Jdsk

West Midlands Strategy and the "Starley Network"

Postby Jdsk » 13 Aug 2020, 8:50am

Image Attachments
Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 08.49.10.png

mjr

Re: West Midlands Strategy and the "Starley Network"

Postby mjr » 13 Aug 2020, 12:44pm

Any locals willing to comment? The southern Coventry routes on that map look like what was already there when I visited years ago. Overall, it looks more like a patchwork than a network.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

RichK

Postby RichK » 13 Aug 2020, 1:32pm

Can't see anything new here locally apart from the already proposed (but no visible progress yet) "pop up" along the A38. Looks to me more like a box ticking exercise rather than a real attempt at producing a useable network.

boris

Postby boris » 15 Aug 2020, 2:42pm

Half million pounds per mile should make a big difference and the cycle network could be properly done with priority at junctions etc, but most of us must be thinking it will be £200milion of hire bikes which I will never need and tankers full of green paint and 'cycle lane ends' signs.

There are currently cycling signs along the A38 and A50 at junctions and slip-roads which must be meant as a joke. For most of their length they are substandard motorways with no hard shoulders. The right to cycle on such roads could be re-established with separate paved tracks built on the verges. Then we have to see if they have a smooth surface and are maintained long-term.

I'll believe it when I see it. Cycle facilities in UK are so often dangerously faulty that the network as a whole has to be used with scepticism.