Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

pwa
Posts: 13245
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby pwa » 9 Jul 2020, 3:03pm

Gwynedd has started introducing passing distance signs, which they claim to be a UK first. Is that correct?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53338043

thirdcrank
Posts: 30025
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby thirdcrank » 9 Jul 2020, 3:13pm

From the link

Cyclists taking to mountain roads in one part of Wales will see new signs reminding motorists to keep their distance, said to be a first in the UK.


Let's hope

A Drivers see them

B Drivers observe them as an absolute minimum

C Heddlu Gogledd Cymru take a genuine interest

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3635
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Bmblbzzz » 9 Jul 2020, 3:35pm

I haven't seen or been made aware of any similar signs elsewhere in the UK, so it could well be a first. Of course there have been publicity campaigns but not AFAIK official road signs.

The sign itself isn't massively well designed though. The digits are too small and the vehicles proportionately too close.

Navara
Posts: 169
Joined: 29 Jun 2020, 11:38pm

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Navara » 9 Jul 2020, 3:50pm

They'll probably get vandalised.Putting up signs is on the right track but the mentality of drivers in the UK needs changing.
This will take years.The meme below was posted on a "friends" FB feed yesterday.He's a HGV driver.It's bad enough that he posts stuff like this but the fact it got 100s of "likes" and "thumbs up" shows what we're dealing with.

Image

OK it might be done in jest but I think he genuinely hates everyone else on the road.

*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.
He's also posted this amusing little sticker more than once:-

Image

I see a pattern in his behaviour.

Good on Wales for doing this but the UK has a long,long way to go.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14543
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Cyril Haearn » 9 Jul 2020, 4:33pm

@Navara
Please report the hate crimes you described
Thanks very much
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3635
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Bmblbzzz » 9 Jul 2020, 4:51pm

Navara wrote:*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.

So he's racist, nationalist and homophobic.

Navara
Posts: 169
Joined: 29 Jun 2020, 11:38pm

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Navara » 9 Jul 2020, 5:50pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:@Navara
Please report the hate crimes you described
Thanks very much

Hate crimes?
These statements/memes are all over social media and probably forums too.They're classed as "amusing".I doubt any Police would get involved as they aren't really targeting any one person.People just change the wording to fit into whatever group they want to aim the "fun" at!
The 2nd one is actually a sticker you can buy to stick to your vehicle!
Bmblbzzz wrote:
Navara wrote:*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.

So he's racist, nationalist and homophobic.

I think,like many,he falls into the "Gammon" category as he seems to hate anyone who isn't a 25st White,English Trucker.He's very far removed form the bloke we used to drink with 30-odd years ago.

reohn2
Posts: 40120
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby reohn2 » 9 Jul 2020, 5:57pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Navara wrote:*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.

So he's racist, nationalist and homophobic.

In short a moronic and despotic richardhead then?
There's quite a few littering up the place :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16363
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby mjr » 9 Jul 2020, 6:24pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:I haven't seen or been made aware of any similar signs elsewhere in the UK, so it could well be a first. Of course there have been publicity campaigns but not AFAIK official road signs.

The sign itself isn't massively well designed though. The digits are too small and the vehicles proportionately too close.

Does anyone know if they are a legal sign and, if so, what diagram number they are?

I wonder if they're doing a fairly broad subversion of the pedestrian information sign Diagram 857B.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 3635
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Bmblbzzz » 9 Jul 2020, 6:45pm

I've no idea what legal status it has but the more important thing is that it's "official" in that it has been put up by the relevant authority and looks the part. And in time it may be assigned its own DfT reference number (maybe diagram 1.5M :wink: ).

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16363
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby mjr » 9 Jul 2020, 6:59pm

Navara wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:@Navara
Please report the hate crimes you described
Thanks very much

Hate crimes?
These statements/memes are all over social media and probably forums too.They're classed as "amusing". [...]

Groping unwilling people used to be classed as "amusing" and now it's sexual assault, so these things are not set in stone.

[...] a 25st White,English Trucker.

I wonder if autocorrect got the last word there ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16363
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby mjr » 9 Jul 2020, 7:01pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:I've no idea what legal status it has but the more important thing is that it's "official" in that it has been put up by the relevant authority and looks the part. And in time it may be assigned its own DfT reference number (maybe diagram 1.5M :wink: ).

Oh sure, but if cyclists can tell their local highways departments to put up some of standard sign diagram whatever then it's easier than having yet another debate about sign wording and design where some muppet motorist says something like the council can't "go all the way for cycling" yet and waters it down to an unhelpful 1m design.

And I think you're hoping for far too much sanity in DfT numbering there ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

jimlews
Posts: 584
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 8:36pm
Location: Not the end of the world.

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby jimlews » 9 Jul 2020, 7:25pm

mjr wrote:
[...] a 25st White,English Trucker.

I wonder if autocorrect got the last word there ;)


I doubt it.
I think celibacy is his problem.
But I expect he just has to 'make a fist of it'.

Pete Owens
Posts: 1901
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby Pete Owens » 9 Jul 2020, 7:42pm

They aren't the first - I saw this one two years ago in Cumbria:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/101626/

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16363
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Postby mjr » 9 Jul 2020, 7:57pm

Pete Owens wrote:They aren't the first - I saw this one two years ago in Cumbria:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/101626/

Metal signs are a step up from Correx posters flyposted with cable-ties, aren't they?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.