Cycle space on trains

bungle73

Re: Cycle space on trains

Post by bungle73 »

Sweep wrote:
bungle73 wrote:Oh, and the guard dispute rumbling on at a few TOCs, also down the DfT.

Interesting - can you say more?
I had the impression, possibly ill-educated, that it was down to stubborn ToCs.
Are you saying this is some cynical case of divide and rule/good cop-bad cop?

Well I don't know about the other TOCs, but I suspect it would be the same, but with GTR the change in the role of the guards was written into their franchise agreement. Also part of it was that all revenue from ticket sales goes to the DfT, and then the DfT pay GTR a fee for running the service. That's why there was not much incentive for GTR to end the dispute asap, as they earned revenue whatever, and their hands were tied by the DfT anyway.
cpedw

Post by cpedw »

I was amused to see this poster at Crianlarich station
20191220_220741.jpg
since Scotrail has a total ban on tandems.

I asked and their policy hasn't changed. Their irony chip seems to have failed too!

Derek
horizon

Post by horizon »

Just a quick update on the new GWR IETs. I've given up* counting the bike spaces. It seems to vary train by train. And the combined luggage/cycle cupboards do seem to indicate cycles in all cases (no pun intended). AFAICS there might be up to eight potential bike spaces on some trains, possibly the 10 coach versions. In addition, the reservation lights and numbers seem irrelevant if they work at all. I've always managed to get my bike on. I sometimes have a reservation, sometimes not, I've never been asked for it. IMV, the sytem has settled down a bit. It may also be because it's winter and I'm talking about the south west (not Paddington) but I also think it's because 2 bike spaces per carriage is about enough so the reservation system is irrelevant even with the lower number of spaces available.

I use the IETs regularly now that they have replaced the old HSTs (which BTW are now used as a four carriage + 2 power car unit complete with six space bicycles) on the Exeter to Penzance section).

*Well, not quite.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher