BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1284
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby Philip Benstead » 10 Sep 2020, 12:15pm

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... nto-2021-0

British Cycling and HSBC UK can today announce that the partnership between the two organisations has surpassed its target of getting two million more people on bikes by the end of 2020, and that they will be extending their relationship into 2021.
The decision to continue the partnership into next year comes at a unique moment with the Prime Minister promising a ‘golden age for cycling’ and as British Cycling begins building a coalition of partners to harness the country’s new passion for getting around on two wheels.

Indeed, one in five UK commuters say they are more likely to cycle to work after lockdown, and a third say they are less likely to use the tube, train or bus.

The extension enables HSBC UK to continue their support of the Great Britain Cycling Team on their journey to the rescheduled Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games and helps British Cycling to capitalise on the wave of enthusiasm for cycling as people return to work and school, ending the partnership on a high in 2021.

In February this year it was announced that the partnership would come to an end in 2020, however the Covid-19 pandemic has severely disrupted the partnership’s 2020 plans.

The partnership has refocused its efforts, and since lockdown has been working hard to support the country to cycle more often, including:

Free British Cycling membership for NHS workers, providing peace-of-mind benefits to over a thousand people doing vital work for the country.
Setting up the HSBC UK Let’s Ride Local microsite to help families get the most out of cycling during lockdown, as well as launching HSBC UK Ready Set Ride, a free online resource for parents to teach their children to ride a bike.
Providing advice and support to UK businesses on how they can help their employees stay active, and 50% discount on British Cycling Commute memberships for HSBC UK customers.
While the two organisations will continue to work closely, the relationship will change so more partners can join British Cycling and create a coalition of businesses to support millions more people to get active by getting on their bikes.

British Cycling Chief Executive, Julie Harrington, said:

“British Cycling has a long-established reputation for setting and hitting ambitious targets – from winning the Tour de France to quadrupling our membership, and working with HSBC UK to get 2 million more people cycling is a landmark moment in our history.

“I’m incredibly proud of what our two organisations have achieved in the past four years, and to surpass such an ambitious target given the disruption we’ve seen to our activities this year is a testament to both the quality of our programmes and initiatives and the tireless work and support of our staff, volunteers and participants.

“With the number of people cycling still significantly up on pre-pandemic levels, and the transformational Government focus we have seen on getting more people on bikes, there’s never been a more exciting time to be involved in cycling.

“We have bold plans for 2021 and beyond to ensure we harness that passion and give every community in Britain the opportunity to discover the joy of riding a bike. I’d like to express our thanks to HSBC UK for their continued support as we build greater sustainability into British Cycling by opening our doors to more partners who share our vision to transform Britain into a truly great cycling nation.”

HSBC UK Chief Executive, Ian Stuart, said:

“We are very pleased to be able to extend our partnership with British Cycling, supporting the health and wellbeing of our customers, colleagues and communities through the Covid-19 crisis.

"From helping get two million more people on bikes to creating special support for NHS staff for their continued efforts, we are serious about creating a legacy through our partnership with British Cycling and we hope this ambitious project will fundamentally change the country’s approach to cycling.”

Further details on the partnership’s plans for 2021 will be announced in due course, and it is hoped that the plans will be able to incorporate the mass participation city events which has proved so popular in recent years.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16037
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby mjr » 10 Sep 2020, 10:04pm

Philip Benstead wrote:British Cycling and HSBC UK can today announce that the partnership between the two organisations has surpassed its target of getting two million more people on bikes by the end of 2020,

So British Cycling and HSBC UK caused the covid lockdown?!?! :shock:

More seriously: I don't think I've read a more celebratory assessment of this health crisis yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 3400
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby The utility cyclist » 11 Sep 2020, 4:15pm

Two million more people cycling is an abject lie, BC are, and have been a sham when it comes to cycling advocacy!

{ EDIT : Graham : ^ Please substantiate the assertion & opinion. Otherwise, I'll forward the legal letters to your home address. Thanks. }
Last edited by Graham on 11 Sep 2020, 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There are "forum friendly" ways to question corporate assertions.

cycle tramp
Posts: 832
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby cycle tramp » 11 Sep 2020, 5:30pm

The utility cyclist wrote:Two million more people cycling is an abject lie, BC are, and have been a sham when it comes to cycling advocacy!


Don't hold back there! Say what you really think...

...I've seen a few more people on bikes this year compared with last, but I don't think it's quite the two million... equally they seem to be doing the whole 'round roundy cycling thing in lycra and sports gear' rather than use their bikes as actually transport.... but it's a step (pedal revolution ?) in the right direction..

...Personally I'm a little uncomfortable with any organisation working with HSBC at the moment. Especially as they came out in favour of China strengthing their stance against the rights of those in Hong Kong. It's about time HSBC bank showed more spirit and pointed out to China that it should not be afraid of or attempt to stifle, any move to democracy

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4896
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Sep 2020, 8:04am

I guess it's unlikely that any one of us would see all 2 million.
John

merseymouth
Posts: 1926
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby merseymouth » 12 Sep 2020, 8:22am

Morning, Nice comment Mod Graham! It was a model of succinctness, to the point.
Efforts to control the extreme allegations is more than welcome, so much better that the "Reference Please", Citation Needed", "Link Required", et al.
We may believe that many press releases are unsubstantiated puff, but stating it in such a unsustainable fashion i plain stupid.
But hey, we've got used to such with social media in general and Donald Trump in particular. The evidence is out there and clear for all to see! MM

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4896
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Sep 2020, 9:25am

Indeed. Let's all make outrageous claims without a shred of evidence.
John

PH
Posts: 9393
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby PH » 12 Sep 2020, 9:42am

Oldjohnw wrote:Indeed. Let's all make outrageous claims without a shred of evidence.

Are you referring to BC or UC?

PH
Posts: 9393
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby PH » 12 Sep 2020, 9:58am

cycle tramp wrote: It's about time HSBC bank showed more spirit and pointed out to China that it should not be afraid of or attempt to stifle, any move to democracy

You do know HSBC is the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation don't you? It's no surprise to me that they're not critical of their masters.
I'm a BC member and hoped they'd find a less objectionable partner when the current agreement runs out, though I felt the same at the end on Sky's involvement! BC needs a big financial partner and maybe there are no ethical ones with that sort of money to throw around.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4896
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Sep 2020, 10:24am

PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Indeed. Let's all make outrageous claims without a shred of evidence.

Are you referring to BC or UC?



UC shoots from the hip and then MM doesn't see any need to provide evidence.
John

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 3400
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby The utility cyclist » 13 Sep 2020, 12:29pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
PH wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Indeed. Let's all make outrageous claims without a shred of evidence.

Are you referring to BC or UC?



UC shoots from the hip and then MM doesn't see any need to provide evidence.

Cycling journeys have not increased but miles travelled have by small % amounts over the last last few years, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that 2 million more people are cycling, it's a complete fabrication/disneyworld story!
The Walking & Cycling Statistics, England statistical release from the Department for Transport (DfT) also found that “the average number of miles cycled has generally increased over time, but the number of cycling stages [ie individual trips by bike] has remained flat over the same period.”
If 2 million more people were cycling this would have been noted in the study.
CUK stated 32% increase in cycling miles 2018 from 1998 however an increase of population of circa 18% in the same period negates much of that, cycling has remained at 1% of all miles and 2% of journeys.
BC are lying or using metrics that stretch the meaning of 2 million! to be utterly ludicrous and unbelievable.

cycle tramp
Posts: 832
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby cycle tramp » 13 Sep 2020, 9:28pm

So any increase in the number of journeys or miles cycled is down to the growth in population rather than a percentile increase that one would expect should any outside organisation be successful in changing the prefered mode of transport?

Pete Owens
Posts: 1886
Joined: 7 Jul 2008, 12:52am

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby Pete Owens » 13 Sep 2020, 11:57pm

The utility cyclist wrote:CUK stated 32% increase in cycling miles 2018 from 1998 however an increase of population of circa 18% in the same period negates much of that, cycling has remained at 1% of all miles and 2% of journeys.
BC are lying

UK population 1998 = 58 million
2018 = 66 million
By my calculation that is a growth of 11%
Who did you claim was lying?

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16037
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby mjr » 14 Sep 2020, 1:35am

The utility cyclist wrote:Cycling journeys have not increased but miles travelled have by small % amounts over the last last few years, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that 2 million more people are cycling, it's a complete fabrication/disneyworld story!

Cycling increased this summer by 150% according to some research posted elsewhere on these boards. 2 million would be an underestimate!

However, I don't think HSBC or BC had a significant effect on it, especially as BC shut down all their rides for far longer than CUK did.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

cycle tramp
Posts: 832
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: BRITISH CYCLING AND HSBC UK CELEBRATE TWO MILLION MORE PEOPLE CYCLING AND EXTEND RELATIONSHIP INTO 2021

Postby cycle tramp » 14 Sep 2020, 4:07pm

Pete Owens wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:CUK stated 32% increase in cycling miles 2018 from 1998 however an increase of population of circa 18% in the same period negates much of that, cycling has remained at 1% of all miles and 2% of journeys.
BC are lying

UK population 1998 = 58 million
2018 = 66 million
By my calculation that is a growth of 11%
Who did you claim was lying?


Personally speaking I feel it's rather disingenuous for any charity to claim that any increase in cycling is purely down to that organisation's efforts. In this particular case unless BC can produce a written statement from each and everyone of these additional cyclists that 'they had started to cycle because of BC' then I'm going to be a little sceptical of the claim (as I think will most people)