Is 'ethical cycling' also a protected belief?

Vorpal

Re: Is 'ethical cycling' also a protected belief?

Post by Vorpal »

The utility cyclist wrote:I don't think you 'get' what riding a bike means to so many people, for some of us it's far, far more than a mere "transport choice", it's a way to protest, it's a way to make things right/better, to improve one's mental well being which has a knock on effect to the physical, to cope better with the days stresses and strains both at work and domestically, this means it has direct benefits to many, not just yourself.
it's a way to help human kind not destroy the planet, it's a way to overcome so much bad stuff, it's a way to feel included, social, it connects people on a level that no other transport mode is remotely possible, it's a way to feel a sense of achievement and sometimes unadulterated joy and freedom.
You need to open your eyes a fair bit more and see what a mere transport mode offers to millions of people.

Actually, I think most folks on the forum 'get' what it means for many of us. That it is far more than a transport choice. That it is part of a philosophical belief.

But that doesn't mean that a conventional & motor-centrist legal system is likely to see it that way.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

The utility cyclist wrote: ... for some of us it's far, far more than a mere "transport choice", it's a way to protest, it's a way to make things right/better, to improve one's mental well being which has a knock on effect to the physical, to cope better with the days stresses and strains both at work and domestically, this means it has direct benefits to many, not just yourself. it's a way to help human kind not destroy the planet, it's a way to overcome so much bad stuff, it's a way to feel included, social, it connects people on a level that no other transport mode is remotely possible, it's a way to feel a sense of achievement and sometimes unadulterated joy and freedom.

I quite agree. Cycling is all those things for me, which is precisely why I think an ethical commitment to cycling should be, and probably is, a protectable belief just like ethical veganism. Cycling is also my preferred transport choice.

You need to open your eyes a fair bit more

I don't think there is anything wrong with my perception.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

jgurney wrote:
Vorpal wrote: unless someone discriminates against you for your philosophical belief, we are unlikely to find out.

Quite true. One possible test case could be along the lines in my OP: where a service provider such as a local authority has imposed a ban on cyclists (e.g. at the local rubbish tip) citing health and safety reasons but without providing the sort of supporting evidence they would need to ban, for example, wheelchair users for the same reasons and without demonstrating that they could not remedy the risk at reasonable cost. Another could be where an employee passed over for promotion could support a claim that they were the best person from the job but had been rejected because the senior managers considered them a 'weirdo' because they were a cyclist (and their being so did not affect their ability to do the job).

Interestingly my local tip is motor vehicles only - except of course one you are actually where vehicles are manoeuvring... then you can be on foot...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
Actually, I think most folks on the forum 'get' what it means for many of us. That it is far more than a transport choice. That it is part of a philosophical belief.

But that doesn't mean that a conventional & motor-centrist legal system is likely to see it that way.

And there was me thinking it's just an enjoyable hobby.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:

Heresy.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Heresy.

Presumably it is to Utility Cyclist, despite his moniker.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

"It's not a matter of Life and Death.
It's more important than that."
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I think that it would be remiss of Cycling UK/ ctc not to look at the implications of the judgement, not only to secure travel rights to legitimate places, such as council trips, but also to have any verbal and physical abuse against cyclists registered as hate crimes (admittedly the floodgates would then open for caravanners, motorcyclists, and even modified car users, but hey, we'll cross all those bridges when we come to them).
At the moment the idea of private transport has been enshrined in the electric car, both through social commentary and politics..... but some experts are saying that won't work, that there will still be issues of road space and problems with resourcing enough materials to build them.
If that's true then all we have left are bicycles and public transport - and it could be that the very next generation of cyclists may feel they need stronger legal protection to fully grasp the potential of pedal powered road going machinery.

..a sort of All Praise to the Pedal.....
Or (and apologies to anyone who is offended by the next)...
.....And lo, on the nineth day man and woman and free thinking non binary gender people, did create the bicycle (and other pedal powered devices) using the treasures which God had placed in the world, and God smiled because here was a creation that was more efficient than walking and give little environmental offence and allowed the operator to see more of God's wondrous creation the earth. Not only did such devices turn men, women and non binary people away from thoughts of drink, and lewdness, if only for a few minutes (especially if the journey was to a drinking house or the flesh markets of weatherspoons) but sometimes these devices allowed the operator such feelings of joy that they brought the operator of such devices closer to God, and thus fulfilled the Lord's prayer 'on earth as it is in heaven'....
(and the devil seeing such things did speak unto those people who were envious and fearful of such devices and did say, here is the secret knowledge to distillate the black tar into fuel.... go forth and blight the land)...
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I recall some cyclists in Australia who had serious problems when bike helmet law came in. It impacted on them by trying to make them change their cycling approach and caused them distress. When any activity becomes a prominent part of life, contributing to well being and mental health, imposed changes need to be considered on an individual basis and 'ethical cycling' in many ways is similar to other forms of connecting a higher value to an activity.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mattheus wrote:"It's not a matter of Life and Death.
It's more important than that."

https://youtu.be/RsQSS-hND4I
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The service in York Minster allies cycling to conventional religion
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The service in York Minster allies cycling to conventional religion

Which service?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

cycle tramp wrote:I think that it would be remiss of Cycling UK/ ctc not to look at the implications of the judgement, ..... also to have any verbal and physical abuse against cyclists registered as hate crimes ...

Sadly it will not have that effect, either for cyclists or vegans. The judgement is under the Equality Act 2010, which covers employment and the provision of public, charitable and commercial consumer services. It only restrains employers, against allowing verbal or physical abuse within the workplace or by service providers to users. Such abuse by passing strangers comes under different legislation. The same language might be considered too discriminatory for an employer to allow it within a workplace (under the 2010 Act) but not bad enough to amount to a hate crime when shouted by a passer-by in the street (e.g. under the Criminal Justice Act 2003).
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The service in York Minster allies cycling to conventional religion

Which service?

Presumably the one which used to take place on the Sunday of York Rally each year.
(I do miss the Grand Parade back to the Racecourse after the service).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

jgurney wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Which service?

Presumably the one which used to take place on the Sunday of York Rally each year.
(I do miss the Grand Parade back to the Racecourse after the service).

Right again, we used to pray for a deep sense of responsibility in all who use the roads
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies