'Rat-running' increases on residential UK streets as experts blame satnav apps

mikeymo

Re: 'Rat-running' increases on residential UK streets as experts blame satnav apps

Post by mikeymo »

thirdcrank wrote:
mikeymo wrote: ... When you were posted to Garforth, did you cycle there from Gildersome?

No. Bearing in mind that I was working rotating shifts, with four quick changeovers in every four-week cycle (finish at 2200 back at 0600 the next morning) it would have been virtually impossible for me to commute the 18 miles each way cycling. In fact, I was working there during the Winter of Discontent when the gritters were on strike so driving was hard enough. I had a van in those days - no purchase tax - and the police station had solid fuel central heating - coalmining area - so I kept a galvanised dustbin of cinders in the back to put under my wheels if I got stuck.

FWIW, this totally unnecessary travel came about because the chief constable was an autocrat who seemed to enjoy demonstrating his authority. (Nothing to do with satnav)

So you drove, because you had to, yes? Whereas now, being retired, you are able to choose to avoid congested roads, as your journeys aren't obligatory.

Interesting figures here, by the way:
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/culture-and-community/transport/travel-by-distance-trips-type-of-transport-and-purpose/latest#distance-travelled-by-ethnicity-and-mode-of-transport

We actually seem to be travelling less, unless I've misunderstood. Purpose of travel and mode of travel don't seem to be compared.

Yes, police shifts have always seemed strange to me. The son of one of my colleagues has just finished his probation and she complains about the strange times she gets to see him.
Last edited by mikeymo on 28 Sep 2020, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Re: 'Rat-running' increases on residential UK streets as experts blame satnav apps

Post by thirdcrank »

mikeymo wrote: ... So you drove, because you had to, yes? Whereas now, being retired, you are able to choose to avoid congested roads, as your journeys aren't obligatory. ...

In the context of this discussion, it was because it was assumed that anybody who chose to live anywhere but in a police house (usually in a police station yard or with a police office built-in) was willing and able to travel anywhere to get to work. Those of us who had been living in cities - in my case Leeds - were theoretically covered by different rules, but in reality still liable to be messed about. Anyway, nowadays a lot of people do travel the length and breadth in connection with work.