Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

ratherbeintobago

Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Sounds like it’s all getting a bit heated, with planters being uprooted etc.

Anyone on the ground able to comment on what’s actually going on?
Last edited by ratherbeintobago on 30 Aug 2020, 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LTNs?

Post by Mick F »

What is an LTN?
Mick F. Cornwall
ratherbeintobago

Low Traffic Neighbourhood.

Looks to be use of planters etc. to deter use of residential streets as through routes, mainly in London.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

London eh?
That's why I've never heard of it.

Anything to do with London, and my ........ and most people we know .......... switch off our brains.
Mick F. Cornwall
ratherbeintobago

Re: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

Well, yes. I certainly wouldn’t want to live there. However, it’s still be interesting to know if things are as reported.

(Thread title changed for clarity).
mjr

Post by mjr »

Not only London but there are more there than anywhere else.

Which one's getting heated?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Xbigman

Post by Xbigman »

There was quite a rant against this in the Daily Mail a few days ago. All about how Khan is waging a war on cars. A truly one sided story if ever there was one. Like others have said London is far enough from Yate (Bristol) that its all a bit unreal so I took it all with a pinch of salt.
Low and behold I get an email about a consultation to put cycle lanes on Station rd on the monday. On tuesday I rode that way and it was a sea of no parking cones and double yellow lines. Today I rode it and the cycle lanes are in, car parking is out. That does bring it home that just maybe something has changed in the country and not just London.

Darren

The picture is looking up Station road to the railway station bridge. Note all the cones and new double yellow lines in the distance.
Shop owners are not happy.
Attachments
DSCF0747.JPG
Xbigman

Post by Xbigman »

Here's what it looks like today. Decent width lanes and the paint is pretty thick and has a hatched pattern to 'rumble' cars that stray.

Next to the chap in the high viz you can see some cones pushed out into the bike lane. Someone has apparently been doing that to block the lane all morning.

Darren
Attachments
DSCF0756.JPG
ratherbeintobago

Xbigman wrote:Next to the chap in the high viz you can see some cones pushed out into the bike lane. Someone has apparently been doing that to block the lane all morning.

The sense of entitlement some people have over a shared space is amazing, isn’t it? :-P

Are they putting wands in in due course, do you know?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Some mandatory lanes a few miles from home have had a buff surface applied and wands added. No properties fronting the road so I'm hoping it won't court too much controversy.
IMG_20200827_105748.jpg

I've ridden up both before and after. It's a marginally more comfortable experience now but you're still close to fast moving traffic. Riding down I tended to be outside the lane as it was too narrow. It's been widened a little but I've yet to try it, I may take the trailer.

There's a mini-LTN coming soon near to what used to be my commute, a couple of planters on some minor rat runs and a bit of pop-up cycleway on a main road that's only got a well worn advisory lane at present. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Xbigman

Post by Xbigman »

The Yate changes are under a temporary order with a consultation lasting until the 21st Feb about this becoming permanent. The full plans include some magic wands and colouring the lanes green where they cross side roads. Oh, and 'a' planter.
There are already comments about empty cycle lanes and parking. I suspect blocking the lanes is to discourage their use. I certainly hope they stay in.

Darren
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Xbigman wrote:Here's what it looks like today. Decent width lanes and the paint is pretty thick and has a hatched pattern to 'rumble' cars that stray.

To see how much less space cyclists get when cycle lanes are installed take a look at:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/report/cycle-lanes.pdf

I though the government was putting a stop to that sort of rubbish.
Xbigman

Post by Xbigman »

You are preaching to the converted I'm afraid. The cycle lane on Scott way is perhaps 2 thirds of the width of the new lanes and I've been cut up on it a few times. The new lanes are quite wide enough for cyclists to be away from traffic and two cyclists can overtake each other in reasonable safety.
At the far end where the turn right lane is now the straight on lane the cycle lane is the same width as the road. It's nice to have the room but I've seen a car go down the lane thinking its a car lane.

I've been critical of South Glos council more than once but they've done a good job here so far.

Darren
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

gaz wrote:Some mandatory lanes a few miles from home have had a buff surface applied and wands added. No properties fronting the road so I'm hoping it won't court too much controversy.

Since the entire purpose of auto-supremacist c**p such as that is to force cyclists to the left to facilitate close passing so drivers do not have to slow down to overtake properly then it is not going to be in the slightest controversial to motorists. Not content with forcing cyclists into the gutter they insist on providing a rough lumpy surface and restricting what little width left for cyclists by posts.

Perhaps you could take a tape measure next time and determine that lane is more or less than half the 2.25m the West Midland police regard as necessary.
https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/passing-distance-west-midlands-police.jpg
Last edited by Pete Owens on 31 Aug 2020, 5:39pm, edited 1 time in total.