"Providing best practice reporting guidance for road collisions" (in the media)

Jdsk

"Providing best practice reporting guidance for road collisions" (in the media)

Post by Jdsk »

Last edited by Jdsk on 29 Sep 2020, 3:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
thirdcrank

Re: "Providing best practice reporting guidance for road collisions"

Post by thirdcrank »

Bearing in mind there are several different meanings to reporting a collision I think it's worth pointing out from the outset that this is about how the media report them.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Good to see that Martin Porter QC is behind this. His blog has been inactive for a long time,so I thought he might have decided to retire from the cycling policy limelight.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Given police forces are just as guilty there needs to be a push for all forces to comply with any positive changes to reporting as a priority. Indeed, the way police still view incidents/collisions between parties needs a serious review as it's clear time and again and far, far too often the victim is blamed. And even if just partially, this has a huge effect on potential charges and how a potential court case goes as there's far too much weighting on what the victim did/did not do in the event that happened, particularly when it comes to people on cycles.

The smallest of errors and this is highlighted in a way that perverts justice, this starts with the reports in the media and by police and has a bearing if a case ever gets to court IMHO. Charlie Alliston case is one extreme example.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:Bearing in mind there are several different meanings to reporting a collision I think it's worth pointing out from the outset that this is about how the media report them.

Subject changed accordingly. Thank you.

ChrisButch wrote:Good to see that Martin Porter QC is behind this. His blog has been inactive for a long time,so I thought he might have decided to retire from the cycling policy limelight.

Totally agree.

Jonathan