Road policing unit review reveals investigation 'failures'

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-54522575

I don't think that the death of cyclist Stewart Milne has been mentioned on the forum before.

The depressing part of this sorry tale of errors is that part of the rationale for the police concentrating on KSI crashes (AKA more or less ignoring most other crashes) was to provide an excellent service.
atlas_shrugged

Re: Road policing unit review reveals investigation 'failures'

Post by atlas_shrugged »

The fatal crash has been mentioned before but not names and specific details because it was likely a criminal trial was resulting from this cyclist being killed. That trial has now happened and the speeding driver who hit this cyclist has been jailed.

The media report and the judge were right to criticise the Herts / Cambs / Beds combined police force. For 18 months and possibly more the widow of the cyclist was given no details on what had happened to kill her partner.

It took over 3 years for the trial of the driver to be brought to court.

No claims for liability could have been brought until the trial was over. Try supporting 3 young children on fresh air for three years.

The driver would probably have been able to get a new car and carry on driving until the trial 3 years later.

No proper notification of the inquest or trial was given and these probably took place in another city more than 1 hours drive away. So members of the public are deliberately kept uninformed.

The cyclist only took the road route because the misguided cycle path had experienced 4 vicious unprovoked attacks on young male cyclists and the victim had been advised not to take the off-road route after work.

Herts / Cambs / Beds are on record for refusing to review video evidence of punishment passes (because this needs to be witnessed by a policeman blah blah blah)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The fatal crash has been mentioned before ....

I searched unsuccessfully before posting. If anybody can link to what was said previously, I'll ask if this can be merged with the earlier thread.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

> There is a very sad end to the above story. A cyclist returning from his evening work would normally use the busway. But because of the recent reported attacks he was urged to avoid this route and instead used Trumpington Road. He was killed on this road by a motorist, he had children.

In my comment above about Fendon Road roundabout 20-Aug-20 - probably no need to merge as the comment was related to Fendon road (in my diverging kind of way).

BTW some more info on the Trumpington Road crash: a very thorough job was made to make sure that the cyclist had working lights on his bike. All the video evidence in the area was obtained and reviewed to do this. Could this possibly be for potential victim blaming?
Fruity

Post by Fruity »

From the BBC article, taking on an extra nine staff says something to me about the workload/staffing prior to that point. I expect there's a shortage of road traffic collision investigators, certainly those trained to PIP2 standard.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Has anyone found the report, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Fruity

Post by Fruity »

atlas_shrugged wrote:a very thorough job was made to make sure that the cyclist had working lights on his bike. All the video evidence in the area was obtained and reviewed to do this. Could this possibly be for potential victim blaming?

I wouldn't expect so, no. I don't know the incident to which you are referring, but assume it led to a fatality. I'd expect a thorough cctv trawl. A thorough investigation with regard to a bicycle's lights might be intended to counter a claim made by the other party that the lights weren't on or weren't present.