Solid white lines: aren't they pretty.

Andy Tallis

Solid white lines: aren't they pretty.

Postby Andy Tallis » 14 Oct 2005, 1:28pm

When will solid white lines in the centre of the road be respected? The highway code states that you should not cross them to overtake a vehicle travelling at over 10mph. People regularly try to when I'm going over 20mph, even over 30mph. They are usually there for a reason: it's not safe to overtake. I wonder if the same drivers who ignore this rule grumble about cyclists on pavements and jumping traffic at the lights? I don't endorse dangerous or illegal cycling, but rules are for drivers as well as cyclists.

gar

Re:Solid white lines: aren't they pretty.

Postby gar » 14 Oct 2005, 6:54pm

The traffic men amongst us may be able to say how serious the crossing of the white line is. It is zigged
lines which are still more seriously crossed by offenders.

I am NEVER on a bicycle on a road with double white lines, nor was I for 20 years, since the early 80s. I get off my bike and walk with my bike held way out in to the road if that does occur, and then the devil may take the bike and not me.... and damage his own car but not ME.

My bike is a very trusty servant, and should do a good job of protecting me from danger merchants.

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 15 Oct 2005, 9:47pm

Unfortunately I can't avoid them, especially in Wales now. I can generally get myself out of trouble through experience and anticipation when something goes wrong but I wish people would think first. I see too many of them nearly take out an oncoming car because they overtook with barely any forward view.

GreenArrow

Postby GreenArrow » 16 Oct 2005, 5:29pm

If you're in Wales, I believe that Dyfed-Powys police take these matters very seriously... not surprising, given the KSI (killed, seriously injured) stats for the authority (and no, it isn't JUST the motorcycles, it's the cars too.)

gar

Postby gar » 18 Oct 2005, 8:09am

Unfortunately I can't avoid them, especially in Wales now

Can't you work up some good local rutes of your own with the explorer? Where are you Abertawe?
Lucky!

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 18 Oct 2005, 9:23am

I'm in Bangor, North Wales. There are 5 main directions to go riding: AQnglesey (limited potential for a mile-eater), Conwy (dual carriageway, with tunnels), A4086 through Llanberis (has them) or A5 through Bethseda (also has them.) To find a 130 mile route without any would be pretty much impossible.

gar

Postby gar » 19 Nov 2005, 1:04pm

a 130 mile route without any would be pretty much impossible.

I s'pose it would make no difference if you tried off road? you would not get the speed or the type of fitness you want?
I shall look at some local maps there.
I have cycled round Aberaeron but that is well south...of north.. Round Aber there are so many back roads that working up long distance on C or D roads would be all too easy.

You may find C or D road surfaces unacceptable for your type of training or bike?

Explorer maps would tell me.

g

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 19 Nov 2005, 5:27pm

I generally find the roads I use OK Gar. Mostly B roads and secondary A roads. A few weeks ago I chose to use the minor road over the river from the A5 near Llnagollen. Unfortunately I came across hedgecutting and the inevitable happened. Speed tends to be lower and there can be more non-traffic hazards (ice, mud, leaves, poor surfaces, animals etc) as well as still having some bad drivers. I do still like them though.
I have considered off road a lot, as a way of training and improving bike handling skills. The main problem is that it would mean buying a mountain bike. One thing I am thinking of is advanced cycle training (perhaps to instructor standard) next summer. I've also found that when cars do cross the lines to pass, pointing clearly to them can at least remind the next car of the rule and they usually respect it (and your safety.)
That said, on Anglesey today I rode to Hollyhead and back (made up to 100m by scenic bits) and came across some totally unecessary double white lines that (under the right circumstances) it would be safe to cross.

gar

Postby gar » 19 Nov 2005, 5:35pm

Interesting. Thanx for your replies which I enjoy.

gar

Postby gar » 20 Nov 2005, 5:54pm

www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1090921112294&pID=

I think I would be using as many of the coloured bits of this as I could., and Lon Las Cymru North down towards Barmouth.

Lovely part of the country. Sensational.

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 22 Nov 2005, 9:26am

Thanks for that Gar.
Unfortunately it looks like the only traffic free routes on the mainland are ones I've tried/seen and abandonned (poor roadside tracks or off road) and in different places to the main prblems. Anglesey has more on road routes I think but there's never too much trouble over there anyway.

Cheers. Andy :-)