support for Brecon/Merthyr railway line conversion in Caerphilly

dannypartridge76

support for Brecon/Merthyr railway line conversion in Caerphilly

Postby dannypartridge76 » 15 Jun 2020, 8:37pm

i am looking for help/support to get a campaign running to help convert the old disused Brecon/Merthyr railway line in to a safe family-friendly route to promote cycling provision in the Caerphilly county borough.
if anyone can help with this project please let me know. whether you know of anyone that has tried and failed or whether you know of anyone who also has the same thoughts and would like to be involved would be really helpful. i have done some leg work already but am looking to increase public support too but finding it difficult to get the word out.
all ideas welcome.
regards
danny

whoof

Re: support for Brecon/Merthyr railway line conversion in Caerphilly

Postby whoof » 15 Jun 2020, 9:41pm

Have you spoken to Sustrans?

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 15 Jun 2020, 9:44pm

Doesn't the Taff Trail follow much of the old rail route between Brecon and Merthyr (apart from where the Brecon Mountain Railway still runs on it)?
Why do you want another cycle route when there is a perfectly good one that follows closely to what you are asking for?

BTW, the Brecon to Merthyr line is in Powys and Merthyr Tydfil, not Caerphilly.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 16 Jun 2020, 8:32am

The Brecon & Merthyr Railway is the one in blue on the map here: https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/Gre ... rthyr.html . It's not just from Brecon to Merthyr and it does indeed go through Caerphilly. A fair bit is already cyclable railway path, but much isn't.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

dannypartridge76

Postby dannypartridge76 » 16 Jun 2020, 10:47am

Yes, I have spoken to Sustrans but still trying to get more info from them.
The route is not brecon to Merthyr it is the Brecon/Merthyr line from/to newport. Thanks for the additional info on it.
I am mainly looking for public support. If anyone knows of any other interested groups please let me know.