There’s no better time for cities to take space away from cars

RickH

Re: There’s no better time for cities to take space away from cars

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:

Rakish helmet, helmet, helmet, wonky helmet, but anyone on a bike in the video has a helmet :( even Shapps when he's saying that you don't need special kit :roll:

Another missed opportunity. As it says on https://twitter.com/andyschickenhat/sta ... 9978887174 "Wow. 175m. That’s like a quarter of one expensive roundabout, or less than one tenth of a tunnel. At least this isn’t 175m for the whole country. Oh wait........"

It's also claimed in some comments that this is a big cut from the planned £250m.

Yes I largely agree on the helmet thing. Without going back to look at the video again I think some of the small still images showed riders without helmets. Knowing the way anything showing people on bikes without helmets tends to turn into a slanging match it is maybe worth letting that one go in this instance.

Part of the £250 moiillion was distributed in the first part (tranche 1). I'll have to check the figures but I believe the remainder was £164 million so the amount has increased slightly. I note also that it has changed from being a Emergency Active Travel Fund to simply an Active Travel Fund which, I would like to hope, indicates more long term intent.

I think that we would all prefer the pot to be much larger but the strings attached that things are done properly - lanes have to have some degree of physical segregation, just painting lines is not good enough. The 2 schemes happening locally (albeit painfully slowly, they are nowhere near finished despite the official finish being announced as the end of September :?) are using "wand orcas".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote:Knowing the way anything showing people on bikes without helmets tends to turn into a slanging match it is maybe worth letting that one go in this instance.

Sorry but no. If you tolerate this, then your children will be next... the evidence-denying well-meaning sadists must have their heads lopped off whenever they pop up, else we'll lose a degree of freedom. :twisted:

Part of the £250 moiillion was distributed in the first part (tranche 1). I'll have to check the figures but I believe the remainder was £164 million so the amount has increased slightly. I note also that it has changed from being a Emergency Active Travel Fund to simply an Active Travel Fund which, I would like to hope, indicates more long term intent.

Only if the fund gets some top-ups in the future. I hope you're correct and it does. I'll see if I can discover what's planned locally.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

The announcement a few months back indicated the setup of an 'Active Travel England' that would ultimately be responsible for the money (initially £2bn over 5 years, which is still peanuts really) and ensuring schemes funded met the standards in LTN1/20. The groundwork seems good but the funding needs to be far more. Though I guess there's an element of supply and demand there if the government isn't willing to push the matter and leave it more to councils to show willing. If it really proves popular I'd imagine more could be found.

Re wands etc. The purpose of the EATF, particularly the first tranche was to get stuff in quickly, hence the use of 'light' measures such as wands. The second tranche is supposed to include some more permanent measures, including better implementations of existing temporary schemes that have worked well.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Stevek76 wrote: The second tranche is supposed to include some more permanent measures, including better implementations of existing temporary schemes that have worked well.
I don't think that's what our councillors are thinking :cry: :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

MikeF wrote:
Stevek76 wrote: The second tranche is supposed to include some more permanent measures, including better implementations of existing temporary schemes that have worked well.
Quite! :( :twisted:
"42"
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:
MikeF wrote:
Quite! :( :twisted:

The nearest one to me is in East Grinstead, and as it stands at the moment there isn't any congestion at all for motor vehicles. The only congestion is lack of political will for doing anything.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Too many angry motons (including the councillors!) in the home counties it would appear.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop