axel_knutt

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation open until 27 October 2020

Post by axel_knutt »

NUKe wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 9:05am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450
it looks like we won. this is a big step forward for cycle Safety
Worth having, but I can't see it making much difference (unless they're changing the law as well?). From years of arguing with motorists on Twitter, it's pretty obvious that many of them decide who has right of way by who pays road tax, and not anything it says in the Highway Code.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From that BBC link
The DfT said the code's new hierarchy of road users would ensure "road users who can do the greatest harm", such as those in cars, vans and lorries, "have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger they may pose to others".
If that's correct - and I'll believe it when the final version of the new HC is published - then one big contribution should be a change over liability (compo) in personal injury cases. Presumably, the driving test will be revised to take account of the new HC so there will be a cohort of new road users who will have knowledge of it.

Something that can only be hoped for, is a revised Road Traffic Act in which the "bad driving" offences are defined with regard to the HC, rather than the current subjective definition.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The Department of Transport said the changes, along with an extra £338 million to boost cycling and walking, will help to sustain the increase in active travel during the pandemic.
So hopefully the extra funding will be in addition and hopefully spread evenly across the country.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One thing I've seen suggested is that some of that £338M will go to Highways England to preserve old bridges they want to demolish or fill in.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've not added up the council contributions, but I think Highways England will have to revise their approach to destroying old bridges because they've been told they need planning permission for some of them, I think including at least one they've already filled in with an avalanche of concrete.
Stevek76 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 11:14am
Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 9:15am Found it:

"£338 million package to further fuel active travel boom"
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/338- ... ravel-boom

This not just part of the £2bn over 5yrs being reannounced again?
It says it is a 30% increase over last year's announcement, so maybe 70% is a reannouncement but about £100m is new.

In any case, even if some had already been announced, at least this means they are actually passing it on to local government to spend, instead of saying there has been an underspend and cutting it.

Now the challenge is to get councils to spend it sensibly and not keep sneaking motoring projects onto the bill: the most recent one local to me replaced/widened/retimed a crossing but also resurfaced about 300m of A road while doing that, which was rather more than strictly needed by the crossing replacement.

Hopefully the withholding of funds from some of those who messed up in the second round will make a few of the wobbly councils realise that they must implement cycling and walking measures in full, as set out in design guides, and not compromise and subvert projects, lest they risk losing more money next year.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Bonefishblues wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:14pm
ChrisButch wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 11:52am
flat tyre wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 10:58am
Don't read the comments on the BBC webpage unless you want to get depressed!
Even more so if you look at the Mail Online. 600 comments and rising...Just when you think we're getting somewhere...
Vocal minorities are vocal, sadly.
I wish I could be more confident than I am that it is a minority.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Changes??

The current HC says "watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

Exactly this happened to me today. A van crossed in front of me, closely followed by a car. Fortunately the road was wide enough for them and me, even though I was a metre or so off the kerb.

What hope anyone will pay any attention to any new changes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Express headline on that includes "Highway Code rules change in full" and then speculates with "is thought to be included".

Is there any more content in that than in:
Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've found what seems to be the exact proposed new wording of some parts of the HC, in particular relating to motorways and what they now seem to be describing as "high speed roads." Zilch about the stuff mentioned on this thread. Surely, it must be there somewhere but this begins by saying it covers all the proposed changes.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y_Code.pdf
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. How interesting.

Could that be a previous set of changes working through the system?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not looked closely but it seems there has been more than one consultation and I only found that link by following the stuff from Highways England about theirs which was very recent. Obviously, they deal with motorways and what they once called trunk roads. Overall, the HC is under the aegis (?) of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency and they must have something in the pipeline or up their corporate sleeve. This is their latest contribution to global warming and with a very superficial glance I can't see anything about the HC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/latest?de ... rds-agency

PS I don't think there's likely to be much variation from the detailed proposed wording in the consultation document linked in your OP. In particular, the authorities seem unlikely to have trawled through the 14 pages of this thread for dissenters and IIRC, CUk is all for it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Response from the Road Hauliers Association "Why we believe the changes to the Highway Code are wrong"
https://news.rha.uk.net/2021/08/07/why- ... ntent.html
includes:

"The proposal which we most strongly object to is a new rule that gives cyclists priority when undertaking turning vehicles. We believe this is dangerous, and will result in more collisions between cyclists and other road users.
"The change proposed requires vehicles turning left to give way to cyclists coming from behind. All commercial vehicle drivers are trained to safely performing turns, but it simply isn’t always possible to see cyclists approaching from behind. We believe that the road user making the pass from behind has the responsibility to manoeuvre safely and that this proposal must be dropped."

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

The RHA are lying about the new rule and apparently care not for lives of cyclists when it reduces their members' profits.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 10:04pm Response from the Road Hauliers Association "Why we believe the changes to the Highway Code are wrong"
https://news.rha.uk.net/2021/08/07/why- ... ntent.html
includes:

"The proposal which we most strongly object to is a new rule that gives cyclists priority when undertaking turning vehicles. We believe this is dangerous, and will result in more collisions between cyclists and other road users.
"The change proposed requires vehicles turning left to give way to cyclists coming from behind. All commercial vehicle drivers are trained to safely performing turns, but it simply isn’t always possible to see cyclists approaching from behind. We believe that the road user making the pass from behind has the responsibility to manoeuvre safely and that this proposal must be dropped."

Jonathan
Having witnessed the aftermath of a cyclist killed when he was undertaking a HGV at a left turn at a local Junction (about 400yds from my house) I think this is quite sensible from the RHA. There is no way on this earth that when turning left I would consider undetaking any vehicle that was also turning left unless it was stationary at a traffic light and there was a marked cycle priority lane/junction.