I didn't think of that. :oops: Turns out Copenhagen plans to be carbon neutral by 2025.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/ ... efficient/
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hmmm... while I could believe that Copenhagen is resting on its laurels, outside of a couple of possibly ill-advised projects, he doesn't actually provide a great deal of evidence. And all he says about Nordhavn is that it is
A plan that activates my <word for bovine excrement> detector like never before.

while I have to admit that the limited detail released sounds like it is not sufficiently far advanced to be ready for 2025, it also doesn't seem entirely unrealistic.

I generally like Colville-Andersen's approach to things, but this seems more like a 3 minute TED talk, than an article of substance. At the very least, he should back up his observations with specific examples of why Nordhavn is not going to work, perhaps in another blog, rather than dismissing it something that activates his <word for bovine excrement> detector.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom