Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

pwa

Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Post by pwa »

Gwynedd has started introducing passing distance signs, which they claim to be a UK first. Is that correct?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53338043
thirdcrank

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Post by thirdcrank »

From the link

Cyclists taking to mountain roads in one part of Wales will see new signs reminding motorists to keep their distance, said to be a first in the UK.

Let's hope

A Drivers see them

B Drivers observe them as an absolute minimum

C Heddlu Gogledd Cymru take a genuine interest
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I haven't seen or been made aware of any similar signs elsewhere in the UK, so it could well be a first. Of course there have been publicity campaigns but not AFAIK official road signs.

The sign itself isn't massively well designed though. The digits are too small and the vehicles proportionately too close.
Navara

Post by Navara »

They'll probably get vandalised.Putting up signs is on the right track but the mentality of drivers in the UK needs changing.
This will take years.The meme below was posted on a "friends" FB feed yesterday.He's a HGV driver.It's bad enough that he posts stuff like this but the fact it got 100s of "likes" and "thumbs up" shows what we're dealing with.

OK it might be done in jest but I think he genuinely hates everyone else on the road.

*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.
He's also posted this amusing little sticker more than once:-

I see a pattern in his behaviour.

Good on Wales for doing this but the UK has a long,long way to go.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@Navara
Please report the hate crimes you described
Thanks very much
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Navara wrote:*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.

So he's racist, nationalist and homophobic.
Navara

Post by Navara »

Cyril Haearn wrote:@Navara
Thanks very much

Hate crimes?
These statements/memes are all over social media and probably forums too.They're classed as "amusing".I doubt any Police would get involved as they aren't really targeting any one person.People just change the wording to fit into whatever group they want to aim the "fun" at!
The 2nd one is actually a sticker you can buy to stick to your vehicle!
Bmblbzzz wrote:
Navara wrote:*It may or may not be relevant but he also posts anti-EU,anti-immigration,anti-BLM,anti-LGBGT in fact anti-anything that he thinks goes against his "Englishness" or gets in his way out on his roads.

I think,like many,he falls into the "Gammon" category as he seems to hate anyone who isn't a 25st White,English Trucker.He's very far removed form the bloke we used to drink with 30-odd years ago.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

In short a moronic and despotic richardhead then?
There's quite a few littering up the place :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I haven't seen or been made aware of any similar signs elsewhere in the UK, so it could well be a first. Of course there have been publicity campaigns but not AFAIK official road signs.

The sign itself isn't massively well designed though. The digits are too small and the vehicles proportionately too close.

Does anyone know if they are a legal sign and, if so, what diagram number they are?

I wonder if they're doing a fairly broad subversion of the pedestrian information sign Diagram 857B.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've no idea what legal status it has but the more important thing is that it's "official" in that it has been put up by the relevant authority and looks the part. And in time it may be assigned its own DfT reference number (maybe diagram 1.5M :wink: ).
mjr

Post by mjr »

Navara wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:@Navara
Thanks very much

Hate crimes?
These statements/memes are all over social media and probably forums too.They're classed as "amusing". [...]

Groping unwilling people used to be classed as "amusing" and now it's sexual assault, so these things are not set in stone.

[...] a 25st White,English Trucker.

I wonder if autocorrect got the last word there ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:I've no idea what legal status it has but the more important thing is that it's "official" in that it has been put up by the relevant authority and looks the part. And in time it may be assigned its own DfT reference number (maybe diagram 1.5M :wink: ).

Oh sure, but if cyclists can tell their local highways departments to put up some of standard sign diagram whatever then it's easier than having yet another debate about sign wording and design where some muppet motorist says something like the council can't "go all the way for cycling" yet and waters it down to an unhelpful 1m design.

And I think you're hoping for far too much sanity in DfT numbering there ;)
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

mjr wrote:
[...] a 25st White,English Trucker.

I wonder if autocorrect got the last word there ;)

I doubt it.
I think celibacy is his problem.
But I expect he just has to 'make a fist of it'.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

They aren't the first - I saw this one two years ago in Cumbria:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/101626/
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote:They aren't the first - I saw this one two years ago in Cumbria:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/101626/

Metal signs are a step up from Correx posters flyposted with cable-ties, aren't they?