Accidents

Andy Tallis

Re:Accidents

Postby Andy Tallis » 15 Nov 2005, 7:25pm

I yesterday emailed the site www.cyclehelmets.org/ to ask advice on whether or not to wear a helmet. I've given up wearing it for commuting for practicality and comfort, and it's driving me so nuts on long rides (pads get sweaty and sting for 10 hours, and you can't wear a hat comfortably.) I'm trying to find out is whether it will make enough difference in a crash to outweigh this long term discomfort. I wonder if the BMA have actually tried riding for hours on end in all weathers in a helmet? Do they appreciate the cost of the equipment necessary to do this on even moderate comfort? And the impracticalities of carting the brain bucket round a crowded lecture hall or supermarket without bashing it?

One misguided housemate of mine believes helmets shoul be compulsory. She says she'd never let her child out without a helmet till they were 18, but if they wanted to smoke and make their own decision at 16 that was OK.
I raise the question of whether those fighting for helmet compulsion have brains worth protecting themselves? (Only in a tongue in cheek sense.)

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 15 Nov 2005, 7:26pm

Broken Tibia was it? Where's that?

I'm sure that a helmet would have helped ...
..somehow.

I keep being given lectures about people that have fallen off their bikes, and in these stories it's usually the helmet that saves them. Tibias (or is it Tibii) are never mentioned.

Try falling on your head next time.

Best wishes....

gar

Postby gar » 16 Nov 2005, 6:29am

if the BMA have actually tried riding for hours on end in all weathers in a helmet

Very few people are aware of the huge potential of bicycles as long distance vehicles at all... and how far and how fast progress may be made.

Re the helmet pads; they are very bad indeedfor the hair line as they are difficult to wash...
worse than a hat or cap, which can be chucked in the washing machine.

gar

Postby gar » 16 Nov 2005, 6:35am

Try falling on your head next time.

I've done that; doesn't do any harm.
I had a pair of leather boots bought in 1964
in South America (Motorbike) and they
prevented any break in the skin, which is very unusual. Such an injury should only eed manipulation, but the consultant was so keen
on his job that he made an incision against my wishes about 12" long all down the leg, and another one down the inside thigh of the other leg. I gave no permission for such an action.

You mention the responsibility of surgeons and consultants. Even though the consultant does not do operations merely emplys junior surgeons
to do the work the responsibility is STILL that of the consultant.

Chain of command responsibility 'law' has evolved considerably in the last 10 years or so,
and the ball is in the court of the consultant in that regard, and unplayable too.

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 16 Nov 2005, 10:50pm

I got an e-mail back from a volunteer at www.cyclehelmets.org. They confirmed that, on road, a helmet probably wouldn't prevent any injury serious enough to curtail my ride, so stuff helmets for a lark! I still think they may be a good idea off road perhaps, or if it's icy, but mijne was just severely hacking me off. Unless you endure the discomfort of a hat underneath you freeze half the time in this weather then, when it's warm or uphill, cook in it. Just not comfy and not good for your hair (not that I have a lot at the moment.) I went out with just a wooly hat today and was far warmer and happier, yet able to shove it in a pocket when appropriate. Had to go slower sometimes to stop it blowing off though.
Perhaps the BMA should all ride on a freezing cold day with just a helmet on their heads, then up a steep hill on a boiling summer day? Many of the more hard core cyclists I know shun helmets and none have hit their heads. Some of the mildest riders though swear by them.
I also worked out that it would cost me a good £1000 to wear helmets for 40 years. Enough to train to be a national cycle trainiong standard instructor 3 times.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 17 Nov 2005, 12:13am

Yes, Gar and Andy, I agree.

Last summer I cycled back to London from Bath (I couldn't afford the train) along the A4 mostly. I really enjoyed it, but certainly wouldn't have done if I'd had to wear a hat made of polystyrene and plastic on my head for 12 hours.

How does the BMA think that will be good for my health? Have they done a risk assessment on the chances of dying from heat, or loss of concentration leading to fatal accident?

Perhaps the cyclists among them are of the type that pootle around the shops and around the park. Nothing wrong with pootling, but it shouldn't be the basis for a national policy.

And, yes, I'd like to see the statistics related to idiocy. I mean, the statistics presented include all those kids riding like idiots, all the people riding at night without lights, the ones that swerve around the road, the ones that are unaware of anything that is going on around them. Those people are going to kill themselves sooner or later anyway, and their accidents shouldn't be used to formulate policy either.

gar

Postby gar » 17 Nov 2005, 11:17am

I saw a bloke yesterday wearing yellow luminous jacket on the very busy dual carriageway out of Poole, with no cycle track. He was smiling.

However just inside the hedge there is the Upton Park cycleway... which he probably was not using because there is a little bit of rough which might have damaged his tyres.