48 tonnes HGV's for road-rail freight - good or bad?

merseymouth

Re: 48 tonnes HGV's for road-rail freight - good or bad?

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Cyril, Back in the days when I started on the treadmill called work, I worked for a road haulage company.
If a driver went on a long run say London or even Birmingham, from the "Pool" he would call in at well researched drop in points to seek out a return load, or at least something to earn money on the return passage. Might end up with a single out load the two homeward pick-ups.
Failure to do so would leave them open for a roasting from the Transport Manager, let alone the Company Secretary!
But at that time own company transport fleets were very rare, because we were only just moving out of the nationalized era, when there was just Pickfords and British Road Service ruled the roost. To fill in many gaps because the most freight went by rail, there was British Railways Haulage. Remember the Scammel Mechanical Horse? The trike articulated conveyance. They often employed coach built containers for door to door service.
But even then our drivers could be beaten by carters still using horse power!
Travelling light was a definite no no! TTFN MM
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Pebble wrote:...
I'm sure there would be plenty still move off the power lines and attempt the overtake.

But on electric power they could go at their speed limit like electric locos vs diesel on inclines.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Pebble wrote:...
I'm sure there would be plenty still move off the power lines and attempt the overtake.

But on electric power they could go at their speed limit like electric locos vs diesel on inclines.

ahh, no - the 'elephant racing' is down to tyre size and speed limiter calibration. new tyres can be a couple of mile faster than worn out re-cuts. Also 'so i have been told' get the calibration done with small wheels then fit full size and you will have a 60+ flyer. ever followed an irish fridge down the M6.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Bahh humbug.. make overtaking with single digit speed differential illegal?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)