Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

rareposter

Re: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

Post by rareposter »

Stevek76 wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:16pm
One would hope that whatever actual design is used doesn't end up being some hideous Exhibition Road style shared space in the parts still actually used by motor vehicles. Surfaces like that are terrible for those with limited vision and will quickly become a maintenance nightmare.
This - as soon as you start using individual bricks for road surfacing, maintenance becomes a nightmare. A single loose brick becomes a major hazard for cyclists, pedestrians, wheelchairs and buggies. They also have a habit of being very slippery when wet which again becomes a nightmare for cyclists.

As you say, city / landscape architects need dissuading from these "urban plaza" / shared space things. More trees, less traffic etc is always welcome but at least put a proper grippy surface that is easy to clean and maintain with delineation for users.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I expect to cycle through Broad Street in Oxford tonight:
https://theoxfordmagazine.com/news/icon ... ad-meadow/

Jonathan
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Stevek76 wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:16pm anything carrying more than insignificant levels of motor traffic should be clearly delineated,
Only from an auto-supremacist view considering streets as a conduit for high speed motor traffic above all other considerations

The entire point of delineaion is to facilitate high speeds - giving drivers the confidence that there is clear space ahead of them and placing the responsibility on pedestrians to keep clear of tha path of the motors rather than drivers looking where they are going.

Removing that deineation is a critical traffic calming feature and key to establishing that as an enviornment that operates on pedestrian rather than vehicle rules
same goes for any cycle (and other low speed/power personal transportation devices) lanes.
Indeed so - exactly the same is true here. If you designate part of a pedestrian area to cyclists then you create the same expectation in the cyclists using it that pedestrians should keep clear of the space in front of them so that they can blast through at speed. We often read posts in this forum complaining about the pedestrians wandering about, not looking, stepping into their path and so on - but in a civilised society you should be free to wander care free.
Landscape architects need to be kept on a tight leash...
On the contrary we need to reclaim our cities from decades of vandalism by traffic engineers. We need to start prioritising people over vehicles.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Pete Owens wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:41amOn the contrary we need to reclaim our cities from decades of vandalism by traffic engineers. We need to start prioritising people over vehicles.
This. I believe part of the problem is that traffic flow is measured in Passenger Car Units… the problem being that passenger cars are a particularly inefficient way of moving people, and a PCU may only represent one person moving.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

rareposter wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 9:19am
Stevek76 wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:16pm
One would hope that whatever actual design is used doesn't end up being some hideous Exhibition Road style shared space in the parts still actually used by motor vehicles. Surfaces like that are terrible for those with limited vision and will quickly become a maintenance nightmare.
This - as soon as you start using individual bricks for road surfacing, maintenance becomes a nightmare. A single loose brick becomes a major hazard for cyclists, pedestrians, wheelchairs and buggies. They also have a habit of being very slippery when wet which again becomes a nightmare for cyclists.

As you say, city / landscape architects need dissuading from these "urban plaza" / shared space things. More trees, less traffic etc is always welcome but at least put a proper grippy surface that is easy to clean and maintain with delineation for users.
A surfacing I've seen in some countries for pedestrianised areas and low-traffic residential side streets is something that appears to be individual bricks, presumably to assuage those with a romantic idea of the past, but in fact each 'brick' or tile (I've seen both rectangular 'bricks' and hexagonal 'tiles') is part of a larger cluster. So it's more like paving slabs in practice but with the appearance of bricks.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'd say delineation is not a simple yes/no matter. It depends on volumes too. For instance, here's Prince Street Bridge in Bristol:
https://goo.gl/maps/LKBaNSpgF1qTffs88

Pavements both sides, the r'h carriageway as we look at it is for (vehicular) traffic coming towards the camera. The other side is for pedestrians, in both directions, only. In practice, particularly on a sunny day when there are lots of people milling round the docks, the part dedicated to cyclists – ie to the left of the central girder as we look at it but at 'road' level rather than the raised section to the edge – is full of pedestrians. Simple numbers.

Which is why the most important thing to do to make any "shared space" etc is to reduce numbers of cars and other motor vehicles. If the area is still busy with traffic, no pretty paving or low speeds can make it people-friendly.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Pete Owens wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:41am
The entire point of delineaion is to facilitate high speeds - giving drivers the confidence that there is clear space ahead of them and placing the responsibility on pedestrians to keep clear of tha path of the motors rather than drivers looking where they are going.

Removing that deineation is a critical traffic calming feature and key to establishing that as an enviornment that operates on pedestrian rather than vehicle rules
Unfortunately in the real world none of what you say happens. Motor vehicles use their weight, noise and armour to dominate anyway and it's only a tiny fraction of the population who are willing to assert their rights as pedestrians over motor vehicles in such environments, while I am one of those people, I'm very aware that I can only do it because I'm a fully able bodied person with a certain attitude that means I'm both willing to play such games of chicken and have the physical ability to get out of the way in the unlikely event the motor vehicle doesn't yield. Suggest you take a visit to Exhibition Rd if you want to see how this stuff really doesn't work.

That's not to say that nice paving can't ever work, but as I nod to with the 'carrying more than insignificant levels of motor traffic' it needs to be preceded, or concurrent with actual demand management. It works fine on streets that are already quiet (because they serve little transport use) or on those that are made quiet through restriction of motor vehicles.

That the ave de champs elysees is to maintain the central lanes of motor traffic and the 4 lanes presented in the render indicates neither of these apply. As presented it will remain a motor traffic sewer and hostile, survival of the fittest environment.

Not to mention that this is also a significant bus route and a quick look at a map shows there aren't any reasonable alternatives. Pretty paving doesn't tend to stay pretty all that long when faced with heavy vehicles.
Pete Owens wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:41am but in a civilised society you should be free to wander care free.
That has to be balanced with the need for people (of all ages and abilities) to get about (ideally not by car). Designating and properly designing a street as pedestrianised is fine, half way house shared space without the demand management to back it up isn't.

As before you seem to be willingly misinterpreting my views as 'auto-supremacist' when it's precisely the opposite.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:34pm Which is why the most important thing to do to make any "shared space" etc is to reduce numbers of cars and other motor vehicles. If the area is still busy with traffic, no pretty paving or low speeds can make it people-friendly.
Yep, many existing UK efforts are a result of misunderstanding continental examples, thinking that it was the urban realm that calmed/removed the motor traffic rather than the urban realm being improved after the traffic was removed/eliminated.

Prince St bridge should never have been reopened to motor vehicles. Approximately 40% of the space wasted on a tiny portion of the overall flow. Yet another Rees failure on transport sadly.
Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:23pm A surfacing I've seen in some countries for pedestrianised areas and low-traffic residential side streets is something that appears to be individual bricks, presumably to assuage those with a romantic idea of the past, but in fact each 'brick' or tile (I've seen both rectangular 'bricks' and hexagonal 'tiles') is part of a larger cluster. So it's more like paving slabs in practice but with the appearance of bricks.
Low or no motor traffic being the key part there, still probably isn't going to fair well vs buses.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
RickH

Post by RickH »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:16pm
Pete Owens wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:41amOn the contrary we need to reclaim our cities from decades of vandalism by traffic engineers. We need to start prioritising people over vehicles.
This. I believe part of the problem is that traffic flow is measured in Passenger Car Units… the problem being that passenger cars are a particularly inefficient way of moving people, and a PCU may only represent one person moving.
Measuring traffic flows by cars rather than people gives a very distorted view. I came across this graphic illustrating the people capacity of a single 3.5m wide space (lane) using different means of travel. Unsurprisingly the car comes out worst.
Traffic flows by usage
Traffic flows by usage
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Data from the consultation in Oxford, but I can't find the primary source or the methodology:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19459 ... -proposal/

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Interestingly the people who lived in the proposed LTNs seemed a lot more supportive than those who didn’t…
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 11:34am Data from the consultation in Oxford, but I can't find the primary source or the methodology:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19459 ... -proposal/

Jonathan
Standard consultation so not to be used like it's being used :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 11:36am Interestingly the people who lived in the proposed LTNs seemed a lot more supportive than those who didn’t…
That may be due to fear of the unknown combined with the marketing own-goal of "low traffic" in the name which implies to many unfamiliar with it that no people or trade will go there. The US term "low car" or the Dutch-inspired "nearly-car-free" would have been better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlXNVnftaNs
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Impacts of 2020 Low Traffic Neighbourhoods in London on Road Traffic Injuries":
https://findingspress.org/article/25633 ... c-injuries

Abstract in full:
We assessed the impacts of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs) implemented in 2020 on road traffic injuries. We used police data from October-December 2018/2019 (pre) compared with the same period in 2020 (post). We found absolute numbers of injuries inside LTNs halved relative to the rest of London (ratio 0.51, p<0.001). Considering changes in background travel patterns, our results indicate substantial reductions in pedestrian injury risk. Risks to other road users may also have fallen, but by a more modest amount. We found no evidence of changes in injury numbers or risk on LTN boundary roads.

Guardian coverage:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... tudy-shows

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"East Oxford is set to turn into a 'Mini Holland' under schemes being lined up across Oxfordshire aimed at giving cyclists and pedestrians priority over motorists.
"A county council bid for up to £15 million of Government funds will also include an effort to make it easier for family doctors to 'socially prescribe' walking and cycling on safer streets."

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19485 ... d-schemes/

Jonathan