How long before someone ends up in the canal

Pete Owens

How long before someone ends up in the canal

Post by Pete Owens »

OK so it is actually possible to cycle though; it probably meets the design spec for such things. But, did it not occur to anyone what might happen if
a less skilled rider mucked up the turn slightly?
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/156806/
Bonefishblues

Re: How long before someone ends up in the canal

Post by Bonefishblues »

They might end up in the canal, obviously, if they attempted something that wasn't within their capabilities.

I expect they would either slow right down, or stop and walk through, taking a moment or two longer than it might otherwise have done.

It's obviously designed for the purpose of slowing things down, isn't it, thereby fulfilling its purpose?
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

That looks a couple of feet away from the edge of the cut to me, not inches ,well 24 at least.
I fell in on my way to work once me and my mates thought it was funny. :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A great place to setup a video camera -- which numpty put that there? :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:They might end up in the canal, obviously, if they attempted something that wasn't within their capabilities.

I expect they would either slow right down, or stop and walk through, taking a moment or two longer than it might otherwise have done.

It's obviously designed for the purpose of slowing things down, isn't it, thereby fulfilling its purpose?

Only if its purpose is to dump cyclists in the canal if they make a mistake.

If a cyclist does "slow right down" then most will wobble (as per LTN 1/20 s5.2 Dynamic Kinetic Envelope) which will make them less likely to pass through safely.

If they stop and walk, they'll be even wider, so even more likely to collide with the barrier, although less likely to fall into the water if they do.

If it's intended to slow people down, then that's been done by someone ignorant about cycling! Any experienced cyclist knows that the best way to tackle slaloms is to pass through at about 12mph as long as you can still make the exit turn - you need to be above 8mph to reduce balance wobble, but you don't want to go too fast in order to reduce the damage if you do catch a pedal or pannier on the second barrier.

It's also obviously going to be a gathering/pinch point for walkers and cyclists too, which seems a bad idea during the covid crisis.

What's the need to slow cyclists down there anyway? It looks like a fairly gentle bend and it's a fair way back from a junction with a minor road. It just looks bloody vindictive to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Wonder how long it takes a battery powered angle grinder to arrive on the scene?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Are we cyclists averse to slowing down, I wonder? If it's such that someone feels they might wobble to that degree, then dismounting's not a hardship, is it, for what 3 or 4 metres? Either that, or perhaps their skills might mean they could choose to cycle somewhere with more room to wobble until their skills develop?

Look, it's clearly been there donkey's, one assumes that there hasn't been carnage so far, what's the news here?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

chris_suffolk wrote:Wonder how long it takes a battery powered angle grinder to arrive on the scene?

Way to go, soldier :D
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Bonefishblues wrote:Look, it's clearly been there donkey's,

Nope it is brand new - the path has only had a proper surface for the last couple of years. It certainly wasn't there last September:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/110397/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

And now we see why it's there, perhaps, looking at its context?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote:And now we see why it's there, perhaps, looking at its context?

More, please...

Thanks

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Just me, I guess.
ossie

Post by ossie »

If you're on a narrow tow path as the article states I struggle to see the problem in negotiating that obstruction.

Its clearly designed to slow cyclists down and perhaps prevent mopeds/ motorbikes using the path.

Some people ride like complete nutters and the clue is in the article "narrow tow path ".
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

It's an unnecessary restriction that, like all these barriers, will impede normal people going about their business while completely failing to slow down the people it's supposed to (since they inevitably have skillz) or prevent motorbike/moped access.

Worse it will disproportionately impact users of non standard cycles, including mobility aids such as hand bikes, trikes and similar.

The new LTN1/20 is quite clear about such things:

16) Access control measures, such as chicane barriers and dismount signs, should not be used.
They reduce the usability of a route for everyone and may exclude people riding nonstandard cycles and cargo bikes. They reduce the capacity of a route as well as the directness and comfort.

5.6.3 Deliberately restricting space, introducing
staggered barriers or blind bends to slow cyclists is likely
to increase the potential for user conflict and may
prevent access for larger cycles and disabled people
and so should not be used.

etc
Last edited by Stevek76 on 7 Dec 2020, 8:10pm, edited 2 times in total.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

@ossie
...coming off a larger road, going down a gentle gradient, into shadow, turning right on a named routeway, which is likely a well-used multi-user pathway, just to be explicit about what I'm seeing there.

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/todo/bridgewater-way