Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Oldjohnw

Re: Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Postby Oldjohnw » 30 Jul 2020, 4:23am

Grandad wrote:I wonder how many LBS's will accept these vouchers as they involve extra work to claim the money from the government,

There's a list of participating shops on the government website.
John

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 12 Aug 2020, 5:16pm

You can lead the horse to water but can't make it drink ...

its education, education, education - except that most of those who don't exercise now, simply won't.

Why cycling? Basically I would be much happier if took notice of thier GP's encouragement (either actively/face to face, or via the leaflets/posters/videos that I see whenever I visit(ed) my local surgery) to take more exercise in whatever form - giving someone who doesn't exercise a bike isn't going to do anything, just cost a lot of money. They won't use it.

Diabetics get a questionnaire from the GP or diabetic nurse at theier reviews, and these include questions about the level of exercise/what exercise is done etc. I suspect that where the patient is not exercising enough he/she gets a bit of a chat, some encouragement and maybe a leaflet or two - but then at the next review the same happens! (Not in my case at present I'm happy to say)

If they can't exercise enough due to some other physical problem then advice is readily available for alternatives 0 e.g. my friend who is diabetic but his exercise is now limited due to knee problems (he used to do 10-mile hikes frequently)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

mjr

Postby mjr » 12 Aug 2020, 6:18pm

Well I hope you have all seen the new TV and billboard adverts promoting www.nhs.uk/better-health

"Offers" like one month free at Weight Watchers. More naffing apps. I am underwhelmed. :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 13 Aug 2020, 1:01pm

rmurphy195 wrote:Why cycling? Basically I would be much happier if took notice of thier GP's encouragement (either actively/face to face, or via the leaflets/posters/videos that I see whenever I visit(ed) my local surgery) to take more exercise in whatever form - giving someone who doesn't exercise a bike isn't going to do anything, just cost a lot of money. They won't use it.

Certainly isn't my first choice for this purpose. (And I've already linked to the NICE recommendations before the political intervention.)

rmurphy195 wrote:Diabetics get a questionnaire from the GP or diabetic nurse at theier reviews, and these include questions about the level of exercise/what exercise is done etc. I suspect that where the patient is not exercising enough he/she gets a bit of a chat, some encouragement and maybe a leaflet or two - but then at the next review the same happens! (Not in my case at present I'm happy to say)

I think that this is probably being put in the "social prescribing" category, see above. That generally includes longer term support, coaching and monitoring, often in groups.

Jonathan

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 23 Aug 2020, 10:15am

The strategy to reduce obesity was led by Public Health England. That is to be disbanded with responsibilities for countering external threats moved to the new National Institute for Health Protection. No plans have been announced for the rest of public health.

Jonathan

greyingbeard

Postby greyingbeard » 23 Aug 2020, 11:03am

Whats the chances of persuading my GP to prescribe me a nice new bike 8)

I'll pig chips for a fortnite if it helps :lol: