Presumed liability

Farrina

Presumed liability

Postby Farrina » 18 May 2020, 10:22am

In the Sunday Times yesterday it was reported in one of the articles that the Government was intending to legislate to bring in a presumed liability rule as regards cyclists v motor vehicles. No mention was made of the same as regards cyclists v pedestrians (which I would also support).

Wonder if anyone had heard anything concrete ? (can't believe everything you read in the press)

mikeymo

Re: Presumed liability

Postby mikeymo » 18 May 2020, 11:23am

Any chance of a link?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 May 2020, 11:27am

Paywall, I expect

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 18 May 2020, 11:29am

Bonefishblues wrote:Paywall, I expect

Well, I tried "sunday times presumed liability cycling" as a search, and it didn't bring up anything that looked relevant, paywall or not. You might have better internet search skills, let me know how you get on.

Farrina

Postby Farrina » 18 May 2020, 12:38pm

mikeymo wrote:Any chance of a link?

As it happens I was reading it the old fashioned way (newsprint!). The paper is now at my mother's - I'll retrieve it and scan the relevant portion of the article when I am next there.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 18 May 2020, 12:44pm

Farrina wrote:
mikeymo wrote:Any chance of a link?

As it happens I was reading it the old fashioned way (newsprint!). The paper is now at my mother's - I'll retrieve it and scan the relevant portion of the article when I am next there.

Eh, paper? How quaint ;-)

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 18 May 2020, 12:49pm

This will, as usual, be blocked by the powerful motoring lobby. The real power is not with parliament but with multi national companies and big business

PH

Postby PH » 18 May 2020, 12:58pm

I also read something similar, online though I can't remember where, it was said to be something the new national active travel commissioner would look at. I'll believe it when I see it, I'd also support it, but it isn't high on my list of priorities. I have doubts it'll make much difference to attitudes, IMO that only comes from more people cycling.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 May 2020, 12:59pm

Grandad wrote:This will, as usual, be blocked by the powerful motoring lobby. The real power is not with parliament but with multi national companies and big business

Why would they be exercised about it? What would be their angle?

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 18 May 2020, 1:16pm

Grandad wrote:This will, as usual, be blocked by the powerful motoring lobby. The real power is not with parliament but with multi national companies and big business

Even if it were law, not much should change, drivers would not suddenly behave correctly for fear of being punished
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 May 2020, 1:25pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Even if it were law, not much should change, drivers would not suddenly behave correctly for fear of being punished

Isn't that statement directly contradicted by the evidence in jurisdictions which have implemented it?

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-ce ... vs-europe/

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 18 May 2020, 1:38pm

If Presumed liability happens this will be very good news IMHO.

From personal experience cycling in Normandy, Netherlands, Austria, and Germany I found the drivers very respectful of cyclists. I believe this law from my own experience does affect driver behaviour.

One other advantage is that families of victims and also the victims themselves can expect much quicker redress in law and also compensation. I met a woman with three young children who even 18 months after her cycling partner had been killed had received no explanation from the authorities or any form of insurance compensation. Not even an inquest. The driver who caused the killing was quickly back behind the wheel of a new car. That is not how justice should work.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 18 May 2020, 1:48pm

Bonefishblues wrote:

They wouldn't. But any excuse to use the phrases "multi national companies" and "big business" can't be missed, can it?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 May 2020, 1:49pm

mikeymo wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

They wouldn't. But any excuse to use the phrases "multi national companies" and "big business" can't be missed, can it?

Harsh - funny, mind :D
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 18 May 2020, 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 18 May 2020, 1:50pm