Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Graham

Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Post by Graham »

Of course, it's been bleedin' obvious to us lot for decades that :-
- active lifestyles = GOOD
- sedentary lifestyles = BAD
. . . maybee, something to do with us animals evolved for being active versus "modern life" replacing all physical activity with fossil-fuelled machinery.

No need to move. . . just press a button and blob-out [ and stuff your face with highly processed sweet fat to blot out the mental anguish from that disconnect ].

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53541866

Another false dawn OR [another] first step on a VERY long journey ?

Previously on this Forum :
Diabetes NHS cost £10Billion, why no backing for cycling
Cycling & the Health of the Nation Article
Why we need to spend less on the NHS
etc. . . . . ad nauseum
David9694

Doctor, doctor!

Post by David9694 »

...can you give me something to help me lose weight?

DR. I can give you a scrip for cycling.

ME: sounds great

DR: anything specific?

ME: er, https://www.reillycycleworks.com/produc ... d-complete

DR: not sure you can get that on the NHS

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53541866 - GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy)
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Bonefishblues

Re: Doctor, doctor!

Post by Bonefishblues »

I see merger has already happened :)
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 26 Jul 2020, 9:33am, edited 1 time in total.
John Holiday

Re: Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Post by John Holiday »

See that Boris is described as "keen cyclist ".
Generally only see him climbing in to a large Jaguar!
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

John Holiday wrote:See that Boris is described as "keen cyclist ".

Given that he was also described as 'morbidly obese' during his illness, maybe not the best advert for the strategy.
I'm sure that this has been done done to death elsewhere on here, but given the inherent mechanical efficiencies of a bike, cycling would seem to be a particularly ineffective way for the average pootler to lose weight.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pendodave wrote:
John Holiday wrote:See that Boris is described as "keen cyclist ".

Given that he was also described as 'morbidly obese' during his illness, maybe not the best advert for the strategy.

Isn't that the point - he's had an epiphany, based on his almost dying because fat?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's quite a lot of attention to "social prescription" of all kinds, but not a lot of evidence of long-term effectiveness.

My wife was able to "prescribe" walking over a decade ago.

This is probably a good idea, but it needs to be accompanied by evaluation, and that should be open and independent. Controlled trials should be possible.

But it's not going to have much effect on its own without much wider and prolonged policies on health. And since it involves cycling it's also going to be limited without an integrated transport policy. (That's much less true for "prescribing" walking.)

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not bothered with the links but perhaps somebody knows and can explain what GPs will be able to prescribe? I doubt it's going to be a prescription for a bike, more likely something along the lines of "You need more exercise, you could try cycling."

My own personal experience was that when, as a frequent cyclist, I began to get pains in my chest when climbing hard, I explained to my GP with reference to a local modest hill so he would have an idea of what I was talking about. He simply could not believe that I was cycling all the way up.

(For anybody with local knowledge, I was referring to the the drag up the A 58 Whitehall Road from the Leeds Ring Road up to the turn off for Gildersome.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:I've not bothered with the links but perhaps somebody knows and can explain what GPs will be able to prescribe? I doubt it's going to be a prescription for a bike, more likely something along the lines of "You need more exercise, you could try cycling."

I don't know what's proposed in this specific instance, but "social prescribing" often goes beyond advice in a single consultation to include a coach, some monitoring, some sort of group/ club activity, social media, information sources...

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

De ja vu... ...again :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Jdsk wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I've not bothered with the links but perhaps somebody knows and can explain what GPs will be able to prescribe? I doubt it's going to be a prescription for a bike, more likely something along the lines of "You need more exercise, you could try cycling."

I don't know what's proposed in this specific instance, but "social prescribing" often goes beyond advice in a single consultation to include a coach, some monitoring, some sort of group/ club activity, social media, information sources...

Jonathan

As someone who walks, runs, cycles and golfs, it has always struck me that golf probably offers the most rounded life improvement experience. Only really works for those with some spare time though. I've never seen it advocated by NICE, sadly.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I help run a back to cycling group for over 50s. On Thursday all but one turned up on electric bikes, as did I ! :lol:

I wonder what 'prescribe' cycling actually means? What about a tax on junk food to fund bikes and cycling infrastructure?

Golf :( 19th hole problem....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They do say that raising both hands above your head can be a good way to trigger a heart attack. I've known a couple of golfing colleagues of whom it was said "He died doing what he liked doing" but who presumably hadn't been told of the dangers of following through.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote:As someone who walks, runs, cycles and golfs, it has always struck me that golf probably offers the most rounded life improvement experience. Only really works for those with some spare time though.

There'a wonderful letter written by Arthur Ashe to his daughters when he knew that he was dying of AIDS. He describes the difference between sports that you do when you're young but usually give up, and those that you keep up for life.

Pendodave wrote:I've never seen it advocated by NICE, sadly.

Neither have I. But here's a step in the right direction:
"Too many people missing out on health benefits of golf, says expert panel"
https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/too-many-people-missing-out-on-health-benefits-of-golf-says-expert-panel/
and the original paper with the evidence:
"2018 International Consensus Statement on Golf and Health to guide action by people, policymakers and the golf industry"
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/52/22/1426

Jonathan

PS:

There are two references to golf in current NICE guidance
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng34/chapter/1-Recommendations#atrisk-groups
https://www.nice.org.uk/sharedlearning/integrating-men-being-treated-for-prostate-cancer-into-exercise-referral-schemes

PPS:

NICE guidance on "Physical activity: walking and cycling"
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph41
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 Jul 2020, 10:41am, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote:I help run a back to cycling group for over 50s. On Thursday all but one turned up on electric bikes, as did I !

Well done. Exercising with others seems to help people keep it up.

I think that there's only one decent study but that showed that eBikers are getting more exercise than they would have done without them.

al_yrpal wrote:What about a tax on junk food to fund bikes and cycling infrastructure?

We're going to need different policies on food if we're going to make much impact on obesity or general health. But I wouldn't advocate hypothecation unless it unlocks a political barrier to getting something done.

Jonathan