The Monsal Trail

Colin214

The Monsal Trail

Post by Colin214 »

I look for any mention of this in Cycling UK without success, my apologies if am repeating something already circulated.

If you are not aware of the Monsal trail please Google it, it is probably the best family cycling trail in the country. There are plans to turn it back into a freight rail line to serve the local quarries supported by 2 local MP's and the quarry companies.This would remove the tunnels from any trail that remained for the use of cyclists and walkers.

Please have a look at the details at www.SaveMonsalTrail.uk and sign the petition and forward details to others who may be interested.

Many thanks
Colin
PH

Re: The Monsal Trail

Post by PH »

Colin214 wrote:There are plans to turn it back into a freight rail line to serve the local quarries
Colin

It isn't true that freight would be it's only use.
I'm torn, it's a lovely trail to ride but an awful train journey from Derby to Manchester and I do the latter far more frequently (Though I have been known to combine the two and ride from Matlock to Buxton.)
Those I think more in the know, tell me the likelihood of this being reopened puts it in the realm of fantasy. Do you know much else about it?
Sniper68

Post by Sniper68 »

This would be a huge step back and I can't see it happening!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

It won't happen - it's been talked about for decades on and off but the cost is astronomical, far higher than the supposed benefits. In spite of the Government's ideas of ripping up planning regs to "build back better" after Covid, there's some stuff which is simply too high a price and too low a benefit.

Those tunnels won't fit modern freight through them either, the whole lot would need re-boring.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The proposals will generate valuable jobs and take freight off the roads.The trail is good for families but there are others in the area such as the Tissington and High Peak,plus Manifold.There are also some lovely lanes for family cycling.Remember most families at Monsal get there in cars.Why not create some trails near population centres such as Derby,Stoke,Leek and Buxton.Ironically there was great oppositionn to rail linen when mooted in 1800s.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Signed. I regularly use the Monsal trail, both for walking and cycling, and have done for many years (before they re-opened the tunnels, though we did get a bit fed up of clambering over the hills!)

This and the other trails can, with a bit of ingenuity, be linked via quiet stretches of road to provide safer cycling in the Peak district where many of the roads are busy with quarry traffic and, indeed, are sometimes covered with grey muck off the lorries which is unpleasant at best, and a menace when wet, so having these trails is a big safety measure.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Quarries are best served by rail and take lorries off road.Quiet lanes are way better than old railways-only advantage is flatness which actually makes for bland experience.
sjs

Post by sjs »

rmurphy195 wrote:Signed. I regularly use the Monsal trail, both for walking and cycling, and have done for many years (before they re-opened the tunnels, though we did get a bit fed up of clambering over the hills!)

In the late 70s and early 80s, before the trail and its tunnels were officially opened for walking and cycling, it was quite possible to walk on it, as the blocking of the tunnels was not very effective. Much more exciting for a bunch of foolish young people when you didn't know what hazards were lurking in the dark.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

rareposter wrote: 1 Oct 2020, 4:16pm It won't happen - it's been talked about for decades on and off but the cost is astronomical, far higher than the supposed benefits. In spite of the Government's ideas of ripping up planning regs to "build back better" after Covid, there's some stuff which is simply too high a price and too low a benefit.

Those tunnels won't fit modern freight through them either, the whole lot would need re-boring.
If it's about boosting capacity transpennine, it would make much more sense reopening the Woodhead route, it was modernised in the 1950s too and ran between Sheffield and Manchester, should never have been closed (in 1981...).
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Traction_man wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:13am
rareposter wrote: 1 Oct 2020, 4:16pm It won't happen - it's been talked about for decades on and off but the cost is astronomical, far higher than the supposed benefits. In spite of the Government's ideas of ripping up planning regs to "build back better" after Covid, there's some stuff which is simply too high a price and too low a benefit.
If it's about boosting capacity transpennine, it would make much more sense reopening the Woodhead route, it was modernised in the 1950s too and ran between Sheffield and Manchester, should never have been closed (in 1981...).
Woodhead will never reopen as a railway either.
There was talk of a road tunnel a few years ago but that went quiet just before Covid.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Hellhound wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:51am
Traction_man wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:13am
Woodhead will never reopen as a railway either.
There was talk of a road tunnel a few years ago but that went quiet just before Covid.
It probably won't happen, yes, but Woodhead would make more sense than Monsal Dale if a reopening was possible.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

While the Monsal Trail does indeed make for an enjoyable day out - it most certainly isn't transport infrastructure. I have ridden it several times and on each occasion this has involved an 80 mile round trip in the car. Indeed, even if I was commuting from Buxton to Bakewell it is unlikely that I would use that route regularly - only if the weather was fine and I had plenty of tiime to spare.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Pete Owens wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 2:24pm Indeed, even if I was commuting from Buxton to Bakewell it is unlikely that I would use that route regularly - only if the weather was fine and I had plenty of tiime to spare.
Which route would you take? Alternatives look to me to be very busy main roads or very hilly?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The A6.
Yes, it is busy, but when I'm going to work in the morning I just want to get there as soon as possible. I am just trying to get from one place to another with as little fuss as possible, not to go out for a nice ride. Including a diversion onto the Monsal Trail would probably add an hour to the journey - it may not add many miles, but it is much much slower.

For the same reason, I use the A56 to go to work - though I wouldn't dream of going that way for a Sunday morning spin. If it is a sunny evening and I'm not in a rush to get anywhere I might come home on an extended ride along country lanes.
PH

Post by PH »

Pete Owens wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 3:28pm The A6.
Yes, it is busy, but when I'm going to work in the morning I just want to get there as soon as possible. I am just trying to get from one place to another with as little fuss as possible, not to go out for a nice ride. Including a diversion onto the Monsal Trail would probably add an hour to the journey - it may not add many miles, but it is much much slower.
have you done it?
Bakewell to Buxton:
A6 12.2 miles 420 meters climb
Monsal Trial (A6 for the last couple of miles) 12.7 miles 290 meters climb
Chelmorton > Harper Hill 13.3 miles 410 meters climb
(Figures from cycle.travel)

Monsal is pretty good surface for the most part, I'd be surprised if it took any longer unless it was busy, certainly not an extra hour!
I ride between them fairly often, I go up the trail and down the A6. Chelmorton in either direction if the other options are likely to be busy.
You are right that it isn't primarily transport infrastructure, I don't think anyone claimed it was.