Even Mr Farage has a go

Stevek76

Re: Even Mr Farage has a go

Post by Stevek76 »

Unfortunately with Johnson looking weak in the eyes of many tory mps, his more cycle friendly policies are already at risk and being watered down. The oil funded tufton st definitely looking to make the most of this.

Phil Fouracre wrote:Hilarious! Although I do like the ‘Schrodingers cyclist’, I’ll have to remember that one:-)

Also exists in that we're a superposition of "wealthy middle class males forcing our lifestyles on everyone else" and "too poor to own a car and don't pay any tax".
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:I'll predict that Farage will continue to get media exposure, not least to provide some sort of illusion of balance on discussion panel programmes and plenty of people will continue to believe he is right.

Farage may have a place in the extreme right wing press, such as the DM if they wish to pay him for contributions.
It is his rightful and well suited place.

In my view it is now time to reduce his contributions to Question Time type TV formats and serious political discussion.

The reason being that too much of what he has stated in the past has been shown to be demonstrably untrue.
One cannot give large platform platform to such, and there are plenty of cases where such a principle is carried out.

Add to that the fiddling of expenses and I think there are excellent grounds for reducing his exposure.

He's a backer of dead horses;
£10,000 on Trump to win, publicized by his own good self. Sadly probably not his own money!

He has become a sower of division and othering. Little else.

The Anti Lockdown Party!!
Please let us have a serious discussion about this, not just this unpleasant individual jumping on a new and transient bandwagon opportunity.
His true shifting colours nailed up clear for all to see.

I think Farage is viewed by the vast majority as laughing stock now.
And quite rightly so.
Ta ta. Nigel.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote:
pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The paying for road use argument is nonsense at every level, regardless of the terminology used.

I have paid no "road use tax" for any of my last 4 cars, including my current one.

You are making the mistake of engaging with his arguments. It isn't worth it. You have more rewarding things you could be doing with your time.

The difficulty with such situations is they are being presented very prominently and if counter arguments are not presented some/many Farange/Johnson sympathisers will take that to re-enforce their case. Similarly, others (neutral on Farange) may start to "why should cyclists take roads paid for by drivers ..." or think they'll have less room/convenience for their SUV. So don't counter the arguments and some will accept his flawed statements but counter his arguments and, as you say you give them more air and credence (as you have found them worth debating).

A bit of a Catch 22?

Ian

Another problem with talking about Farage is that some folk will conflate this issue with other things he has been involved in, as you are doing here by talking about "Farange / Johnson symapthisers". Johnson may be many things you don't like, and quite a few things I don't like either, but they are not relevant to this story. He is famous for lots of things, including riding his bike to work and embarking of cycling initiatives in London. So with regard to this specific issue it is not useful to categorise him with Farage. On this particular issue they are in different camps.

I suggest that Farage is a spent force and the DM are engaging the services of a has-been.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The paying for road use argument is nonsense at every level, regardless of the terminology used.

I have paid no "road use tax" for any of my last 4 cars, including my current one.

You are making the mistake of engaging with his arguments. It isn't worth it. You have more rewarding things you could be doing with your time.

Except j haven't engaged with Mr Farage and his argument. At the same time, he is not alone and such things do need to be challenged. Mr Johnson, I believe, always has an eye for Farage's comments so that he can out bid him, as he is so terrified of losing supporters.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 11 Nov 2020, 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pwa wrote:

Except j haven't engaged with Mr Farage and his argument.

Glad to hear it.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Ignore him. In March he was tweeting that the UK needed to go into lockdown as it was costing lives.
Now he is tweeting that the UK has to end lockdown as it is costing lives.

He will say literally anything that attracts attention.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Farage is just yet another creep like BoJo and Trump who jumps on any political bandwagon that suits his bizarre and twisted view of the world.
The sad thing is,he in all his guises,like the other creeps,he appeals to the darker side of human nature and as such he and his divisive opinions should be ridiculed with sound argument at every opportunity by anyone with a working brain cell.

Best described as a divisive little creep and of no good use to anyone.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hamster wrote:Ignore him. In March he was tweeting that the UK needed to go into lockdown as it was costing lives.
Now he is tweeting that the UK has to end lockdown as it is costing lives.

He will say literally anything that attracts attention.

Much like BoJo then.
One week lockdown is preposterous,the week after we're in lockdown!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Given that he took out (joint) German nationality before Brexit, I wonder if he has a carbon steed hanging in his garage and a pair of shiny lycra shorts in his cupboard.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Aside from Farage's inaccurate statements, it does worry me a little that it gives cyclists a bad press - however (on the positive) I think it very unlikely we would be charged 'road tax' or any 'fee' to use the roads 1) because it would be impossible to administer and 2)It would be likely to give us 'rights' and a voice which couldn't be ignored. At the moment (alas) the authorities just pay us lip service.
hamster

Post by hamster »

To be honest, his support also helps make such views appear more daft.

It's a bit like Ian Duncan-Smith. He is always a beacon of what's right - simply do the opposite of what he says.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

>sigh<

I wonder if there is any meaningful dialogue one should engage him with...

...but equally I could attempt to play chess with one of my chickens. I will (probably) win the game but it won't stop Henrietta Chicken from knocking over my pieces, making a mess on the board and strutting around the garden like she won the game....

So with this in mind I'll probably cycle further this weekend and grow a bigger beard just to upset the bloke. Does anyone have a remain badge I can pin to my saddle bag :-)
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

Farage did not take out or apply for German nationality though....It is his children that have dual citizenship due to their German mother. I have heard him say his intention is to live in the U.S.....I dont like him and voted remain but he was ahead of the curve regarding schengen which is doomed. Even Macron (this week) said it has to change, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Austria are definitely in favour of big changes and probably Holland, Denmark and most of Spain are too. Shame Schengen was a great idea for the Europe of old but economic migrants and jihadists have made it a platform for extremists to play into peoples genuine fears.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A load of idle scroungers who work like blacks.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

hamster wrote:To be honest, his support also helps make such views appear more daft.

It's a bit like Ian Duncan-Smith. He is always a beacon of what's right - simply do the opposite of what he says.

Trouble is the referendum showed Farage has 17.4 million folk who do what he says. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker