Escooter trial to start

Bmblbzzz

Re: Escooter trial to start

Post by Bmblbzzz »

RickH wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:20pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:08pmBoth, either. The regulations for hire e-scooters are a slight modification of the regulations for e-bikes; same cut-off speed but larger batteries and more powerful motors. By not allowing a route to legal ownership of private e-scooters, there is no incentive for owners (or manufacturers and retailers) to comply with those limits.
Or the same as with other forms of transport, there are a proportion of people who either don't care about or are unaware of the legalities of their use.
That too.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:19pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:08pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 1:29pm
I don't understand.

Are you saying that privately owned eScooters should have been permitted on public roads if they are compliant with the eBike regulations or with the regulations used in the trials?
Both, either. The regulations for hire e-scooters are a slight modification of the regulations for e-bikes; same cut-off speed but larger batteries and more powerful motors. By not allowing a route to legal ownership of private e-scooters, there is no incentive for owners (or manufacturers and retailers) to comply with those limits.
Thanks.

I see what you mean about the legal route.

The technical regulations for the eScooter trials may be similar to those for eBikes, but insurance and a driving licence are needed...
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ter-trials

Jonathan
Yes, though it seems that in practice the licence checking software doesn't notice when one licence is used to hire two scooters at the same time. It also doesn't seem to check the date of birth; you're supposed to be at least 18 to hire one, you can get a licence at 16 (it accepts provisionals).

I'm not sure about the insurance. I think that's provided as part of the hire fee, you don't need your own (just like hiring a car).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The insurance is mandatory and TTBOMK provided by the operator in all of the trials.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote: 19 May 2021, 2:20pm Or the same as with other forms of transport, there are a proportion of people who either don't care about or are unaware of the legalities of their use.
What difference would it make if they cared? There is no way private owners can comply and almost no enforcement. No carrot, no stick.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

But it's perfectly possible (and in fact usual) to ride a private e-scooter in a considerate manner and be to all in effect law-abiding in behaviour if not in vehicle.
martinn

Post by martinn »

I believe the police were confiscating private e-scooters in Bristol at one stage. Not sure if thats still going on.

I am not sure about them, most of the people I see on them in Bristol are of student age. There is certainly some randomness to their movements, and observation skills are variable. I am coming round to the idea that they need to legalise them all, but I suppose the problem is how. If you allow them, would this open the door to e-bikes with a twist grip, and limited to 25KpH, no pedalling required, and would this be a bad thing??

out of curiosity, if you were on an private e-scooter, and had an accident, involving another person, and technically it could be argued that it was their fault, would the e-scooter rider still be considered the guilty party as they were in control of an illegal vehicle?

regards

Martin
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't think there was ever a policy of routinely confiscating them. There were a couple of incidents that made the news, but they were after riders had done pretty stupid things; one I recall was confiscated when the rider ducked under a line of police tape surrounding an incident they were investigating. :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

martinn wrote: 19 May 2021, 8:50pmout of curiosity, if you were on an private e-scooter, and had an accident, involving another person, and technically it could be argued that it was their fault, would the e-scooter rider still be considered the guilty party as they were in control of an illegal vehicle?
"Guilty" implies a criminal offence, but are you thinking of civil liability in that situation?

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A relative of mine was riding his e-scooter on the road in London and was stopped by the Police. It was confiscated and he had to pay £180 to get it back from the pound. He also received 3 points on his licence and a £100 fine.

This was over a year ago and I can't say how common it is/was, but it certainly happens. Where I live (Southend), I have never heard of any action being taken by the police. Then again our Police don't seem to think it's their job to police any form of transport.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Programme on ITV shortly (7:30pm &, presumably, on catchup later) - "E-Scooters: Britain's New Road Rage". Title sounds like clickbait but I may have a look later.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

GayUnicorn

Scooter trials

Post by GayUnicorn »

Here about them on the news, really like to try one as quite taken by idea. Know London and some place in South West, is there a map of planned trials?
lescargo

Re: Scooter trials

Post by lescargo »

These might reduce reduce car traffic but if adopted are we (on far safer bikes) liable to be severely restricted by any evolving legislation/by-laws to " protect the public" from the inevitable hooligan sector.???
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grandad

Post by Grandad »