A66?

ratherbeintobago

A66?

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Does anyone know what the announcement Grant Shapps wanted to make about the A66 was?

And if it’s conversion to a dual carriageway, has CUK been pressing for a segregated cycleway as part of the build?
pete75

Re: A66?

Post by pete75 »

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I only know the A66 as a dual carriageway.
I crossed right over both sides on my Grand Tour heading south from Barnard Castle to Grinton YHA
Are you saying that it's not a dual carriageway?
It was in 2008 when I crossed it, so it mustn't be for the whole length?
Mick F. Cornwall
ratherbeintobago

@pete75 Thanks, no mention of cycling infrastructure in there, sadly :?

@Mick_F It’s very definitely single carriageway between Penrith and Center Parcs…
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

There's actually already a rather nice stretch of segregated cycle route on the dualled section east of the Mungrisdale junction. Wide, nice smooth tarmac, generous grass verge separating from the other carriageways. It's not all like this, though.
ratherbeintobago

No, and if they’re doing the carriageway work it’s probably the best time to build it?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ChrisButch wrote:There's actually already a rather nice stretch of segregated cycle route on the dualled section east of the Mungrisdale junction.

You mean this ???
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.6371946,-2.9796235,3a,15y,113.42h,79.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slWpf83tuFZm2heqqmO5dsw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I know the A66 far too well having lived on the side of it as a child and used it to visit family, friends and holidays for the last 40 yrs.
The last bit duelled was at Temple Sowerby and yes they put a new cycle facility in which might get used by a local but I’ve yet to see anyone use it. Here is the approach to it travelling East. It would be a brave man to ever reach that entry point. It’s not joined up to anything at all so maybe they were planning ahead? I doubt it but we live in hope.
I think in what lifetime I’ve left I’ll be still going via Alston or via Tan Hill if I can ever face that hill out of Kirby Stephen. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The leaflet https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.com/cip/a66-northern-trans-pennine/results/prabrochurefinal.pdf claimed:
Use of the ‘old’ A66 as part of the local road
network will deliver safer, more enjoyable
journeys for cyclists and pedestrians.

This would be a reasonable approach - far better to ride on a quiet old road than a purpose built path right next to a motorway. However, for that to work it would depend on the dual carriageway taking new alignment in order to leave the old road in place. This doesn't seem to be the case at Temple Sowerby leaving the dual carriageway as the only route to Penrith. This is why proper motorways are preferable to upgrading A roads - they have to preserve the right of way.
ratherbeintobago

Do we ever get any kind of official CUK response one this forum?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.

The forum is hosted by them insomuch as they pay for it, but it's not an official mouthpiece or even an ear.
They do try, though. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pete Owens wrote:The leaflet https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.com/cip/a66-northern-trans-pennine/results/prabrochurefinal.pdf claimed:
Use of the ‘old’ A66 as part of the local road
network will deliver safer, more enjoyable
journeys for cyclists and pedestrians.

This would be a reasonable approach - far better to ride on a quiet old road than a purpose built path right next to a motorway. However, for that to work it would depend on the dual carriageway taking new alignment in order to leave the old road in place. This doesn't seem to be the case at Temple Sowerby leaving the dual carriageway as the only route to Penrith. This is why proper motorways are preferable to upgrading A roads - they have to preserve the right of way.

Just looked at option i and they say
The current carriageway between Café 66 and Wildboar Hill would be widened and utilised as the eastbound carriageway and a new westbound carriageway would be constructed directly to the south of the current A66
I can’t see any old A66 being left for the use of cyclists and pedestrians in that proposal.
The good news is they won’t be taking Cafe 66 away I hope.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ratherbeintobago

Where’s that in relation to CP?