Aren't Electric Scooters illegal?

Tangled Metal

Re: Aren't Electric Scooters illegal?

Postby Tangled Metal » 6 Sep 2020, 5:05pm

What about those segways and hoverboards? There's a guy I used to see on my committee before lockdown with a micromobility contraption that consisted of a kind of proper racing go-cart tyre that's wide and maybe 16-20" diameter. The guy stands on a board front and rear using body weight to control speed and direction. It's very fast too. He comes down the hill, on the road, and turns onto the Quay at a pretty fast speed, certainly keeping up with traffic doing legally up to 30mph.

The funny thing was he used to ride it in shorts and t-shirt until he disappeared for a few months. Then he appeared again wearing a tough looking coat, jeans, a near motorbike / moped style helmet, leather gloves and body armour such as knee, elbow and I think shoulder pads. I suspect he had an accidental.

Do you think e scooters, hoverboards and that funny wheel contraption should be put on a legal footing with appropriate levels of control or regulations? Until then prosecute or turn a blind eye?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 6 Sep 2020, 6:02pm

Tangled Metal wrote:There's a guy I used to see on my committee before lockdown with a micromobility contraption that consisted of a kind of proper racing go-cart tyre that's wide and maybe 16-20" diameter. The guy stands on a board front and rear using body weight to control speed and direction. It's very fast too. He comes down the hill, on the road, and turns onto the Quay at a pretty fast speed, certainly keeping up with traffic doing legally up to 30mph.

Onewheel?
https://onewheel.com
Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 18.01.40.png

Jonathan

PH

Postby PH » 6 Sep 2020, 7:52pm

Jdsk wrote:Onewheel?

Jonathan

That looks as TM described, but there's also a version with your feet either side. I see someone on the cycle path with one frequently, I assume they're commuting on it.
Whatever our opinions on such things is, the technology and innovation can be pretty interesting. I saw someone arrive at the supermarket on a segway type thing, he folded the handle down and it followed him round the store!

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 6 Sep 2020, 9:35pm

The one I be saw was bigger and had red and white led light bands on the rear and front. He used it over winter too. Plus the wheel was a bit meatier too. That one is like comparing small motorbike rear wheel with a race superbike rear wheel. Or rather a base model fiesta wheel and an AMG black Mercedes wheel.

I thought it was impressive how he could handle it so well. Mind you some people could ride a longboard skateboard round the bend like that, it's a steep hill afterall.

Toffee

Postby Toffee » 6 Sep 2020, 11:05pm

As has Milton Keynes

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 7 Sep 2020, 9:05am

PH wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Onewheel?

Jonathan

That looks as TM described, but there's also a version with your feet either side. I see someone on the cycle path with one frequently, I assume they're commuting on it.
Whatever our opinions on such things is, the technology and innovation can be pretty interesting. I saw someone arrive at the supermarket on a segway type thing, he folded the handle down and it followed him round the store!

If you had one of these, you could stay at home and send it out on its own to get the shopping!

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 7 Sep 2020, 9:06am

PH wrote:I saw someone arrive at the supermarket on a segway type thing, he folded the handle down and it followed him round the store!

Can you set it to 2m distancing?

Jonathan

pga

Postby pga » 11 Sep 2020, 10:54pm

Three E scooter hire companies are undergoing trails in Milton Keynes at the moment. The MK Cycling Forum have not been consulted as yet but we are pressing for representation on the assessing group. They are being allowed on the Redway and some roads, and perhaps on leisure routes through the parks. They have pre set controls to stop use on most roads.

They have been left all over the city. You may open your front door and find one outside.
Local comments vary. As usual cyclists and walkers are most concerned. Most support seems to come from motorists who are happy not to be affected very much and see the Redway as wonderful and which all cyclists should be forced to use.

At the same time there is growing widespread use of private E scooter users on Redway and some roads. This is clearly illegal but there is no policing to keep these is check. In London, on the other hand,the police have stopped illegal users and in some cases issued fines.

As I grow older I am renewing my early admiration for the Luddites and see new technology as part of the capitalist need to inflict new inventions on the general public,brought up for instant gratification. Are we any happier now than we were all those years ago when I was growing up? Our children certainly appear not to be if reports that they are the unhappiest in Europe are to be believed. They certainly do not have the freedom to cycle from a very early age that my generation had.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 11 Sep 2020, 11:02pm

pga wrote:The MK Cycling Forum have not been consulted as yet but we are pressing for representation on the assessing group.

Thankyou. I imagine that isn't a lot of fun but please stay engaged.

Good luck.

Jonathan

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 12 Sep 2020, 11:52am

pga wrote:Three E scooter hire companies are undergoing trails in Milton Keynes at the moment. The MK Cycling Forum have not been consulted as yet but we are pressing for representation on the assessing group. They are being allowed on the Redway and some roads, and perhaps on leisure routes through the parks. They have pre set controls to stop use on most roads.

They have been left all over the city. You may open your front door and find one outside.
Local comments vary. As usual cyclists and walkers are most concerned. Most support seems to come from motorists who are happy not to be affected very much and see the Redway as wonderful and which all cyclists should be forced to use.

At the same time there is growing widespread use of private E scooter users on Redway and some roads. This is clearly illegal but there is no policing to keep these is check. In London, on the other hand,the police have stopped illegal users and in some cases issued fines.

As I grow older I am renewing my early admiration for the Luddites and see new technology as part of the capitalist need to inflict new inventions on the general public,brought up for instant gratification. Are we any happier now than we were all those years ago when I was growing up? Our children certainly appear not to be if reports that they are the unhappiest in Europe are to be believed. They certainly do not have the freedom to cycle from a very early age that my generation had.

really? any references. I haven't heard of any. wish they would

mjr

Postby mjr » 12 Sep 2020, 6:52pm

They've done a couple of high profile crackdown attacks on E scooters in London, such as https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... on-target/

Micturate in a rainstorm.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Sep 2020, 7:19pm

mercalia wrote:
pga wrote:In London, on the other hand,the police have stopped illegal users and in some cases issued fines.

really? any references. I haven't heard of any.

Yes, really:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49127427

Jonathan

RickH

Postby RickH » 12 Sep 2020, 10:03pm

pga wrote:Three E scooter hire companies are undergoing trails in Milton Keynes at the moment. The MK Cycling Forum have not been consulted as yet but we are pressing for representation on the assessing group. They are being allowed on the Redway and some roads, and perhaps on leisure routes through the parks. They have pre set controls to stop use on most roads.

The legal changes made to allow the trials basically made it so it was legal to ride the scooters anywhere it is legal to cycle. That means on roads & cycle paths, but not on the pavement unless it is shared use. MK would be different to other trials if they generally exclude road use.

Cavemud

Postby Cavemud » 13 Sep 2020, 7:51pm

Yesterday I was battling my way up the Bwlch y Groes from Lake Vyrnwy. Just as I neared the top five of these things came past me (on their way down), all of the riders looking pretty pleased with themselves.

A pickup truck had come past a few moments before, so I can only assume they were driven to the top.

I'd love to have seen them on the steeper sections near the bottom.

Do these things really have the brakes for that sort of thing? The wheels are tiny, so does the braking happen on the rims?

They weren't really doing any harm, assuming they were able to stop!