Superb interview by Chris Boardman on BBC Breakfast

reohn2

Re: Superb interview by Chris Boardman on BBC Breakfast

Post by reohn2 »

Tinpotflowers wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I had to chuckle when the woman presenter thought that a 70 mile bike ride was an excessive mileage. Most sporting oriented type club rides on a Sunday tend to be about that long.

For those of us somewhat more puny than you, 70 miles is an impossible dream. 30-40 is a big day out. It takes all sorts.

As long as you have no existing medical conditions and your bicycle fit you and is adjusted correctly anybody between the age of say 20 and 60 is capable-of riding 100 miles in low land UK if they build up to it.

Having listened to the interview I can't recall it being prefixed by such a statement.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

reohn2 wrote:
Tinpotflowers wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
For those of us somewhat more puny than you, 70 miles is an impossible dream. 30-40 is a big day out. It takes all sorts.

As long as you have no existing medical conditions and your bicycle fit you and is adjusted correctly anybody between the age of say 20 and 60 is capable-of riding 100 miles in low land UK if they build up to it.

Having listened to the interview I can't recall it being prefixed by such a statement.

It’s right near the end, when the woman cuts in. She says something along the lines of “yes, but I’m thinking more of the cyclists that are doing excessive 70 odd mile rides and posting them to social media”.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Tinpotflowers wrote:

It’s right near the end, when the woman cuts in. She says something along the lines of “yes, but I’m thinking more of the cyclists that are doing excessive 70 odd mile rides and posting them to social media”.

There's nowhere in that interview anyone says what Tinpotflowers is saying.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

reohn2 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Having listened to the interview I can't recall it being prefixed by such a statement.

There's nowhere in that interview anyone says what Tinpotflowers is saying.

I don't think he was quoting the interview. He was responding to my comment that I couldn't cycle 70 miles in a day. In my case it was irrelevant because I am not between 20 and 60, I have a health condition and the terrain here is not flat.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 24 Apr 2020, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The "droplets in the slipstream" bit is the one that worries me - it doesn't take scientific research to "prove" this one since its blindingly obvious.

basically its the equivalent of being downwind of someone, and I'm sure we've all come across the cocnepts of being downwind and upwind, and indeed experianced it ourselves when for instance being dowind of a filed of rape when suffering from hayfever, and the difference if you are upwond of the stuff!

Hopefully those that close-pass me on thier bikes when I'm out on mine will read this and think - and give me the space that I give other cyclists and walkers. And never mind "its onlt for a very short time" - its my life.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Marcus Aurelius

rmurphy195 wrote:The "droplets in the slipstream" bit is the one that worries me - it doesn't take scientific research to "prove" this one since its blindingly obvious.

basically its the equivalent of being downwind of someone, and I'm sure we've all come across the cocnepts of being downwind and upwind, and indeed experianced it ourselves when for instance being dowind of a filed of rape when suffering from hayfever, and the difference if you are upwond of the stuff!

Hopefully those that close-pass me on thier bikes when I'm out on mine will read this and think - and give me the space that I give other cyclists and walkers. And never mind "its onlt for a very short time" - its my life.

A lot of experts think ( given the size and weight of the SARS-CoV-2 virons) that they actually don’t travel on / in micro droplets, but pretty much fall very short distances from the host, when breathed out.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:The "droplets in the slipstream" bit is the one that worries me - it doesn't take scientific research to "prove" this one since its blindingly obvious.

A lot of experts think ( given the size and weight of the SARS-CoV-2 virons) that they actually don’t travel on / in micro droplets, but pretty much fall very short distances from the host, when breathed out.

Science is good. After all, one world leader thinks it's blindingly obvious to inject disinfectant to stop this illness - which it might, but not in a good way.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Unless the carrier has hay fever of course, and sneezes as he/she goes past (Yes, I've had this happen). As a sufferer myself, if I go out on the bike or to the shops I take a hayfever tablet a while before setting out, just in case.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
hatless

Post by hatless »

Most people here will know about the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#Eddington_number_for_cycling Eddington number. Eddington was apparently proud of his own number of 84 miles, achieved in pre-War Cambridgeshire. He was a very keen cyclist with time for days out, but probably cycled on rattly roadsters and carried lunch with a flask of tea, a blanket and a notebook in the basket. Sport style club rides are a very different world.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

hatless wrote:Most people here will know about the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington#Eddington_number_for_cycling Eddington number. Eddington was apparently proud of his own number of 84 miles, achieved in pre-War Cambridgeshire. He was a very keen cyclist with time for days out, but probably cycled on rattly roadsters and carried lunch with a flask of tea, a blanket and a notebook in the basket. Sport style club rides are a very different world.

I bet his cycling was far more stress free than now, cycling 84miles with pre war motor traffic and most vehicle barely even able to reach 60mph never mind seeing that many in the lightly populated Cambs
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

It is BECAUSE this sort of virus is transmitted by droplets of water - and we are most worried about bigger droplets which can contain many virus particles. Water droplets are heavier than air, so fall to the ground very quickly - mostly within a metre so the 2m rule is to be on the safe side.
Of course if the wind is blowing in your direction or someone sneezes directly at you that increases the distance. The case of drafting behind someone it is a matter of riding into the droplets falling from the place where the infected person was when they shed them.

Individual viruses have been found on things such as small pollution particles and may survive on hard surfaces for a day or two so it is theoretically possible to be infected at greater distances, but the dose is in these cases is so small it is very unlikely to cause an infection.
Marcus Aurelius

Pete Owens wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

It is BECAUSE this sort of virus is transmitted by droplets of water - and we are most worried about bigger droplets which can contain many virus particles. Water droplets are heavier than air, so fall to the ground very quickly - mostly within a metre so the 2m rule is to be on the safe side.
Of course if the wind is blowing in your direction or someone sneezes directly at you that increases the distance. The case of drafting behind someone it is a matter of riding into the droplets falling from the place where the infected person was when they shed them.

Individual viruses have been found on things such as small pollution particles and may survive on hard surfaces for a day or two so it is theoretically possible to be infected at greater distances, but the dose is in these cases is so small it is very unlikely to cause an infection.

The ‘dose’ thing looks to be critically important as well. Again, many experts now think that they are understanding the infection mechanisms better. They think that someone with a fully functioning immune system, and no underlying conditions, will be able to withstand infection by a greater concentration of virons, before ‘ignition’ ( where the virus overwhelms the response from the immune system) than a person with a relatively weakened immune system. They also now believe that relatively healthy people, with fully functioning immune systems, also reach the ‘ignition’ point by virtue of the size of the initial ‘dose’ ( and the speed at which the dose reaches the requisite concentration) being sufficient to overwhelm the immune system response, and this is primarily why we’ve seen increasing numbers of healthy front line workers succumbing. So, if they are correct in their thinking, the existing social distancing measures will work, without any modification. It would also show that a brief exposure by fleeting closer proximity shouldn’t matter, and that reducing static extended proximity is the key.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I just tried an experiment with a water spray bottle and the droplets fall very quickly, so even if you are riding through droplets, they won’t be hitting your face but your front wheel, or possibly your bars, or arms/ hands. If there any wind at all and it’s not a direct head or tailwind, then they will be blown to the side. So it’s important to wash your hands when you stop, if you been riding behind someone. But the chances of ingesting/inhaling droplets directly is very, very small, I think.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The utility cyclist wrote:And one other point, we really do not have 1950s traffic levels, that is just yet another bit of misinformation sorry but Chris is wrong, the reference was actually 1950s car use, but even that I would dispute, still the vehicles are massively wider, massively faster and driven by less respectful morons, it's nowhere near the same IMO.

Indeed so; it is now massively safer. Road deaths were an order of magnitude higher back then. There may have been fewer vehicles, but they killed very many more people. Standards of driving were worse and vehicles had sharp unforgiving front ends so the consequences of collisions were more serious. As we are seeing at the moment, the lack of traffic means that speeding was more common and there was no enforcement back then (the only way the police could measure your speed was by following you in a police car for a significant distance). Drink driving was endemic and publicly acceptable and breathalysers hadn't been invented.
Marcus Aurelius

TrevA wrote:I just tried an experiment with a water spray bottle and the droplets fall very quickly, so even if you are riding through droplets, they won’t be hitting your face but your front wheel, or possibly your bars, or arms/ hands. If there any wind at all and it’s not a direct head or tailwind, then they will be blown to the side. So it’s important to wash your hands when you stop, if you been riding behind someone. But the chances of ingesting/inhaling droplets directly is very, very small, I think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-52389245

This is quite a good piece I found on the BBC website.