Alliance of British Drivers

simonineaston

Re: Alliance of British Drivers

Post by simonineaston »

If the MPs are doing their job properly
Hmmm...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:
If the MPs are doing their job properly
Hmmm...

They are doing their job right by playing the tune for those who pay the piper.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

craggie wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/21/climate-science-deniers-to-give-road-safety-evidence-to-mps

A car pressure group I'd never hear of wants higher speed limits and fewer cycle lanes and 'which says it represents mainstream views but accepts its membership is “tiny” as a proportion of drivers.' In that case why are they being taken seriously and should we be worried?

Using that to attack their views is very much a two edged sword. Cycling UK membership is a tiny proportion of cyclists. Most campaigning groups are a tiny proportion of the people they campaign for.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Whatever the reaction of the Transport Select Committee Grant Schapps, is dancing to this group's tune.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:Whatever the reaction of the Transport Select Committee Grant Schapps, is dancing to this group's tune.

Select Committees are one of the few bright lights in the Westminster system.

Yes, secret access to Ministers and the crony system and the revolving door are a disgrace. One of the few defences, and it isn't very strong, is Ministers' accountability to Select Committees.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 22 Oct 2020, 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An another thread recently, there was a link to an article (last Sunday's Sunday T?) in which the Sec of State was backtracking on the promotion of cycling and walking announced early in the pandemic. Cash for pop-up cycle lanes etc.

The article's behind a paywall and my paper is the bin but going from memory he said something along the lines of "Nobody should doubt that we support the motorist" and none of us do doubt that. It's policies to promote cycling and walking that are doubtful. IMO.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:An another thread recently, there was a link to an article (last Sunday's Sunday T?) in which the Sec of State was backtracking on the promotion of cycling and walking announced early in the pandemic. Cash for pop-up cycle lanes etc.

The article's behind a paywall and my paper is the bin but going from memory he said something along the lines of "Nobody should doubt that we support the motorist" and none of us do doubt that. It's policies to promote cycling and walking that are doubtful. IMO.

Only to be expected from a right wing populist government.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:An another thread recently, there was a link to an article (last Sunday's Sunday T?) in which the Sec of State was backtracking on the promotion of cycling and walking announced early in the pandemic. Cash for pop-up cycle lanes etc.

Your memory is intact... about the quote. : - )

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141750&p=1540519&hilit=telegraph#p1540519
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/10/17/transport-secretary-admits-new-cycle-lanes-leaving-roads-backed/

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 22 Oct 2020, 1:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:

Only to be expected from a right wing populist government.

And on and on it goes......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: ... Only to be expected from a right wing populist government.

Spot on. Over two decades ago, New Labour swept to power with promises - later described as aspirations - to promote integrated transport/ cycling / walking which came to little through fear of upsetting motorists.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote:
craggie wrote:A car pressure group I'd never hear of wants higher speed limits and fewer cycle lanes and 'which says it represents mainstream views but accepts its membership is “tiny” as a proportion of drivers.' In that case why are they being taken seriously and should we be worried?

Using that to attack their views is very much a two edged sword. Cycling UK membership is a tiny proportion of cyclists. Most campaigning groups are a tiny proportion of the people they campaign for.

Exactly. Doesn't the Burns/Orwell test work well?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

IIUC the inquiry is "Young and novice drivers" and you can see the full list of who gave evidence by clicking into each session:
https://committees.parliament.uk/work/146/young-and-novice-drivers
and last year's evidence at:
https://old.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/transport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/road-safety-young-novice-drivers-17-19/publications/

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Leftist surely? Selfish and only wanting their own view point.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Jdsk wrote:This forum has a high-posting small group of people who ride bikes who take extreme fundamentalist positions on some recurrent themes. The techniques they use are very similar to those of some extreme protagonists of cars and driving: hyperbole, cod statistics, tribal arguments etc.

There are a lot of realists on these fora, including me, I believe

I'm sure that ABD and many of its members think of themselves as realists too.

That's precisely the point *I was trying to make. Thanks for illustrating it so clearly.

Wrong again
I do not understand what you are trying to say, and I do not want to understand

My desire is simply that existing law be observed/enforced, to start with
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:There are a lot of realists on these fora, including me, I believe

I'm sure that ABD and many of its members think of themselves as realists too.

That's precisely the point I was trying to make. Thanks for illustrating it so clearly.

Wrong again

Which bit is wrong, please?

Thanks

Jonathan