Incitement to murder

mikeymo

Incitement to murder

Post by mikeymo »

I assume that UK Cycling have lawyers. It seems to me that this amounts to incitement to murder.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/tie-piano-wire-neck-height-cycling-uk-submits-formal-complaint-sunday-times

There is a link to complain to the Sunday Times at the bottom of the link.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Incitement to murder

Post by Cyril Haearn »

This should certainly be reported to the police
This 'journalist'* has been mentioned before on these fora

* "journalist" can be an honourable calling, but not here
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:This should certainly be reported to the police

Rod Liddle is an unpleasant man all round. He seems to hate everybody, possibly including himself.

I didn't realise he was a subject on this forums.
FOSS62

Post by FOSS62 »

Of course it shouldn’t. As with the infamous Jo Brand battery acid comment, it was quite obviously made as a joke.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

There was a so-called journalist proposing similar a couple of years ago. I emailed the Police Commissioner and they took some action - they telephoned me after 'speaking to him directly', but said their hands were tied because he's stated his 'chum thinks etc' So he wasn't responsible! Hmm, not so sure that's responsible journalism myself. Below is my report I brought back to the forum after the police contacted me. I did say to the officer on the 'phone that I wonder if cyclists went online saying their chums would cause serious harm to Journalists that would be acceptable? he, of course, didn't comment, except to re-iterate 'we can do no more'
:?: Maybe a few of us could contact the office of the Police Commissioner? I don't know which area I guess the Met Police is a good place to start given the (Fleet Street or is it Wapping now?) connection.
##############################################
A response from my email to the South Yorkshire PCC. I view their action as good, and in future if we voice complaints of this nature we may get somewhere towards our concerns being acted upon legally. Let's hope they put some fear into McGill :evil:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On behalf of the Commissioner, I have liaised with South Yorkshire Police who have offered the following observations.

It would appear that there is no crime to investigate as the unsavoury aspects of the article do not attack any protected characteristics of diversity. However, an officer has been assigned to make contact with Mr McGill to advise that publishing such accounts and unsuitable comments cause dissent and detract from the safe environment Sheffield has, and is seeking to improve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

In The Metropolitan Police I think the Police Commissioner is the title of the highest ranking officer, the Met equivalent to PCC is actually the Mayor.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

We had a similar issue with Matthew Parris a while back, when he posted what wears Lycra and deserves to be garrotted. It was a rant about hedges being full of bottles which he blamed on cyclists. I complained to the press commission, who did nothing except to say that there was no case to answer, the editor of the times sent me a letter saying Matthew was only joking and didn’t really mean it. I have not bought the times since.
NUKe

Post by fastpedaller »

FOSS62 wrote:

Of course it shouldn’t. As with the infamous Jo Brand battery acid comment, it was quite obviously made as a joke.

But idiots latch onto it and decide it has merit. Some people use 'stars' 'celebrities' 'wanna-be celebrities' in the media as role models - the media has (or should have) some responsibility.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

fastpedaller wrote:
FOSS62 wrote:

But idiots latch onto it and decide it has merit. Some people use 'stars' 'celebrities' 'wanna-be celebrities' in the media as role models - the media has (or should have) some responsibility.

If you substitute motorists for cyclists in the "joke", I wonder how it would go down?

After a couple of incidents of breeze blocks from motorway bridges injuring drivers, a hack confesses that he is very tempted to do the same, only restrained by wife and the law from assaulting random cars. After all, motorists are so very annoying in the way their desire for speed makes the streets so dangerous.

Not really very funny.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Mike Sales wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
FOSS62 wrote:

If you substitute motorists for cyclists in the "joke", I wonder how it would go down?

After a couple of incidents of breeze blocks from motorway bridges injuring drivers, a hack confesses that he is very tempted to do the same, only restrained by wife and the law from assaulting random cars. After all, motorists are so very annoying in the way their desire for speed makes the streets so dangerous.

Not really very funny.

Indeed. In the next couple of days I intend to send the link to the Sunday Times article to the Police. If they don't proceed with any action I will ask if it's ok to put on the internet a posting saying something along the lines of "Journalists are abhorent and should be strangled by their camera straps!' - i suspect (If I pose the question) they will advise against it?
RH20

Post by RH20 »

Dominic Cummings, Rod Liddell, no further action! Good to be a part of the establishment, do what you want, say what you want. One wonders what action would have been taken if he had made a similar comment about other minorities. Or if his comments had been made by a lesser mortal, no doubt the boys in blue would have been knocking on their door. But hay ho controversy sells papers, so is it any wonder the establishment does nothing to stop journalism of this nature.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've reported it to the Met Police, so we'll see what their response is!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Good move. Thank you.

Jonathan
Reddington

Post by Reddington »

Didn't "celebrity" chef James Martin infer something similar a couple of years ago?Not garotting but something about knocking cyclists off?
No wonder we have idiots hurting cyclists.