Liberated by Dominic Cummings!

Smallcog

Liberated by Dominic Cummings!

Post by Smallcog »

I have noticed a genuine change in my behaviour since Cummingsgate. For 50 odd years I have been a tediously legal cyclist; I always stopped at red lights, never mounted a pavement unless dual use, always displayed lights and so on.

However, recently I have noticed that I've started using my "great British common sense" and, inspired by Cummings, only following rules that I deem reasonable and appropriate at the time. I reckon the danger to me has dropped a bit as a result.

I wonder if it's just temporary and that those rules, drummed into me by Mr Cracknell, the Cycling Proficiency trainer, back in the late 60's will reassert themselves!
Jdsk

Re: Liberated by Dominic Cummings!

Post by Jdsk »

Very interesting.

If previous conditions recur I'd bet that you'll revert to previous behaviour...

Jonathan

PS: One of the central problems of criminology is why people obey rules and laws so much. Of course everyone knows the answer until you do the experiments...
gaz

Post by gaz »

Seemingly Barnard Castle is only a 345 mile ride away.

On the other hand Leeds Castle is about 20 miles from here, perhaps more achievable :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

I heard that Dominic Cummings once served red wine with fish. He was also spotted wearing checks and stripes. Is there no end to this man's villainy?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mikeymo wrote:I heard that Dominic Cummings once served red wine with fish. He was also spotted wearing checks and stripes. Is there no end to this man's villainy?

Well if the 'Russian Report' (remember that?)
Ever gets to see the half light of day we might be a little wiser on that score.

((On another score I was going to address your points and quotes articles about food and agriculture in Britain and Africa etc but the thread was closed before I could read it all and gather my reaction.
But basically and briefly my position was not changed. If I write more this thread may get the same treatment I fear. :shock:

But sorry, as it is rather interesting, even Johnson was making points about food in the form of fish (y!) earlier.
The "great marine wealth of the UK", he omitted to say a great deal of it was already sold off!!)
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I heard that Dominic Cummings once served red wine with fish. He was also spotted wearing checks and stripes. Is there no end to this man's villainy?

But basically and briefly my position was not changed.

Of course it wasn't. Nobody discusses these sorts of things to learn anything, that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have been DOING A CUMMINGS from time to time, ever since the great man showed us the way. But my free interpretation of the rules has been confined to those rules to do with Covid 19, such as the rule we have in Wales about not cycling any further from your home than you could walk back if you had a mechanical. That went straight out of the window when Cummings showed us how to deal with these tiresome restrictions. I have been doing a nice long eye test several times a week.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

Well if the 'Russian Report' (remember that?)
Ever gets to see the half light of day we might be a little wiser on that score.

((On another score I was going to address your points and quotes articles about food and agriculture in Britain and Africa etc but the thread was closed before I could read it all and gather my reaction.
But basically and briefly my position was not changed. If I write more this thread may get the same treatment I fear. :shock:

But sorry, as it is rather interesting, even Johnson was making points about food in the form of fish (y!) earlier.
The "great marine wealth of the UK", he omitted to say a great deal of it was already sold off!!)

That great marine wealth that forms 0.1% of GNP.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Well if the 'Russian Report' (remember that?)

Nice to see that there are at least two of us who haven't forgotten this report - I wonder what the final excuse will be for the delay; "couldn't buy the necessary black pens to redact all the incriminating evidence because of COVID?"
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Stop making excuses for Dominic Cummings!! He is evil incarnate and has committed the most grievous of sins!! His law breaking is of the highest order!! He should be taken out and shot!! Hanging is too good for him!!

After all, just look what Durham Police said!!

" the officer would have spoken to him, and, having established the facts, likely advised Mr Cummings to return to the address in Durham"

They would have spoken to him!! How could it possibly be any worse?!?!*?!* It's the crime of the century I tell you!!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/28/what-does-durham-polices-statement-dominic-cummings-tell-us

Still, it keeps the high horses in gainful employment, I suppose. And sales of faux outrage have gone through the roof.
crankypeddler

Post by crankypeddler »

The "Government" is hoping the Russian report will be forgotten like Cummings antics , and a lot of other things yet to come, when its next time to vote. I won't.
On a lighter note its encouraging that something good had come out of some ones bad behaviour. Keep up the good work folks and keep peddling! :D
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

crankypeddler wrote:The "Government" is hoping the Russian report will be forgotten like Cummings antics , and a lot of other things yet to come, when its next time to vote. I won't.

So you were planning to vote Conservative, but now you won't because of the "Russian report" and Dominic Cummings. Is that it?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

crankypeddler wrote:The "Government" is hoping the Russian report will be forgotten like Cummings antics , and a lot of other things yet to come, when its next time to vote. I won't.
On a lighter note its encouraging that something good had come out of some ones bad behaviour. Keep up the good work folks and keep peddling! :D

"Government" in inverted commas is one possibility, I use -regime- :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:"Government" in inverted commas is one possibility, I use -regime- :?

...and in so doing provide another example of the hyperbole so popular in online discussions, including in this forums.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning all, It seems that the two most important advisers to Boris displayed scant regard for health & safety?
We all knew about the evil Cummings and goings, but what about Boris's second adviser, his "Love in Liver", Carrie on regardless! She held a Baby Shower at Chequers with a dozen or so friends? So we get shouted at, the who have the P.M.'s ear get special clearance???
Talk about "Sod U Jack, I'm Alright"! MM