Recently imposed bikes restriction on Norwich - Liverpool train services

Jdsk

Re: Recently imposed bikes restriction on Norwich - Liverpool train services

Post by Jdsk »

You can post inline images: would that work for this purpose?

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 16.45.31.png

It gets bigger and clearer if you open that in its own window or tab.

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Suffolk audaxer wrote:I've now received the response from East Midlands Rail.

As far as I can make out, it's not possible to post attachments on here. However, yes, they have banned reserving cycles on Norwich-Liverpool services, June-September, still trumpeting the safety argument, BUT have stated they will review it for 2021 in light of my comments. That in itself surely suggests the safety argument is a cop out. Their explanation of difficulties customers have experienced in getting on board and alighting with their luggage at Norwich (nowhere else seemingly!) makes me suspect the true reason is the time it takes, thus the potential impact on punctuality targets.

All that said, provided it's not stalling to give time to think up some other excuse, it's encouraging they are prepared to review. Thus any support is appreciated. The email address is "contact@eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk." You might like to head your email, "For the attention of Donna Morley," who is the person who replied to me. The freepost address is, "Freepost EMR CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTRE." but, while I could be wrong, I think addressing individuals using freepost causes problems.If you want to address it to Donna Morley (Senior customer Services Executive), the registered office address is, Abellio East Midlands Ltd, 2nd Floor, St Andrews House, 18-20 Andrews Street, London, EC4A 3AG.

I have also written further. If you would like to see the response and my further letter, please email me: johntommo6@btinternet.com.

If there is a way of posting attachments, let me know. I am something of a technophobe.

Excuse me if it is made clear elsewhere, but is it only the reservations which have been removed, or are no cycles now allowed on this route?
'Safety' is often used as a substitute for thought or responsibility, the rolling stock is the same as that used elsewhere on the network, so presumably it us related to overcrowding in some way?
I would take your concerns to the ORR (office of road and rail) , the DFT and your local MP. I think that waiting for the manager in a rail franchise to do something would be a very long wait indeed.
Suffolk audaxer

Recently imposed bikes restriction on Norwich - Liverpool train services

Post by Suffolk audaxer »

A while ago, I posted that East Midland Railway (EMR) has stopped bike reservations on Norwich - Liverpool services between May and September.

Some queried whether it was correct, as I also did. I now confirm it is, although it is only between Norwich and Peterborough.

Cutting the story short, I've had correspondence with EMR and I think I've persuaded them to reconsider. Nonetheless, I think it can only help if EMR receive further criticism of it. If you feel you want to do so, the email address is, contact@eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk. Alternatively, you can write to FREEPOST, EMR CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTRE. The possible more effective option, however, might be to write to the registered office: Abellio East Midlands Ltd, 2nd floor, St Andrews House, 18-20 Andrews Street, London EC$A 3AG. The person I've most recently corresponded with is Ruby Plant.

Thank you in anticipation.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Suffolk audaxer wrote:A while ago, I posted that East Midland Railway (EMR) has stopped bike reservations on Norwich - Liverpool services between May and September......

Do you mean that now you just turn-up with your bike and take a chance on space or they've stopped taking bikes at-all?

Ian
Suffolk audaxer

May to September, between Norwich and Peterborough, it means exactly that! Not very good if you've got a reservation on the East Coast mainline!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've contacted them - we have to keep on at them as gradually all our opportunities to take bikes by train are being chipped away! Thanks for raising the issue.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Very speedy and thorough response - but has left me rather disheartened...

I understand your frustration that customers are unable to reserve a cycle space during the Summer and early Autumn on our Regional routes. We are still allowing 2 cycles on board our trains and you are still welcome to travel with your bike.

This route becomes much busier during Summer months, particularly between Peterborough and Norwich owing to passengers choosing to travel by train to popular holiday destinations in East Anglia. The policy of not reserving bikes between Norwich and Peterborough during the summer holiday periods was one we adopted based on feedback from work done by East Midlands Trains, due to customer feedback and complaints received regarding clashes between customers in regards to bike and luggage space.

There are many more passengers wishing to travel with luggage than cycles during this time. Based on feedback following the removal of cycle reservations, we had positive reactions from on-board staff who had previously encountered issues with the luggage space available.

Due to the current pandemic we are doing everything we can to ensure that passengers and staff are observing social distancing and this means that it is unlikely that more than 2 cycles will be allowed on our services, whereas previously extra cycles would be allowed to board at the discretion of the Train Manager or Senior Conductor based on passenger volumes.

I have spoken with our Reservations Controller who has confirmed that we will be reviewing the impact this has had this year and , along with any changes to new rolling stock we may be introducing, these reviews will help us to determine whether to pursue a similar policy next year. While we cannot make any immediate changes, your comments have been helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch

Kind regards
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Suffolk audaxer

Even though you may not have expected me to respond, nevertheless I apologise for not doing so sooner. I must get into the habit of looking on this Forum more frequently.

It seems they saved themselves brain work with your reply as it is word for word the same as their first response to me. I think, however, I can claim to be the one who has prompted them to review it.

I suggest we tackle them again in the new year, say around the end of January. If you are happy to let m have your email address, I could send you copies of all my correspondence.