The Book of Trespass

Tangled Metal

Re: The Book of Trespass

Post by Tangled Metal »

The other day my 7 year old son said that all gold courses should be turned into parks for the free use of all. It came up after someone mentioned the Lancaster golf course we saw people on opposite the Caton road MacD. It looked really nice up there but the only people enjoying it were middle or older aged men wearing silly clothing and hitting balls with sticks. Pointless! Common sense views from a 7 year old!! :D

You could say cricket pitches could have a better use too and football pitches. How about every football pitch being used as a local people's parliament to drive the policies that council's have to put in place?? Make anyone wanting to play football take up running or cycling for exercise instead?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Grouse Moors are effectively a monoculture kept so artificially. A lot of forestry is also monoculture and a waste of land. Albeit pretty poor land but still a waste. It should be more native woodland not single species evergreens planted unnaturally close and uniformly. Still it was supposed to be a tax benefit once,ridiculous!!!

Shooting only estates I don't agree with but I do not have a problem with estates that use shooting as an extra income for their farming business. Also shooting isn't a far right activity. Not least because a majority of far right are working class. I'm sure you're not saying Tommy Robinson goes shooting grouse or other prey come the glorious twelfth!!! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TM
Not only are you and me in agreement but your son is also in agreement too :D

Yer bringing that lad up properly :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:The other day my 7 year old son said that all gold courses should be turned into parks for the free use of all. It came up after someone mentioned the Lancaster golf course we saw people on opposite the Caton road MacD. It looked really nice up there but the only people enjoying it were middle or older aged men wearing silly clothing and hitting balls with sticks. Pointless! Common sense views from a 7 year old!! :D

You could say cricket pitches could have a better use too and football pitches. How about every football pitch being used as a local people's parliament to drive the policies that council's have to put in place?? Make anyone wanting to play football take up running or cycling for exercise instead?

Our nearest cricket wicket is about 200 metres from where I sit now and it is on one of our two village greens, so anyone can walk all over it any time except for the half a dozen times a year that the game is played there. The rugby ground was similarly open to everyone most of the time, but the rugby no longer happens so the field is now just a recreation area. And our nearest golf course has bridleways criss-crossing it so that has plenty of access too. I've seen people riding horses over it. So sport facilities don't have to be completely at odds with public access.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:TM

He also thinks Corbyn is an idiot so he's got a lot if sense for a youngster!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Our cricket pitch is a bar with a lawn. No access except through the bar.

Football team has a ground down a road that often has the huge security gates shut and locked. Of course that's because it's on a piece of land that was due yoo be developed into 500 houses. Of course now it's taken off the local plan door housing in favour of quarrying that's not been deemed economically viable for 20 years at least.

Reason for ending the 200 accessible houses, 300 market rate houses, new primary school, new sporting complex and new ground for the local football team was given that it would put houses too close to an existing quarry. But instead they put it down due quarrying thus potentially causing a quarry to be opened up next to... anyone guess? That's right the quarry would few right text to an existing housing estate.

Sorry for the digression but land use decisions are made by muppets without a real connection to the community they represent or work for. However one good thing was someone put in a complaint about the housing development (government northern powerhouse at the time) blocking off access to the numerous public footpaths and historical access to the site. After a couple of years they finally decided oops you're right, here is an access gate for pedestrians and replacement footpath signs for the ones they got rid of.

Rant over!
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

jgurney wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:It comes down to a fundamental philosophical question. By what right does one individual have to exclude the rest of humanity from any particular part of the surface of the planet?

Because Parliament have accepted that individuals and bodies corporate can be the freeholders of land, and that such freeholders (and if applicable their tenants) can exclude others from their homes, gardens, fields, etc. Parliament has the right to decide that because the people elected its' members.

So would parliament of today accept forceable appropriation of land and denying the rights of weaker people to use it? Because that is how all land ownership originally took place.

It does come down to jgurney's question.
I personally go where-ever I like provided I think I can get away with it. I take great joy in cycling down majestic drives to look at large private mansions and estates. There are some beautiful through routes on private land and farms. I've yet to be challenged! The few people I meet are usually very chatty, I always start with 'I think I might have made a mistake here', so far the responses have been friendly, nay welcoming. I think country folk welcome a good chinwag.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:

What's his views on BoJo?
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Tree acres, that is quite a lot
Have you set out paths and benches to rest, maybe a pond?
If you tolerate or invite people on to your land, do you have a responsibility to ensure their safety?
Sorry, missed this.

Most of our land is on quite a slope, and there's two acres of it of woodland.
No pond is possible, but we do have a couple of benches .......... and nice long swing off a high branch.

Photo of a few years back.
Sunshine.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Two acres of woodland and one acre of what?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Tangled Metal wrote:Reason for ending the 200 accessible houses, 300 market rate houses, ...

Just to take us even further off topic; that we can distinguish between "market rate" and "accessible" houses tells a lot about the way we view housing. (But, despite the term "accessible", not much about access to land and trespass.)
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

reohn2 wrote:And just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons the same goes for golf courses which,although a fairly benign hobby,requires vast tracks of land for the pleasure of the few who can afford it and are manicured to within an inch(literally in some parts of a golf course)of it's life.

Actually if you look at a satellite image, the %age of a golf course which is manicured is very small. Essentially it's just the greens and the main issue there is the run-off of any chemicals they use on the grass. The fairways are mown to different heights which creates a number of different micro-habitats for a wide variety of wildlife. Golf course are often very good habitats for wildlife.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PaulaT wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons the same goes for golf courses which,although a fairly benign hobby,requires vast tracks of land for the pleasure of the few who can afford it and are manicured to within an inch(literally in some parts of a golf course)of it's life.

Actually if you look at a satellite image, the %age of a golf course which is manicured is very small. Essentially it's just the greens and the main issue there is the run-off of any chemicals they use on the grass. The fairways are mown to different heights which creates a number of different micro-habitats for a wide variety of wildlife. Golf course are often very good habitats for wildlife.

I'm aware of that,though it's still manicuring of large areas of the landscape for what are only a few people to play a game.TM mentions football stadia and cricket pitches,but their use per head are small by comparison.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
PaulaT wrote:

I'm aware of that,though it's still manicuring of large areas of the landscape for what are only a few people to play a game.TM mentions football stadia and cricket pitches,but their use per head are small by comparison.

I expect your views accurately reflect your own area, but where I am the nearest golf courses have active public Rights of Way across them, so they are not completely closed to the public. And thinking about it, the leisure activity that occupies the most land around here is horse riding, not golf, with lots of fields used for keeping horses.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:

What's his views on BoJo?

Idiot!!

Told you he's got uncanny common sense for a 7 year old. :lol: