Recently imposed bikes restriction on Norwich - Liverpool train services

Suffolk audaxer

Recently imposed bikes restriction on Norwich - Liverpool train services

Postby Suffolk audaxer » 29 Jul 2020, 5:18pm

I'm looking for support from any of you who pre-Covid-19 BOOKED your bikes onto East Midland Rail (EMR) (previously East Midlands Trains) Norwich - Liverpool services to make ongoing journeys that also involve bike reservations.

If you are one, if you don't know already, I have a bit of bad news. They have stopped accepting bookings during the summer months. I was told by a customer service representative it was due to safety concerns on busy trains. As a maximum of just two bikes is allowed and considering the nature of the cycle space, plus having plentiful experience of taking my bike on summer services, that is tosh! That said, it would not surprise me if the customer service representative was assuming that or said it on the spur of the moment so it sounded a reasonable thing to have done. If it's not about safety, if anything, it makes the decision even more questionable. I suspect when the new management took over, they decided to review and it just did not occur to any of them that cyclists might want to use the services for ongoing journeys requiring reservations.

I have written to Alan Pilbeam, Abellio's chief operating officer and I'm intending to write another letter making further points. If you have used the services for that purpose or could be affected I would be grateful for your support in writing to either Alan Pilbeam or EMR. They are still accepting first-come,first-served. I understand, therefore, why some might feel it goes against the grain to complain about booking being stopped. Being able to book is important for those of us making ongoing journeys for tours and such like. Indeed, still allowing first-come, first-served somewhat contradicts the safety argument. If guards know where bikes will be coming on and being taken off, arguably, while accepting they can get bi=usy, they might be able to prepare for it.

Thank you in anticipation and if you write, please let me know.

mjr

Re: Recently imposed bikes restriction on Norwich - Liverpool train services

Postby mjr » 29 Jul 2020, 6:42pm

That's completely crackers. Where did you find this out? The previous policy still appears on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations ... icies.aspx and https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/t ... -on-trains and it still seems possible to book a bike online (on one of the few sites that does bike reservations).

Hopefully, you just got an undertrained customer service worker.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 Jul 2020, 3:48pm

Liverpool or Liverpool Street? :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

mjr

Postby mjr » 30 Jul 2020, 5:01pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Liverpool or Liverpool Street? :wink:

EMR don't run into Liverpool Street.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 1 Aug 2020, 1:43pm

mjr wrote:

Though it is quicker to go from Norwich to Liverpool via Liverpool Street - which might solve the problem of EMR. I don't know what the restrictions on the west coast mainline are.

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Aug 2020, 3:37pm

Pete Owens wrote:
mjr wrote:

Though it is quicker to go from Norwich to Liverpool via Liverpool Street - which might solve the problem of EMR. I don't know what the restrictions on the west coast mainline are.

Reservations on Avanti, first-come on Northwestern, in short. But it's dearer and not quicker to some places between Norwich and Liverpool.

Pendodave

Postby Pendodave » 1 Aug 2020, 9:42pm

Pete Owens wrote:
mjr wrote:

Wcml avanti services have the same cycle regulations as they've ever had. If you're going to Liverpool, there are 4 bookable slots per train.
You can pre book them at any manned booking office (providing the staff can find their way around the system).
You can chance your arm and turn up at Euston and book one right up to departure. But why would you.
It used to be bookable by phone, but I think that has been taken away at present.