UK lockdown causes big drop in air pollution

Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

This sounds like a good thing, especially for anybody suffering from asthma.

I couldn’t understand what they are trying to show in the graphs, can anybody give a simple explanation for the hard of understanding?
Oldjohnw

Re: UK lockdown causes big drop in air pollution

Post by Oldjohnw »

Sound pollution too. Bird song is more audible and birds are singing places which were previously too noisy for them.
John
millimole

Post by millimole »

Oldjohnw wrote:Sound pollution too. Bird song is more audible and birds are singing places which were previously too noisy for them.
We live within earshot of the M1 and it is bliss.
The lack of night-time background noise was the first hint of changed behaviour.
Noisy motorcycles are more noticeable, but equally there have been reports of ad-hoc motorbike racing.
I'm not susceptible to air pollution issues, but I don't doubt the air is cleaner and fresher
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Sound pollution too. Bird song is more audible and birds are singing places which were previously too noisy for them.

The main so called sound pollution we have at this time of year is from the rookery in the garden. Twenty four nests so 48 rooks cawing away. I like it though - the sound of Spring.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:

The main so called sound pollution we have at this time of year is from the rookery in the garden. Twenty four nests so 48 rooks cawing away. I like it though - the sound of Spring.

+1
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:

Is it something you have learned to love or does it drive you mad?

My daughter is irritated by the sound of a neighbour's kids playing, and they are very vocal, but I don't even notice it. We laugh at her for getting annoyed by it. I think the noise of children playing is something I'm so used to that my head cancels it out. A bit like people who live beside rail lines getting used to the sound of passing trains.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:

Yes, rookery doings - fascinating to observe.

I like the windy days when the rooks do play: wheeling, tumbling and aerobatting like the mad birds they are.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Is it something you have learned to love or does it drive you mad?

My daughter is irritated by the sound of a neighbour's kids playing, and they are very vocal, but I don't even notice it. We laugh at her for getting annoyed by it. I think the noise of children playing is something I'm so used to that my head cancels it out. A bit like people who live beside rail lines getting used to the sound of passing trains.

I've always liked the sound. It's something I've associated with spring for as long as I can remember. I'm always pleased when the y come back to the nests which they repair and reinforce each year. Good builders - no matter how windy I've never seen a rook's nest blown from a tree.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I like the windy days when the rooks do play: wheeling, tumbling and aerobatting like the mad birds they are.

Cugel

On the way to the paper shop I pass under an extensive rookery. Our garden trees are home to collared doves, who often perch on the chimney, so that their cooing is heard coming from the fireplace. One large bush is home to a flock of dunnocks who twitter continuously. Occasionally we hear a woodpecker, and various other birds join in the dawn chorus, or compete with the squirrels at the bird table.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Wanlock Dod wrote:This sounds like a good thing, especially for anybody suffering from asthma.

My wife has asthma and noticed the cleaner a week ago. It has resulted in a significant improvement in her lung capacity.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cugel wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Cugel

On the way to the paper shop I pass under an extensive rookery. Our garden trees are home to collared doves, who often perch on the chimney, so that their cooing is heard coming from the fireplace. One large bush is home to a flock of dunnocks who twitter continuously. Occasionally we hear a woodpecker, and various other birds join in the dawn chorus, or compete with the squirrels at the bird table.

We have woodpeckers nesting in the garden They'll be building their new nests soon. They start when it gets light in the morning bang, bang for a while, a little rest then drilling again.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:We have woodpeckers nesting in the garden They'll be building their new nests soon. They start when it gets light in the morning bang, bang for a while, a little rest then drilling again.

When I go out for a run in the early morning I hear woodpeckers all over the place but despite trying I've never seen one.
In fact the only time I've seen them in the wild is when they come to my bird feeder and peck at the fat filled coconuts I hang up .
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:We have woodpeckers nesting in the garden They'll be building their new nests soon. They start when it gets light in the morning bang, bang for a while, a little rest then drilling again.

When I go out for a run in the early morning I hear woodpeckers all over the place but despite trying I've never seen one.
In fact the only time I've seen them in the wild is when they come to my bird feeder and peck at the fat filled coconuts I hang up .

I have a couple of woodpeckers and last year a whole family. They love the peanuts. An occasional sparrowhawk appears and a goldfinch becomes lunch.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:
An occasional sparrowhawk appears and a goldfinch becomes lunch.

I watched what I presume was a sparrowhawk (my knowledge of birds is shamefully poor) trying to get at a finch? in a bush.
The hawk could not get at its prey because it could not fly into the closely spaced branches. It kept trying from various angles, with the little bird fluttering around inside in panic. I was glad to see that it did not become lunch.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
kwackers wrote:

I have a couple of woodpeckers and last year a whole family. They love the peanuts. An occasional sparrowhawk appears and a goldfinch becomes lunch.

No birds of prey near us. They know to keep well away from a rookery.