Advantages of Active Travel over Public Transport during pandemics

atlas_shrugged

Re: Advantages of Active Travel over Public Transport during pandemics

Post by atlas_shrugged »

The figures are well known but worth repeating:
• Annual UK early deaths from air pollution: c. 40,000+ (not all from vehicle emissions)
• Annual UK deaths from inactive living: 100,000
• Five people/day dead in road crashes, 100 in hospital, many with life-changing injuries

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/statu ... 4116901888

To the above list I would add:
* the deaths from UK oil workers around the world e.g. because of industrial accidents
* the deaths of civilians and military because of oil (resource) wars e.g. Iraq and Libya
* the deaths caused by commuters and travellers taking public transport and becoming infected
* the deaths due to industrial accidents in creating and maintaining public transport

I do not know accurate figures for all of the above. But one thing is certain that these happen every single year all around the world. Knowing accurate figures for all of the above, is it not time to go into full panic mode and start to lockdown ICE transportation?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The benefits are clearly visible. Undisputable. And I predict a return to "normal", conducted with unseemly haste, the calm, quiet and clean air of the lockdown a dim distant memory... Go figure.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I note from the news that public transport in London will be unable to cope with any more than 15% of their usual passenger numbers in order to maintain distancing requirements.

Will we see the government advising people to cycle to work where possible?
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Travel under 'own steam' urges UK transport secretary:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... 3cea4a5559

Todays announcement by Grant Shapps is said to include £250M for e.g. creating popup cycleways.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Oh dear - yet another advocate of cramminig us close to pedestrians as a response to the pandemic.

Look at the illustration:
and imagine pedestrians occupying the spaces marked by pedestrian symbols - presumably the intention of the moron who designed this.

We definitely need to reallocate road space to widen pavements so that pedestrians have enough space to pass each other. But cyclists need to keep well away from that space - which means riding at least 2m from the kerb.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Paris To Create 650 Kilometers Of Post-Lockdown Cycleways:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... 4ccffa54d4

Perhaps Carlton Reid should explain how the cyclist in green is expected to progress while maintaining 2m distance from the cyclist in pink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pete Owens wrote:
atlas_shrugged wrote:Paris To Create 650 Kilometers Of Post-Lockdown Cycleways:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... 4ccffa54d4

Perhaps Carlton Reid should explain how the cyclist in green is expected to progress while maintaining 2m distance from the cyclist in pink:

I fully expect the 2m rule to be adjusted to 1.5m or less when the lockdown starts to be phased out. Not because 2m is more than necessary for safety, but simply because our infrastructure doesn't allow it. In my own place of work there is a corridor that people must pass along in both directions and it is less than 2m wide. There is no parallel corridor to allow a one way system and the corridor links busy rooms. By hugging the walls we can manage 1m and that is what we do. Our streets and buildings are going to limit our distancing and I think we will be hearing that 2m is ideal but less is acceptable where that cannot be achieved.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ANTONISH wrote:Will we see the government advising people to cycle to work where possible?

It appears so:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52592421
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I am thinking an emergency road safety bill could be helpful, list to include;
Passing law, similar to those in other countries
New signs - no overtaking cyclists on single lane bridge, 'No overtaking' showing a cyclist and red car, similar to the general no overtaking sign but could be used on some single lane situations.
New sign - and road layout, allowing for improved safety when a cyclist joins a road from a cycle path, long taper.
Other ideas to consider.