When the police give an assaulted cyclist a warning

geomannie

When the police give an assaulted cyclist a warning

Post by geomannie »

A shocking story of police blaming the victim.

Cycling UK member David Brennan was assaulted while cycling to work. The driver was not prosecuted and shockingly, David himself was given a police warning for swearing. Now he’s teaming up with Cycling UK to call for significant changes in the way vulnerable road users are treated in Scotland.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/cycling- ... d-swearing

Its hard to see roads getting safer for cyclists while sections of the Police seem to remain part of the problem. The only bright part of this story is that Cycling UK are getting involved.
geomannie
reohn2

Re: When the police give an assaulted cyclist a warning

Post by reohn2 »

I've long since lost all faith I ever had in UK police and justice system,it's simply not fit for purpose.
After too many similar instances I now stay off the roads when cycling as much as I can.
I've come to the reluctant conclusion that I live in society that's gone to the dogs and although the driver in the video are a minority of roadusers,they are on the increase and more agressive than ever due to the knowledge there be little if anything done when they abuse people in the way they do.
The UK isn't the cycling friendly nation it once was IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

reohn2 wrote:The UK isn't the cycling friendly nation it once was IMHO.

That ccould be better expressed.
The UK isn't united, isn't friendly, and isn't the nation it once was.
Apart fom that detail I agree. Our society is in a parlous state. When there are people coming out of jail a couple of years after killing...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a whole lot wrong with this country, there always has been. It's not the case that things are worse now just that different things are worse now.

I often say about parents that each generation learns from their parents mistakes then try to correct them only to find new ways to mess up with their kids. That's the same with each generation screwing the country over in their own and new way. To think otherwise is naive or delusional imho.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not watched the vid so I'll just say this. If the police action in a particular case is felt to be wrong, then the way to tackle it is by way of complaint, a civil action for redress, or whatever the equivalent is in Scotland to Judicial Review.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

It is shocking that the driver was not charged for assault. However, I can fully sympathise with the driver getting frustrated. He may have moved over to see what the coming situation was like and then when he moved back found a cyclist had magically appeared from nowhere. In such conjected traffic, the excuse of ' I was filtering' is pretty thin and demonstrates poor roadcraft by the cyclist.
mjr

Post by mjr »

On reading the summary here, I was about to comment that bring assaulted doesn't excuse swearing at the police... But I clicked through and read the full story first and that's not what happened. It reads like the cyclist swore in reaction to the assault, not as an opening gambit.

Completely bonkers-looking behaviour from Police Scotland there.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

freeflow wrote:It is shocking that the driver was not charged for assault. However, I can fully sympathise with the driver getting frustrated. He may have moved over to see what the coming situation was like and then when he moved back found a cyclist had magically appeared from nowhere. In such conjected traffic, the excuse of ' I was filtering' is pretty thin and demonstrates poor roadcraft by the cyclist.

No. The motorist must look before moving back or out. The cyclist's roadcraft is ok.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveP wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The UK isn't the cycling friendly nation it once was IMHO.

That ccould be better expressed.

That is my experience from a cycling POV,I just never know when I'll encounter the next lunatic driver and they're coming much more frequently than in times past.

The UK isn't united, isn't friendly, and isn't the nation it once was.
Apart fom that detail I agree. Our society is in a parlous state. When there are people coming out of jail a couple of years after killing...

IME we are a divided and more agressive nation than ever we were on even a superficial level,hilighted by the diabolical and unnecessary Brexit debacle,added to by the handling of the virus,but things go back much further than that.
Add to that politrickians and police no one has any faith in and it's a recipe for a very selfish free for all.
Just my experiences and observations......
Last edited by reohn2 on 6 Oct 2020, 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Firstly-
Not in a zillion years would I today or anytime in the last 50 years since a narrow escape with a car door would I undertake.
I get off bike and push on the verge.
Another road user just has to say I never saw you if you are on the inside
(Oh I know that if a car overtakes into this position they then claim you undertook :roll: :twisted: )

2ND-
Whatever you do do not swear at all, that way YOU cannot be accused of aggression.

The driver should be cautioned at least.........did he not swear first?

Don't trust that you will get any help at all from police today.
I have no doubt tha police are reminded every day that only to enter into an inquiry that will get them boxes ticked...................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

freeflow wrote:It is shocking that the driver was not charged for assault. However, I can fully sympathise with the driver getting frustrated. He may have moved over to see what the coming situation was like and then when he moved back found a cyclist had magically appeared from nowhere. In such conjected traffic, the excuse of ' I was filtering' is pretty thin and demonstrates poor roadcraft by the cyclist.

There is far more to it than that. The driver is complaining that " every f*u king day" he is being frustrated by the presence of this particular cyclist in the road. The driver's actions are not wholly random & are to an extent premeditated.
geomannie
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sad to see the comments about cyclist's riding here. Correct or not, they are absolutely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

It seems near certain that this was an attempt by the police to abuse their power by punishing the cyclist for showing up police incompetence and indifference to the obvious assault by the motorist.

Shocking abuse of power.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

geomannie wrote:

There is far more to it than that. The driver is complaining that " every f*u king day" he is being frustrated by the presence of this particular cyclist in the road. The driver's actions are not wholly random & are to an extent premeditated.

IME there are some very angry and frustrated people driving cars thes days,some just out for trouble
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Sad to see the comments about cyclist's riding here. Correct or not, they are absolutely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

It seems near certain that this was an attempt by the police to abuse their power by punishing the cyclist for showing up police incompetence and indifference to the obvious assault by the motorist.

Shocking abuse of power.

+1
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Driver is seen crossing solid white line and inviting the cyclist to undertake.
Car coming in on you is a classic that happens even when you are stationary :x
Attachments
2020-10-06_145720.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.