Using ANPR to deny fuel to uninsured/untaxed vehicles

mjr

Re: Using ANPR to deny fuel to uninsured/untaxed vehicles

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
With attitudes like these it seems a totalitarian government here wouldn't have any problems getting some people to inform on their fellow citizens.

Do you also see speed and red light cameras as totalitarian government?

I would object to Shell or BP running them

Ok, do you object to police acting on evidence from privately-run bike/dash cameras?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:Do you also see speed and red light cameras as totalitarian government?

Ok, do you object to police acting on evidence from privately-run bike/dash cameras?

I'm not overly keen on the level of publicly run cameras tracking our movements never mind private ones, Britain is the most heavily monitored country in Europe. And don't say if you're doing nothing wrong you've nothing to fear. It's not a sound argument.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Why not make filling stations (or any other ANPR post) to take pictures of the criminals and report them with the pic to the police to send out fines in the post?

With attitudes like these it seems a totalitarian government here wouldn't have any problems getting some people to inform on their fellow citizens.

Do you also see speed and red light cameras as totalitarian government?

Nothing to do with what I said. I was talking about the attitudes of individuals to the state and their fellow citizens.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

A local multi storey car park prints the car registration number on the ticket printed when you enter. Last time, my car's registration was apparently "????!!" (Apparently ANPR doesn't like black and silver number plates)
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

I'm not overly keen on the level of publicly run cameras tracking our movements never mind private ones, Britain is the most heavily monitored country in Europe. And don't say if you're doing nothing wrong you've nothing to fear. It's not a sound argument.

I never made that argument, so please stop using it to try to distract from your refusal to answer the question.

Also, saying that there are already lots of cameras is not a sound argument against using said cameras to enforce useful laws instead of whatever sinister purpose we fear they currently serve.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

DaveReading wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The staff in my local Shell garage have ANPR.

What for ?

Bilkings.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
DaveReading wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The staff in my local Shell garage have ANPR.

What for ?

Bilkings.

I'm surprised that warrants ANPR, I'd have thought CCTV would suffice.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It might be easier in terms of processes to have a camera that connects directly to the police database rather than have to phone the cops, review the recording, squint at the blurry pictures, ask the police to enter what you think you've read into a database...

OTOH you've probably got to suffer a lot of drive-offs before that outweighs the cost of ANPR v CCTV. Though I'm making total assumptions about the cost...

And thirdly, and most importantly, is it actual ANPR? Can a camera (of the right type) on private land connect directly to the DVLA database?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My grandsons iPhone can and does .... He regularly checks out vehicles on the motorway on long journeys .... amazing how many without MOT's
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A friend went to our local Morrisons for petrol but waited a long time for the dispenser to work. After a bit of waiting he went in and asked what was wrong?
Reply was that his car registration had come up as a car that had left a Liverpool petrol station without paying. This was picked up on ANPR. He had never been to a Morrisons in Liverpool and obviously his car number was cloned.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Ok, do you object to police acting on evidence from privately-run bike/dash cameras?

I never made that argument, so please stop using it to try to distract from your refusal to answer the question.

Also, saying that there are already lots of cameras is not a sound argument against using said cameras to enforce useful laws instead of whatever sinister purpose we fear they currently serve.

Hmmm you were walking down that road.
Refusal to answer your question - oh dear. :lol:
You may well be of a naturally authoritarian bent but that doesn't mean you can require anyone to answer your questions here or anywhere else.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:When my brother worked in Garages in what is now Cambridgeshire (early 80's), they used to have a problem with Travellers, who would drive off without paying. A network of local garages was set up and a record kept. Garages would then inform a driver - "You drove off from Cottenham on 23rd March, once that bill is paid, we will serve you"

Three things happened...
1. They would come back mob-handed to get the fuel - in one case a full convoy of half a dozen vans whilst the attendant was blocked in the "cubicle"
2. They would come back with false plates to avoid the "List"
3. They would clone local cars so that it was locals being inconvenienced and unable to get fuel

In a few cases, the system worked, but it escalated quickly

In the Wisbech area by any chance?
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Refusal to answer your question - oh dear. :lol:
You may well be of a naturally authoritarian bent but that doesn't mean you can require anyone to answer your questions here or anywhere else.

I'm naturally anarchic but note that I don't require anyone to answer my questions - but despite your attempts to distract, I just highlight that your argument that using ANPR to detect use of unlawful vehicles would lead to totalitarian government is so weak that you are unwilling to answer questions about it.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

landsurfer wrote:My grandsons iPhone can and does .... He regularly checks out vehicles on the motorway on long journeys .... amazing how many without MOT's

Yeah, you can enter a registration and check MOT and tax against the DVLA database. But that's a manual request and IIRC requires a few other details (make, colour), so not quite the same as a camera. However, I guess it's the same basic principle and cycleruk's anecdote implies it works.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Refusal to answer your question - oh dear. :lol:

I'm naturally anarchic but note that I don't require anyone to answer my questions - but despite your attempts to distract, I just highlight that your argument that using ANPR to detect use of unlawful vehicles would lead to totalitarian government is so weak that you are unwilling to answer questions about it.

I didn't say it would lead to totalitarian government. What I said was the desire of some to get private individuals and companies to inform on their fellow citizens indicates a totalitarian government would quite easily be able to get some people to do the the same.