Increase cycling - Build airfields

atlas_shrugged
Posts: 355
Joined: 8 Nov 2016, 7:50pm

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby atlas_shrugged » 4 Mar 2020, 8:05am

My guess as others have said is that the military base means a fit young person gets a tied house close to their places of work. Quite similar to student towns like: York, Oxford, and Cambridge. Hence a cycle is an ideal way to get around.

So when they sell off an old RAF airbase maybe they need to keep the arrangement where base houses are tied to having a job on the base as a kind of perk of the job. Further traffic reductions are possible by having a shop and school also located on the base.

Barks
Posts: 287
Joined: 14 Oct 2016, 5:27pm

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Barks » 4 Mar 2020, 9:56am

Eight of these are military bases (while airfields, some are now home to Army units, e.g. Wattisham and Thorney Island). In most cases, use of cars by personnel living ‘on base’ or in military housing closeby is not routinely allowed from their barracks/housing to their normal place of work. You’d probably find walking also has a higher proportion than the nationwide norm.

It just shows that proactive, if admittedly rather autocratic, policies can really make a big difference.

mattheus
Posts: 1542
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby mattheus » 4 Mar 2020, 10:00am

Barks wrote:Eight of these are military bases (while airfields, some are now home to Army units, e.g. Wattisham and Thorney Island). In most cases, use of cars by personnel living ‘on base’ or in military housing closeby is not routinely allowed from their barracks/housing to their normal place of work. You’d probably find walking also has a higher proportion than the nationwide norm.

It just shows that proactive, if admittedly rather autocratic, policies can really make a big difference.



Yes!!!

Pete Owens
Posts: 1734
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Pete Owens » 4 Mar 2020, 10:55am

atlas_shrugged wrote:My guess as others have said is that the military base means a fit young person gets a tied house close to their places of work. Quite similar to student towns like: York, Oxford, and Cambridge. Hence a cycle is an ideal way to get around.

Actually students are not counted in the figures - Zoom in to York, Cambridge or Oxford and the Universities show up as cycle free islands. Though you can't really call York a "student town".

atlas_shrugged
Posts: 355
Joined: 8 Nov 2016, 7:50pm

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby atlas_shrugged » 4 Mar 2020, 11:16am

Yes I noticed these cycling deserts in the centre of both Oxford and Cambridge typically where students will be accommodated. This data is from 2011 census data. If what you are suggesting is right the cycling figures in these towns is even higher. I will check into the census inclusion or not of student cyclists.

As a side note I was at the magnificent York University sports centre last year and we had just finished racing on their outdoor track and on their outdoor velodrome. One of our riders who had actually cycled over (and back!) from Oxford in order to race with us was looking admiringly round the facilities at York and said that "we have nothing like this in Oxford". I replied that we have nothing like this in Cambridge either. Our race organiser chipped in to say that we have nothing like this in the whole of East Anglia either!

Maybe some very nice MOD type could donate a surplus airfield or two for the purpose of racing and providing tied accommodation to industry on the base. But I dream.

PH
Posts: 8885
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby PH » 4 Mar 2020, 11:41am

Pete Owens wrote:Actually students are not counted in the figures - Zoom in to York, Cambridge or Oxford and the Universities show up as cycle free islands. Though you can't really call York a "student town".

The census question is method of travel to work - it's not so much that students are not included, it's that those not in employment won't answer that question.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15366
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby mjr » 4 Mar 2020, 12:31pm

PH wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:Actually students are not counted in the figures - Zoom in to York, Cambridge or Oxford and the Universities show up as cycle free islands. Though you can't really call York a "student town".

The census question is method of travel to work - it's not so much that students are not included, it's that those not in employment won't answer that question.

Yes - to capture them, you have to look at the Active People Survey and Active Lives Survey, but those are only surveys not a census, so lack the depth of coverage of census travel-to-work. There is also the National Travel Survey, but that has its own design problems meaning it almost certainly underestimates cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12939
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Mar 2020, 2:02pm

mattheus wrote:..
It just shows that proactive, if admittedly rather autocratic, policies can really make a big difference.



Yes!!![/quote]
+2
..
Some lucky students at Oxbridge and elsewhere live in their college, no need to cycle, they walk everywhere
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

softlips
Posts: 597
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby softlips » 4 Mar 2020, 2:54pm

Surely part of the reason must be it’s usually relatively flat around airfields.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48747
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Mick F » 4 Mar 2020, 3:56pm

softlips wrote:Surely part of the reason must be it’s usually relatively flat around airfields.


Try riding across RAF Davidstow Moor.
Still in use for light aircraft and is the highest airfield in UK at 1,000ft above sea level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Davidstow_Moor

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 15.54.44.png
Mick F. Cornwall

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12939
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Mar 2020, 4:05pm

Davidstowe Moor, it should be fairly flat, but just high up?
Your next mission Mick F, should you choose to accept: visit all airports, airfields and ex-airfields and ex-airports in Kernow?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Pete Owens
Posts: 1734
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Pete Owens » 4 Mar 2020, 5:04pm

PH wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:Actually students are not counted in the figures - Zoom in to York, Cambridge or Oxford and the Universities show up as cycle free islands. Though you can't really call York a "student town".

The census question is method of travel to work - it's not so much that students are not included, it's that those not in employment won't answer that question.

I wasn't suggesting that there is something sinister going on by removing students from the statistics - just pointing out that since what is being counted is travel to work then the high incidence of cycling evident in certain places cannot be attributed to the student population of those towns.

The important issue here is not whether every single mile of cycling is totted up, but getting a measure of prevalence of cycling that is consistent from place to place so that comparisons can be made. The how do you travel to work question results in a simple unambiguous answer that will be correlated to overall utility cycling levels in a locality. If the lots of people in a particular are use bikes to get to work, then it is likely they will often use bikes for other trips and also non-working people in the same area are likely to use bikes for the trips they make.

Pete Owens
Posts: 1734
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Pete Owens » 4 Mar 2020, 5:07pm

softlips wrote:Surely part of the reason must be it’s usually relatively flat around airfields.

Not really - it is fairly flat over a huge extent of England - and particularly the populated parts.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48747
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Mick F » 4 Mar 2020, 6:11pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Davidstowe Moor, it should be fairly flat, but just high up?
Your next mission Mick F, should you choose to accept: visit all airports, airfields and ex-airfields and ex-airports in Kernow?
:D
I think I've been past or to them all.

RAF Davidstow Moor isn't flat.
Up hill from the A39 and down hill from any road off.
It's at the top with the eastern end being the highest.

Here's a ride track wot I've done a couple or so years ago.
I came in from the bottom (south) and left at the left (west).
Been across east/west and west/east many many times.
Give me a little while, and I'll find an elevation profile Camelford to Altarnun.
Davidstow Airfield.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48747
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Increase cycling - Build airfields

Postby Mick F » 4 Mar 2020, 6:35pm

Camelford up the A39, off over the airfield, and down to Altarnun on the Old A30.
Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 18.30.36.png
Mick F. Cornwall