Bmblbzzz

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation complete and Government response published

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 6:43pm
Pete Owens wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 6:04pm Has the bonkers suggestion to give priority to vehicles overtaking across the path of turning vehicles survived the consultation?
No, instead they have included the sane suggestion that vehicles turning across lanes should give way to vehicles continuing straight ahead in those lanes. ;)

I am sure you will also be happy that "Bear in mind that cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes or cycle tracks" is being added.
If the suggested new rule is indeed "turning across lanes" then it's going to be a problem. Most left-hooking incidents don't happen in cycle lanes, because most roads don't have them. Additionally, not all drivers consider a cycle-lane to be a proper lane. Cycle lanes aren't always continuous through junctions. And even where there are lanes they won't help, as was proposed, pedestrians crossing side roads.
Steady rider

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation complete and Government response published

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/adv ... t-0206.pdf
not sure if link has been provided previously.

I would suggest all HGVs be fitted with cameras, to record their movements, inside clearance. Would this also help avoid accidents in general, lower their insurance cost?

https://www.avr-commercial-vehicle-came ... ms-dvr-360

Should new HGV be fitted with cameras as part of their production? How could this be taken forward?
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Changes put to Parliament today. I'm not sure whether there have been any more changes, but the full text is at assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/gover ... y-code.pdf. 'Expected to go through unopposed'.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ChrisButch wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 4:56pm Changes put to Parliament today. I'm not sure whether there have been any more changes, but the full text is at assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/gover ... y-code.pdf. 'Expected to go through unopposed'.
Correct link is https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y-code.pdf

Thank you for spotting it and letting everyone know.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Helmet discussion split off to viewtopic.php?f=41&t=148978&p=1656917#p1656917
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This from the Daily Telegraph is about a report from the AA. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference to it on any of the AA/ AA Foundation websites

Latest changes to Highway Code could cause ‘danger and confusion’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/1 ... confusion/

From a cycling perspective, this seems to be the important bit:
Highway Code changes giving cyclists priority over drivers could cause "confusion and dangerous situations", the AA has warned as polling found two thirds of drivers are not aware of the incoming rules.

The new code is set to come into force on January 29 and means motorists will have to give way to cyclists and pedestrians at junctions.

The motoring organisation called on the Government to undertake an urgent education effort in the coming weeks to make drivers aware of the “fundamental changes” coming to the rules of the road.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 4:43pm This from the Daily Telegraph is about a report from the AA. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference to it on any of the AA/ AA Foundation websites

Highway Code changes giving cyclists priority over drivers could cause "confusion and dangerous situations", the AA has warned as polling found two thirds of drivers are not aware of the incoming rules.

The new code is set to come into force on January 29 and means motorists will have to give way to cyclists and pedestrians at junctions.

The motoring organisation called on the Government to undertake an urgent education effort in the coming weeks to make drivers aware of the “fundamental changes” coming to the rules of the road.
AA President Edmund King has backed the new changes in the Highway Code which will come into place from January next year.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/d ... y-25619940

Jonathan
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 5:41pm
thirdcrank wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 4:43pm This from the Daily Telegraph is about a report from the AA. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference to it on any of the AA/ AA Foundation websites

AA President Edmund King has backed the new changes in the Highway Code which will come into place from January next year.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/d ... y-25619940

Jonathan
Ah, damn, I've just clicked a link to the daily star... now I'm going to have to delete my search history otherwise my better half will have an intense and earnest conversation with me about objectify women and women's rights, which I will not enjoy, followed by a week of cold meals :(
It's time to go :-)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A case of SMIDSY?

When I look at that link it says dailystar (although it's not in hi-viz togs)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've got a specific question.

If the new priority rules aim to stop cars cutting turning left and cutting across pedestrians and cyclists routes across the side road junction or asking the main road/cyclepath. How much ahead of the cyclist should the turning car be before they're not in contradiction?
drossall

Post by drossall »

I don't think you'll find a special rule about that, because there's nothing special either about the overall rule. You're not supposed to overtake any vehicle and then turn across its path. Of course you can do that if you get half a mile up the road before turning though!

The general principle would be fairly obvious. If the overtaker causes the other to brake, or to have to consider slowing down, then it was too close. Whether it's a car overtaking a bike, or an Aston Martin overtaking your family car.

If it came to it, a court would review the evidence and decide or, in less-serious cases, I suppose that a police officer might take a view, and appropriate action.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just wonder how many people on this forum have a current Highway Code and how many ever look at it? (I have 2, one in house one in campervan and do occasionally look.)

Second question, how many people, including motorists, will get it read the new one? Unless the Govt make it a condition of driving, many of these changes will only be academic.

I vaguely remember they used to be issued when you applied for your first licence, but that was when the licence was a little red book.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You can see it online too. I don't have a copy but I do read it when needed online.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

simonhill wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 1:26pm Just wonder how many people on this forum have a current Highway Code
I have one, and very occasionally look up something. The thing that would get me these days is tram signs etc since I don't live anywhere near a town with them.

I also have a very few copies of old Codes, going back to the 70s. Handy when I think "I am sure something was included but has been removed".
drossall

Post by drossall »

I don't have one because I've used the online version for years. But do I look at that reasonably often, yes.