Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

Pete Owens

Re: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

Post by Pete Owens »

Xbigman wrote:You are preaching to the converted I'm afraid.

Really - I posted showing how cycle lanes make conditions worse for cyclist - you claim to understand yet still advocate cycle lanes. I didn't think there was anyone left who supported painted cycle lanes. Even the government claimed it will no longer fund them.
The cycle lane on Scott way is perhaps 2 thirds of the width of the new lanes and I've been cut up on it a few times. The new lanes are quite wide enough for cyclists to be away from traffic

How wide exactly?
You need 2.25m to ensure there is enough space for cyclists to be clear of the kerb and for 1.5m passing distance.
and two cyclists can overtake each other in reasonable safety.

And you need 3.5m for that (basically the full width of a normal traffic lane).
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Well, the difference between wands and paint is that the thud drivers hear when they stray into the cycle lane will hopefully be wands rather than cyclists…
ossie

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote:Not only London but there are more there than anywhere else.

Which one's getting heated?

Last edited by ossie on 30 Oct 2022, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Pete Owens wrote:Perhaps you could take a tape measure next time ...

Thanks for the reminder, I'll be surprised if either is even the 1.5m minimum that applied in the guidance when they first went in.

Measured base of wand to kerb, 1.1m :( . Marginal gain?
Last edited by gaz on 1 Sep 2020, 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Xbigman

Post by Xbigman »

Pete Owens wrote:
Xbigman wrote:You are preaching to the converted I'm afraid.

Really - I posted showing how cycle lanes make conditions worse for cyclist - you claim to understand yet still advocate cycle lanes. I didn't think there was anyone left who supported painted cycle lanes. Even the government claimed it will no longer fund them.
The cycle lane on Scott way is perhaps 2 thirds of the width of the new lanes and I've been cut up on it a few times. The new lanes are quite wide enough for cyclists to be away from traffic

How wide exactly?
You need 2.25m to ensure there is enough space for cyclists to be clear of the kerb and for 1.5m passing distance.
and two cyclists can overtake each other in reasonable safety.

And you need 3.5m for that (basically the full width of a normal traffic lane).

The photo you showed was of a cycle lane that was too narrow. The point being that cars will pass too closely because they think you are safe in another lane, and I completely agree. There are lanes like that in Yate and I've suggested their removal as they make the situation worse.
Your argument (which I didn't completely appreciate until now) appears to be that showing a photo of a narrow cycle lane condemns all cycle lanes to the dustbin. This I think is simply wrong. The new cycle lanes on station road are decent width and reasonably thought out. Prior to there installation there were parking bays down much of the road with double yellow lines in places between the bays. Riding this road was a nightmare. As traffic speeded up cyclists tended to get pushed aside where there were no cars parked and then had to stop and rejoin the flow of traffic. The new layout is vastly superior and it has my full support.
The alternative was to take out the parking and make it a straight forward wide road. The problem being that with a free run it would likely lead to an increase in traffic speeds and the width of the road would mean cars squeezing past cyclists without going over the center line. Not a road I would like to ride on.

You also claim the government no longer funds this type of infrastructure. Well guess who paid for all this?

Darren
ratherbeintobago

We have kind of drifted off topic here…
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

There has been a very good Low Traffic Neighbourhood created in Islington just east of the Angel area. This already had some traffic calming and some very useful cycling cut-throughs to avoid busy roads. Islington council have greatly improved the area for walking and cycling with just a handful of road closures. Similar improvements have also been made immediately next to this area in Hackney so that you now have a very good linear route of very quiet roads with increasing levels of cycling. Modal share in Hackney is about 7 or 8 percent compared with 2.5 or 3 percent for the whole of London and 2 percent across the UK. Most residents in this area supported the LTN and few drive. The demonstrations in Islington have been organised by a group of London taxi drivers who have organised similar demonstrations elsewhere in London. I'm campaigning for a LTN in my neighbourhood in Camden. I'm hoping the drivers will come out in opposition so I can have my badge of honour!
ratherbeintobago

The green signs are great, aren't they?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Xbigman wrote: It's nice to have the room but I've seen a car go down the lane thinking its a car lane.

Ah, so that's happened has it? Did they carry on, or does it become impossible to drive the full length, or apparent you're in a cycle lane?

There's a new bit of infrastructure near me (Harrogate Road/Leeds Ring Road roundabout) which has a cycle lane with full kerbs, at a turn. I said to my wife the last time we drove through it - "I wonder how long it will be before somebody takes a left onto the cycle lane, a Fiat 500 could get down there easily". I suppose it's a situation that might be unavoidable sometimes, if we want completely separate cycle lanes.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Jdsk wrote:Image

Does that imply that riden horses and horse-drawn vehicles are prohibited from that road?
RickH

Post by RickH »

jgurney wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Image

Does that imply that riden horses and horse-drawn vehicles are prohibited from that road?

I understand that there is another design in the works with additional graphics (which I think may include horses).

I think the original designer just used examples of the more common non-motorised means of getting around to indicate positive message the road is open & only closed to motor vehicles (signed by the official "flying motorbike" sign which should also be present). Some of the areas where these are only have around 40% of households with access to a car so it is important to show that the road is open to the majority.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jgurney wrote:Does that imply that riden horses and horse-drawn vehicles are prohibited from that road?

No.

RickH wrote:I think the original designer just used examples of the more common non-motorised means of getting around to indicate positive message the road is open & only closed to motor vehicles (signed by the official "flying motorbike" sign which should also be present).

Yes.

Jonathan
jonny_five

Post by jonny_five »

They've installed some around us in Catford/Lewisham. It's definitely improved the cycling which is pretty bad around the south circular otherwise. It has made some of the major roads even busier which no doubt gas made the motorists angry about the scheme, although I find it hard to sympathise with that.