Fendon Road Roundabout, Cambridge.

thirdcrank

Fendon Road Roundabout, Cambridge.

Post by thirdcrank »

This new roundabout seems to have generated controversy locally, but I cannot find anything about it on here

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... g-18692817
Cyril Haearn

Re: Fendon Road Roundabout, Cambridge.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looks complicated, confusing, frightening even
I should avoid it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

More info here

https://www.camcycle.org.uk/blog/2020/0 ... oundabout/

It's really not that complicated or frightening when seen in the flesh. I have ridden across / around it several times now, felt no fear, and lived to tell the tale.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Jonathan
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It does rely on drivers giving way which is something many/most British drivers don't do. HC modification needed??
Edit Answer my own question. No it has Belisha beacons which interestingly are either side of the the cycle and pedestrian crossing lane. It didn't stop one driver stopping on the crossing though :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It looks like what all(urban)roundabouts should look like IMO,motor traffic should always give way to vulnerable road users.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It looks good for cycling so long as you keep to the carriageway and avoid the dangerous red nonsense.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

MikeF wrote:It does rely on drivers giving way which is something many/most British drivers don't do. HC modification needed??

The Dutch compared the relative safety of giving priority to cyclists or motors - and found the later to be significantly less dangerous - so now mark the give way markings to give priority to the main carriageway.
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

Pete Owens wrote:
MikeF wrote:It does rely on drivers giving way which is something many/most British drivers don't do. HC modification needed??

The Dutch compared the relative safety of giving priority to cyclists or motors - and found the later to be significantly less dangerous - so now mark the give way markings to give priority to the main carriageway.

Not quite.

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/tag/ ... e%20street.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

amaferanga wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:

Not quite.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Jonathan
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

amaferanga wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:

Not quite.

All that says is that some cycling organisations still argue for the more dangerous priority to cycleway arrangements - despite the evidence that it is much safer to give the main carriageway priority. NL had large numbers of roundabouts with different priority arrangements so had enough data to make a reliable comparison. Danish researchers have also studied this and found the same.

Of course the safest option of all is to ride on the main carriageway - which in this case has been made cycle friendly by the compact continental geometry - single lane entry and exit arms, perpendicular to a single lane roundabout.
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

"In the Netherlands the guidelines are clear: in the built-up area cycling must have priority over motor traffic and outside the built-up area it is the other way around"

This doesn't fit with your statement:

"The Dutch compared the relative safety of giving priority to cyclists or motors - and found the later to be significantly less dangerous - so now mark the give way markings to give priority to the main carriageway"

Read all of the article, not just the bits that fit with your agenda. And when you make wild claims, please back them up with evidence.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote:Of course the safest option of all is to ride on the main carriageway - which in this case has been made cycle friendly by the compact continental geometry - single lane entry and exit arms, perpendicular to a single lane roundabout.

And what's your experience of each approach to priority when cycling in the Netherlands?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

So that'l be £24billion to do the rest of the roundabouts then. A bargain.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche