Lorry driver jailed for doctor's death.

hemo

Lorry driver jailed for doctor's death.

Post by hemo »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10503464/ ... rd-jailed/

I saw this news recently not only has he been given 21 months sentence also a 34 month driving ban when he comes out.
He got some of what he deserved for poor driving/lack of due care and attention, as well as the loss to her family and friends sadly society is robbed of a rising professional as well.
fastpedaller

Re: Lorry driver jailed for doctor's death.

Post by fastpedaller »

Should have been a lifetime ban from driving.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fastpedaller wrote:Should have been a lifetime ban from driving.
Amen; especially given his attitude to forward vision :shock:

DBtray.jpg
"42"
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

As with most, it's never lack of due care, 'careless' driving, the CPS and the legal system is a joke, instead of pandering to the criminal motorist filled juries who wouldn't convict on dangerous driving, they should have changed the system of prosecution, as it is, even with careless driving the failure to convict is no better, yet now heinous crimes are downgraded as a matter of course.
This is no better than driving distracted, a deliberate act that is obvious to all that it is dangerous, a driver from Eastern Europe got 10 years not long back for killing people in a car due to using a mobile phone, this should be no different. The scum bag deliberately drove knowing that his view was blocked and put it (the tray) back in place after the vehicles MOT, just disgusting that this and many other sentences are flipped off as almost trivial :twisted:
Motoring crimes that have an effect on human beings must be placed into the against the persons category and charged/sentenced as such.
Not a single judge has given a maximum sentence for DD or even careless when it comes to killing a person on a bike, yet when a cyclist attempts to avoid collision at low speed he is put up for manslaughter, the system is bent!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder if 'criminal al motorist filled jury" is just a tiny bit excessive.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

Oldjohnw wrote:I wonder if 'criminal al motorist filled jury" is just a tiny bit excessive.

Well, good point. But all the members of the jury (and the judge of course) are likely to be motorists and, one might say, therefore biased. And many may have driving convictions (I don't know the rules on jury selection). So TUC might be right.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pete75

Post by pete75 »

horizon wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I wonder if 'criminal al motorist filled jury" is just a tiny bit excessive.

Well, good point. But all the members of the jury (and the judge of course) are likely to be motorists and, one might say, therefore biased. And many may have driving convictions (I don't know the rules on jury selection). So TUC might be right.

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase ... y-service/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
horizon wrote:

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase ... y-service/

I imagine that means that it is very unlikely that the entire jury would be criminals.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, The jury system is weighted in favour of bad drivers - Full Stop!
My late father did jury service in a case where a publican was being done for D-I-C, plus other stuff.
When the jury retired to decide the jury foreman immediately came out with - "Listen it could be any of us about to lose his or her licence, so maybe we should cut him a bit of slack?". :shock:
Well pop spoke up - "Actually I don't think so!". "I am T-Total so if I can drive sober why should we cut him slack for such a stupid act" :D
Outcome? Guilty as charged.
I'm not T-Total, but I too don't drive after drinking alcohol, end of. IGICB MM
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

One incident. Hardly means all jurors.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The sentence is way too light,and I agree with TUC,how this case wasn't dangerous driving I have no idea.
Last edited by reohn2 on 17 Dec 2019, 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

reohn2 wrote:The sentence is way too light,and I agree with TUC,how this case wasn't danger driving I have no idea.

I'd guess that the desire to get (any) conviction outweighs the desire to achieve the correct conviction because that is seen as too difficult. :(
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I'd guess that the desire to get (any) conviction outweighs the desire to achieve the correct conviction because that is seen as too difficult.

Does the CPS have targets in the form of %age successful prosecutions?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The sentence is way too light,and I agree with TUC,how this case wasn't danger driving I have no idea.

I'd guess that the desire to get (any) conviction outweighs the desire to achieve the correct conviction because that is seen as too difficult. :(

Possibly,but when the driver is proven to be totally negligent and at fault and someone is harmed or worse killed then their driving is dangerous surely?
Last edited by reohn2 on 17 Dec 2019, 8:31am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Granddad, You could ask Sur Keir Starmer, as he was once head of the CPS? Just don't expect a straight answer as of course he is now a major pig at the trough!
These days it's 300 words where once it was 30 :twisted: . If I had done what so many drivers have done, killed through carelessness or worse, then I would shed my licence for the good of those left alive! A licence is not a Right, it is a Privilege. MM