Superb interview by Chris Boardman on BBC Breakfast

The utility cyclist

Re: Superb interview by Chris Boardman on BBC Breakfast

Postby The utility cyclist » 23 Apr 2020, 1:05am

mjr wrote:
colin54 wrote:Available here until 9a.m. tomorrow, @2h 44min 50seconds into the programme.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... t-22042020

Snip!

thanks for posting up the transcript.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 23 Apr 2020, 1:24am

mikeonabike wrote:Criticism has been for those like Michael Gove who stupidly suggested a 1 hour limit, despite that not being the law or even the official guidance. Fortunately that has been knocked back since.

Good to see none of that nonsense in this discussion.

And should the 'once a day' thing also not have being mentioned as that's not accurate either so both Chris and the interviewer got it wrong, not for the first time.
Also the risk factor of contracting from droplets is not high risk as the government have already told us, rather the scientists re infectious diseases h have said. Again these so called modelling makes many unfounded assumptions, for one thing infection rates even in extremely enclosed no escape no protocols whatsoever environments are low even with direct contact and very close proximity.
I also hate the way the presenter uses the words "these cyclists", throw in different out groups in place of cyclist and it would not be acceptable, why is it for one group who are targetted and singled out but not others?

As for the victim blaming BS by Minchin about cyclists needing to take caution because of speeding motorists, NO, it's police who need to be cracking down on criminals, we already know that taking cuation by people on bikes AKA getting out the way or stop cycling altogether doe not work louise! maybe she should be telling women to be cautious in case there are rapists out there too :twisted:

And one other point, we really do not have 1950s traffic levels, that is just yet another bit of misinformation sorry but Chris is wrong, the reference was actually 1950s car use, but even that I would dispute, still the vehicles are massively wider, massively faster and driven by less respectful morons, it's nowhere near the same IMO. The road scape differs and favours motors so much, it's nothing like cycling was in the 50s from what I can see even if the miles travelled by motor might be similar!
Far fewer people would be driving to the supermarket 1/2mile down the road as they are doing now same as before.

it's an okay piece but it doesn't in reality do anything to effect change.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 23 Apr 2020, 1:32am

Mr Boardman, Greater Manchester commissioner for walking and cycling, might do a good interview on the current crisis and its relevance to cycling but he isn't doing much for the cyclists of Manchester. His initiatives are as ineffective and half hearted as all those green painted cycle lanes which appeared about 20 years ago.

After all the hype about his appointment I've been disappointed at the proposed schemes I've read about. They are just the usual car dominated environments with provision for cyclists being on inconvenient and circuitous routes designed to allow maximum motorised traffic flow.

As nothing seems to have changed since Mr Boardman's appointment I don't think he is good value for taxpayers' money.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 23 Apr 2020, 7:12am

I had to chuckle when the woman presenter thought that a 70 mile bike ride was an excessive mileage. Most sporting oriented type club rides on a Sunday tend to be about that long.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Apr 2020, 7:20am

The utility cyclist wrote:
mikeonabike wrote:Criticism has been for those like Michael Gove who stupidly suggested a 1 hour limit, despite that not being the law or even the official guidance. Fortunately that has been knocked back since.

Good to see none of that nonsense in this discussion.

And should the 'once a day' thing also not have being mentioned as that's not accurate either so both Chris and the interviewer got it wrong, not for the first time.
Also the risk factor of contracting from droplets is not high risk as the government have already told us, rather the scientists re infectious diseases h have said. Again these so called modelling makes many unfounded assumptions, for one thing infection rates even in extremely enclosed no escape no protocols whatsoever environments are low even with direct contact and very close proximity.
I also hate the way the presenter uses the words "these cyclists", throw in different out groups in place of cyclist and it would not be acceptable, why is it for one group who are targetted and singled out but not others?

As for the victim blaming BS by Minchin about cyclists needing to take caution because of speeding motorists, NO, it's police who need to be cracking down on criminals, we already know that taking cuation by people on bikes AKA getting out the way or stop cycling altogether doe not work louise! maybe she should be telling women to be cautious in case there are rapists out there too :twisted:

And one other point, we really do not have 1950s traffic levels, that is just yet another bit of misinformation sorry but Chris is wrong, the reference was actually 1950s car use, but even that I would dispute, still the vehicles are massively wider, massively faster and driven by less respectful morons, it's nowhere near the same IMO. The road scape differs and favours motors so much, it's nothing like cycling was in the 50s from what I can see even if the miles travelled by motor might be similar!
Far fewer people would be driving to the supermarket 1/2mile down the road as they are doing now same as before.

it's an okay piece but it doesn't in reality do anything to effect change.

If you are in Wales one exercise outing per day is enshrined in law. Elsewhere it is guidance.
John

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Apr 2020, 7:49am

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I had to chuckle when the woman presenter thought that a 70 mile bike ride was an excessive mileage. Most sporting oriented type club rides on a Sunday tend to be about that long.

For those of us somewhat more puny than you, 70 miles is an impossible dream. 30-40 is a big day out. It takes all sorts.
John

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 23 Apr 2020, 7:56am

Oldjohnw wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I had to chuckle when the woman presenter thought that a 70 mile bike ride was an excessive mileage. Most sporting oriented type club rides on a Sunday tend to be about that long.

For those of us somewhat more puny than you, 70 miles is an impossible dream. 30-40 is a big day out. It takes all sorts.

That’s fine, as you say, it takes all sorts, but I just thought it was interesting that someone ( the presenter ) who probably doesn’t cycle (seriously) at all thought that 70 miles was unusually high mileage.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 23 Apr 2020, 8:09am

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

That’s fine, as you say, it takes all sorts, but I just thought it was interesting that someone ( the presenter ) who probably doesn’t cycle (seriously) at all thought that 70 miles was unusually high mileage.

It is, in the context of "Good Morning" or whatever it's called. It's a very big mileage indeed.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Apr 2020, 8:46am

Bonefishblues wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

It is, in the context of "Good Morning" or whatever it's called. It's a very big mileage indeed.

And in the context of Chez Oldjohnw it's a very big mileage indeed! :D
John

Tinpotflowers

Postby Tinpotflowers » 23 Apr 2020, 10:30am

Oldjohnw wrote:

As long as you have no existing medical conditions and your bicycle fit you and is adjusted correctly anybody between the age of say 20 and 60 is capable-of riding 100 miles in low land UK if they build up to it.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 23 Apr 2020, 10:40am

Tinpotflowers wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

As long as you have no existing medical conditions and your bicycle fit you and is adjusted correctly anybody between the age of say 20 and 60 is capable-of riding 100 miles in low land UK if they build up to it.

I don't think that's the debate.

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 23 Apr 2020, 10:48am

St Chris wrote:...
You are never going to be more likely to come around a corner and see someone walking on the road, it happened to me running yesterday, there was a couple on the pavement so I went into the road to give them distance and a car came the other way and the driver was really annoyed at me for being there. The speeding part of it, we really need to get on top of it. We are looking at that in greater Manchester and London, well on top of it and penalising behaviour like that which is not just dangerous, but selfish.

This is so true.

Footpaths, even in cities, are surprisingly narrow if you're trying to stay two metres away from other people.

At the moment, and especially in cities, we ought to be following the attitude of those Dutch areas (home areas? I don't recall the term used) where motor vehicles are treated as the visitors/guests and expected to defer to everyone else.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 23 Apr 2020, 12:12pm

Woonerf
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 23 Apr 2020, 1:56pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Woonerf

Yes - those! :D

(Thank you)

RickH

Postby RickH » 23 Apr 2020, 2:01pm

Oldjohnw wrote:For those of us somewhat more puny than you, 70 miles is an impossible dream. 30-40 is a big day out. It takes all sorts.

I have friends about 5 miles away by road & it took a while for them to stop offering me a lift home after I'd cycled over to visit. :D