How to claim £50 for repairs!

Mike Sales

How to claim £50 for repairs!

Post by Mike Sales »

In order to participate in the scheme, bike repairers are required to meet certain criteria, including carrying £2 million in public liability insurance.

Full terms and conditions can be found when registering for the scheme, which is done through the Energy Saving Trust website, and which set out what are and are not considered as “eligible repairs,” as follows:

“Eligible Repairs” means repairs that are:

necessary to make cycles roadworthy and fit for purpose; and

carried out on premises in England.

Eligible Repairs may include:

repairing or replacing tyres, tubes, wheels and related components;

adjusting, repairing or replacing braking system components;

adjusting, repairing or replacing transmission system components;

repairing or replacing other essential components which prevent safe use of the cycle e.g. deteriorated grips or saddle;

repairing or replacement of components for permanently fitted lighting systems.

The following repairs are not Eligible Repairs:

a sale of replacement parts without any repair work.

replacement or upgrade of existing safe and roadworthy components;

replacement or repair of removeable lighting accessories.

The terms and conditions also stipulate that the customer, having sourced a registered bike mechanic through the Energy Saving Trust website, will need to provide proof of address matching the voucher details both when they drop the bike off for repair and when they collect it.

When claiming on the voucher, the repairer is also required to ensure that is accompanied by a photo of the bike that has been repaired under that voucher and which must “be a photo of the whole cycle, including frame and wheels, be clear and unobstructed [and] correspond with the description of the bike provided on the voucher details.”

https://road.cc/content/news/details-emerge-governments-fix-your-bike-vouchers-274765#block-node-comment-block-node-comments

I don't think I will bother.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
[XAP]Bob

Re: How to claim £50 for repairs!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:I don't think I will bother.

Good - it isn't for you, it's for big businesses... you're not going to pay a minister for their election next time are you.

OR:

Good, it's not for you, it's for people who have dug a bike out of the back of the garage.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Good - it isn't for you, it's for big businesses... you're not going to pay a minister for their election next time are you.

OR:

Good, it's not for you, it's for people who have dug a bike out of the back of the garage.

I cannot see much money being paid out, which is no doubt the idea.
I think very few bikes will be dug out.
I think it was to make a day's soundbite, without costing very much.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

OR:

gimick
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

OR:

I might get one of the old bikes out and get some new brake cables fitted. Of course I'll have to have someone else take it to the shop, then leave it in the garage for three days when it gets back... Might be cheaper just to buy a couple of metres of outers...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Was going to ask what people thought of the scheme and whether would participate.
All the responses look a bit cynical, but guess the scheme is aimed at people who don't regularly ride bikes.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Good - it isn't for you, it's for big businesses... you're not going to pay a minister for their election next time are you.

OR:

I might get one of the old bikes out and get some new brake cables fitted. Of course I'll have to have someone else take it to the shop, then leave it in the garage for three days when it gets back... Might be cheaper just to buy a couple of metres of outers...

If you know what outers are and what to do with them, the scheme isn't for you either. :-)

Seriously it's supposed to encourage non-cyclists to dig out their dusty old bikes and give cycling a go again, so it's not aimed at anyone who frequents this forum regularly. (Well, apart from the ones who run bike shops or work in them.) All the conditions are basically a long-winded way of saying "Don't take the mickey."
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Exactly - that’s what my first post said (well, that and the cynical).

Although the bike I have in mi d is headed to a household that wouldn’t know what outers are, so it’s actually pretty close to the desired use case. But I can’t access it anyway.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi All, I've got a 1950's WG Twiddle machine that needs a bit of TLC to get it running sweetly, but may not be achievable with just £50 off HMG?
Just a few components needed, rims, nice S-A hub, Williams chain-set, period bars & stem, right brakes, but I do have a few bits :lol:
Twiddle's are quite rare, one of the numerous Liverpool frame builders, I'll get there. TTFN MM
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

merseymouth wrote:Hi All, I've got a 1950's WG Twiddle machine that needs a bit of TLC to get it running sweetly, but may not be achievable with just £50 off HMG?
Just a few components needed, rims, nice S-A hub, Williams chain-set, period bars & stem, right brakes, but I do have a few bits :lol:
Twiddle's are quite rare, one of the numerous Liverpool frame builders, I'll get there. TTFN MM

Nice, and rather apt name :)
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Thanks for this very helpful .Please let us all know when the voucher scheme is fully operational as it will benefit a lot of us.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I can't see many getting any bike work /repairs done for £50.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Businesses can now register interest:
https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk

"The scheme is not yet open to the public. If you’ve got an old cycle that needs repairing, you can check back shortly to apply for a voucher."

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

hemo wrote:I can't see many getting any bike work /repairs done for £50.

I can see a fair few bikes getting out of a shed and having new cheap tyres/inners and a bit of wd40/gt85 on the chain. Maybe replace a brake cable or two.

That's what it's designed for, and it could have been used to do that really well.. it is of course so woefully late that it won't actually help anyone... unless...

What if this was a permanent scheme. "Bike in the back of the shed needs a once over" style funding.
Limit it to once every few years and it's an incredibly cheap way to enable more people to get that old bike out and realise that it is useful.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

9 o'clock Wednesday morning... s'pose it's better than last night's 404!
Doh!
Doh!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)