cycling on Country file

Postby Philip Benstead » 8 Jun 2020, 9:36pm

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Carlton green

Re: cycling on Country file

Postby Carlton green » 9 Jun 2020, 5:07am

Thank you for that link. For me it was an interesting ten minutes, whilst most of the comments weren’t news to me some were so it was still time well spent. I am hopeful that following management of Corona Virus issues there will be a long lasting step towards much more cycling.

John Holiday

Postby John Holiday » 9 Jun 2020, 2:06pm

All useful publicity, if it gets more people out on bikes.

warrendavies

Postby warrendavies » 9 Jun 2020, 2:37pm

The infrastructure issue can easily be solved with enough funding. It's up to us to let our elected representatives, at all levels, know that that is what we want them to spend money on.

The last sentence about recognising that getting on a bike is a bit of effort, is perhaps more difficult in rural settings. In cities cycling has many advantages that don't really exist in small towns and villages. Firstly I think government effort should go into re-invigorating local economies, the so called, "foundational economy". Allowing more people to work in well paid jobs closer to home. But secondly, at the same time we / government need to look at making driving less appealing, and providing real additional incentives for walking / cycling. i.e. paying people to cycle.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 15 Jun 2020, 10:06am

warrendavies wrote:The infrastructure issue can easily be solved with enough funding. It's up to us to let our elected representatives, at all levels, know that that is what we want them to spend money on.

The last sentence about recognising that getting on a bike is a bit of effort, is perhaps more difficult in rural settings. In cities cycling has many advantages that don't really exist in small towns and villages. Firstly I think government effort should go into re-invigorating local economies, the so called, "foundational economy". Allowing more people to work in well paid jobs closer to home. But secondly, at the same time we / government need to look at making driving less appealing, and providing real additional incentives for walking / cycling. i.e. paying people to cycle.

I did a 60-mile round trip commute for 12 years, simply because there was no work that I could do nearer home. Not once did I find the drive appealing, even starting early/leaving later to avoid the worst of the (motorway) traffic.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !