When the police give an assaulted cyclist a warning

reohn2

Re: When the police give an assaulted cyclist a warning

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Please stop analysing the cyclists roadcraft.

It's completely irrelevant.

Exactly,he was driven at and then assaulted,that's the plain truth of it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Whilst Undertake is limited by law / hiway code, probably not good to even scoot on the left, I wait without passing a single vehicle till the traffic starts moving again..........what do you do?

I overtake if it's safe to do so, on whatever side looks safest, like in the videoed example. It took a further unsafe move by the motorist (incensed by what he called an "undertake" which is another reason why we should avoid that term) to present a danger.

I definitely do not wait in the middle of a line of motorists and risk being caught in a concertina caused by a driver on a mobile phone hitting the back of the queue.

Like others have said try and cycle off road as much as possible.

I do mostly, even including crossing the road outside my house twice to use the cycleway (although the crossings are 2½ miles apart). That didn't appear to be an option for the rider in the video.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Like others have said try and cycle off road as much as possible.

I do,but that's only a remedy for the symptoms not a cure for the illness that cyclists have to put up with on a daily basis.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Like others have said try and cycle off road as much as possible.

I do,but that's only a remedy for the symptoms not a cure for the illness that cyclists have to put up with on a daily basis.

I agree.

We all know that you dont have to do anything wrong to be used as a punch bag by the metal box or even the driver on foot.
But I would like to say that (not directed at you R2) that NOT moving up on the left will eliminate Some of the bother.

And yes I do stick to being between two cars in the middle of alane if you can keep up, which the rider in video did up till he made a decision to move up on the left.
mjr, I think (I.M.O) that its safer to be between two cars, where the driver has no excuse to hit you from behind, to being creeping up the left where no one ever looks, and of course move to the left when you can't keep up, I prefer to take priority when I am first in que at lights etc then move over.
mjr, What do you do when a car comes at you head on the wrong side of the road whilst on their mobile? Happened to me twice in one week :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The rider is in no way guilty for what happened next, you be able to make minor bad moves without fear of getting into a battle. I know now that police will not come even when a car has hit me on foot twice racing down a cycle path (dead end road), if you are not hurt they dont want to know even with video evidence of assault! The driver in my case was right.....when they said....."They do know the police"

In no way should the driver move in on cyclist, and getting out of a car in traffic should be an offence unless there has been an accident / to help another in distress.
Don't get out the car they may be bigger than you :)

We all got our own ideas................do what you think keeps you safe.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:mjr, I think (I.M.O) that its safer to be between two cars, where the driver has no excuse to hit you from behind, to being creeping up the left where no one ever looks, and of course move to the left when you can't keep up, I prefer to take priority when I am first in que at lights etc then move over.

I take priority if I'm at the front. If I must stop in line, I stop 4-6m behind the car in front. But if reasonably possible, I avoid the queue or I overtake. Whichever side. That's not "creeping up", not "undertaking" or any other nonsense term.

mjr, What do you do when a car comes at you head on the wrong side of the road whilst on their mobile? Happened to me twice in one week :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I went into the hedge the only time it's happened to me while cycling. It looked softer than the car! I wonder if I could have had a police warning for what I called the other road user who directed the car to come at me!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I find it useful to see these videos because they give me an opportunity to think about how I ride and whether I would do the same or act differently in that situation, and it's even more useful to read the various opinions and insights of others, especially if they are more knowledgeable.

I hope that CUK are able to make Police Scotland think again and improve how they deal with cases like this. In the meantime, I don't think it hurts to review what happened.

Having looked at the video again, it occurs to me that the driver was probably expecting the cyclist to stay on the left, and did not expect him to start moving back into the middle of the lane. I suspect that the cyclist did not indicate in any way that he was going to move towards the middle of the lane. Moreover, if that video is from a helmet camera, he did not look over his shoulder to check that it was safe to make that manoeuvre. I don't think the driver intended to make contact or threaten him with a close pass: he presumed that having chosen to filter left up the inside, the cyclist would continue in that position.

It looks like that carriageway is probably too narrow for there reliably to be a large enough and consistent gap between the verge and stationary vehicles to be able to filter left. In that situation, it's probably best to be patient, stay in primary, and move at the same pace as the rest of the traffic.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
slowster wrote:
It looks like that carriageway is probably too narrow for there reliably to be a large enough and consistent gap between the verge and stationary vehicles to be able to filter left. In that situation, it's probably best to be patient, stay in primary, and move at the same pace as the rest of the traffic.

(my bold emphasis) Something like that :wink:

Reading peoples comments is a good way to examine your own style, and it might just help in future......we hope.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Good Lord! A whole three pages without even mentioning the Masons. Is it just me who is wondering if the driver is a middle ranking Mason after some sort of petty revenge through the police? and by the same token has also avoided any prosecution of assault.
Is there an address to which one can send their own complaint to the police?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:I've not watched the vid so I'll just say this. If the police action in a particular case is felt to be wrong, then the way to tackle it is by way of complaint, a civil action for redress, or whatever the equivalent is in Scotland to Judicial Review.

A complaint against the police - I take it you're joking. Some years ago a chap I worked with made a complaint about the behaviour of a particular officer. An inspector visited and told him that if the complaint wasn't upheld he would be prosecuted for wasting police time. He was also stopped several times by police officers when driving home from the late shift and threatened with violence if he didn't drop the matter.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suggested alternatives.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I've not watched the vid so I'll just say this. If the police action in a particular case is felt to be wrong, then the way to tackle it is by way of complaint, a civil action for redress, or whatever the equivalent is in Scotland to Judicial Review.

A complaint against the police - I take it you're joking. Some years ago a chap I worked with made a complaint about the behaviour of a particular officer. An inspector visited and told him that if the complaint wasn't upheld he would be prosecuted for wasting police time. He was also stopped several times by police officers when driving home from the late shift and threatened with violence if he didn't drop the matter.

He appealed & the case against him was dropped as it was considered 'disproportionate'.
The article in the OP also says:
Cycling UK is collaborating with David to ask for three actions from the Scottish Government and Police Scotland:

-A commitment from Police Scotland to prioritise road traffic enforcement where vulnerable road users are at greatest risk.
-Improved guidance to ensure that all force areas across Scotland deal with reports from vulnerable road users in a consistent and appropriate way.
-A single easy to use camera footage submission system which all road users can have confidence in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Please stop analysing the cyclists roadcraft.

It's completely irrelevant.

Exactly,he was driven at and then assaulted,that's the plain truth of it!

completely agree this was an assault and how the cyclist was riding has nothing to do with it - you are not allowed to attack other road users for any reason whatsoever - it is known as road rage.

------------------------------------------

For me Police Scotland have a very poor attitude towards cyclists and road crime, you can get lucky and stumble on an officer who is also a cyclist and takes the matter seriously, but more often than not they are cold couldn't care less and uninterested.

Compare the success of "Cycling Mickey" in comparison to the videos by "Magnatom" and you will see are stark difference in the attitude of the MET to that of Police Scotland. If cycling Mickey was up here they would probably have him banged up in Barlinnie for offending motorists.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is talk about diversity in the police, but anyone who joins is integrated in an organised and disciplined service not unlike the army, not much diversity or variety or opportunity to develop ones personality
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I think its high time the police intelligence test (required for all applicants except university graduates) was actually marked. I cannot believe that any of the police people I've conversed with in the last five years could have passed it.

One told me off for causing an obstruction - I'd parked in front of a private garage block to prevent the theft of a car, at risk to my own safety.

two were slouching and chewing gum with their mouths open - at Remeberence Sunday parade.

One said - get away from there in case the "road breaks". A fence panel had blown down in the wind.

One near me has pink hair, she has no knowledge of the law and orders people about based upon emotion. For example, she recently told shops to close that were allowed to be open. No-one has anything but contempt for her. People whistle the tune to the Pink Panther as she goes by. I know that formal complaints have been made against her yet she still carries on. An idiot.

A few weeks ago a plod car drove straight past a car parked on the pavement and the stripes of a zebra crossing while its occupant lit up.

Now we read that the government is going to pass a bill allowing them to break laws. They do already, whats the point ?

They do not reflect society, they drag it down to their level.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

todays news

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... hire-crash

police tell wrong family their child is dead.