Samye Ling / Eskdalmuir

Pebble

Re: Samye Ling / Eskdalmuir

Post by Pebble »

Deer staking produces very few shots and would never be considered as a noise nuisance. On the other hand clays and rifle ranges can be incessant noise for hours on end, on a still day in the countryside it can be easily heard up to 5 miles away, and anything within two miles is just hideously unpleasant for anyone wishing to enjoy the peace of the countryside.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Bikes`n`guns wrote:The ranges are already in use and cause no issue

Why has there been objections then?
Bikes`n`guns wrote:I hope they get both approved for use and I and many I know will continue to well use them both. They are great facilities and will be further developed to ensure they continue to be good neighbours.

Have you any evidence they have been good neighbours?
Bikes`n`guns wrote:That area is very popular as a target shooting hub. People travel form all over the country to shoot there.

I would like to rewrite your history if I may, That area has recently become very popular as a target shooting hub. after moving in next door to a long established business founded on a completely different mindset to my own.People travel from all over the country and the world to use facilities which are not acceptable on their own doorstep.It’s OK to do it on someone else’s doorstep without question though, isn’t it?
Bikes`n`guns wrote:I also visit the monastery and cannot see this being an issue.

You might well have visited the monastery but I don’t think you’ve come away with any understanding of their reason for being there.
Bikes`n`guns wrote:Just for info, there is a huge amount of deer stalking going on in this area on a daily basis as it is a huge forest. The shooting folk hear isn't always a range.

There is indeed and has been for some time. It’s not a 52 week operation, it happens early morning or evening and is often one or two loud cracks. Most people never hear them because as you say it’s a huge forest and very few will be within earshot.
Bikes`n`guns wrote:Up here in Scotland we have a right to access our own country and we deserve it and it works.

In England you are excluded from everywhere unless someone allows it. Madness.

I don’t do it now but when I was younger and fitter I had an off road route from Moffat to Hawick I used to pick up the Roman road at Eskdalemuir which from the road is a Ford across the Esk. Many a time there was too much water and I had to use the road bridge and then use the track from Clerkhill to get back to my route. I could use that at anytime of day or night without restriction or fear.

Edit: I should add I’m not without experience of this kind of situation. I was the Land manager in the middle of owners who gave an acquaintance of theirs permission to establish a clay pigeon enterprise Thankfully the attempt petered out after two years. They were very stressful times for me placating the few affected neighbours and trying not to be obstructive to the enterprise.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Paulatic wrote:I don’t do it now but when I was younger and fitter I had an off road route from Moffat to Hawick I used to pick up the Roman road at Eskdalemuir which from the road is a Ford across the Esk. Many a time there was too much water and I had to use the road bridge and then use the track from Clerkhill to get back to my route. I could use that at anytime of day or night without restriction or fear.

Where did you come out at? Craik
I often ride into Craik and have often fancied making my way through the forestry to the 709 - don't really have the right bike for it so may be too much walking. I once made my way from Craik over to Teviothead - never again.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pebble wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I don’t do it now but when I was younger and fitter I had an off road route from Moffat to Hawick I used to pick up the Roman road at Eskdalemuir which from the road is a Ford across the Esk. Many a time there was too much water and I had to use the road bridge and then use the track from Clerkhill to get back to my route. I could use that at anytime of day or night without restriction or fear.

Where did you come out at? Craik
I often ride into Craik and have often fancied making my way through the forestry to the 709 - don't really have the right bike for it so may be too much walking. I once made my way from Craik over to Teviothead - never again.

Yes I used to come out at the Craik visitor car park. It involved a push up along a fence line from Eskdalemuir roads to pick up the Craik roads.
I used to run an off road audax over it but all the info from that went into the bin along with 31/2 inch floppies. :lol:

It used to come back by Alemoor, Captain's road & St Mary's If you were to do it now There is a better option over Cowan fell. My route used to follow an old pack horse route over it. It’s extremely steep and too steep to even ride down coming down. There are now forestry roads nearby which are, of course, rideable. Also since making that route I found a way out from Eskdalemuir over Ettrick Pen picking up the SUW and back to Moffat. When I lead an off road club ride over Ettrick Pen many years ago it’s fair to say all involved were suitably pleased.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

Yup, well the patronising is too boring for me to engage with so I'll leave it there.

Hopefully the ranges are a success.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Bikes`n`guns wrote:
I also visit the monastery and cannot see this being an issue.

Well, the occupants of the monastery clearly consider it a significant issue.
https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-r ... ry-3154930
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Thanks for letting me know. I'll draft my objections in the next few days. It's time we put guns back in the toy cupboard where they belong.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Bikes`n`guns wrote:Yup, well the patronising is too boring for me to engage with so I'll leave it there.

Hopefully the ranges are a success.

So we are under no illusions it has been my experience that those people obsessed with guns have been insecure, unsure of their place in society and of their own worth. I understand that you may be the exception. Let me know if this post is too patronising for you.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
toontra

Post by toontra »

Military training (one of the purported user groups for these ranges - to help with "counter-terrorism" :roll: ) belongs on military property, well away from Joe Public. Those facilities already exist.

I suspect these ranges are actually for folks who get a kick out of playing soldiers.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Signed. The monastery have their reasons for objecting.

From a cycling perspective I'd be more worried about camo-clad wannabe hardmen in 4x4s driving like idiots on the surrounding roads to get to the range.

It is/was a beautiful area for cycling and, living in England now, there are few places in the UK where cycling can be enjoyed in relative peace and quiet.
toontra

Post by toontra »

bgnukem wrote:It is/was a beautiful area for cycling and, living in England now, there are few places in the UK where cycling can be enjoyed in relative peace and quiet.

Indeed. Those particular valleys are amongst the most serene and memorable I've cycled through. If you're going to play with high-calibre toys then do it on waste industrial land, not in the midst of some of the country's most peaceful scenery. A lot of nonsense takes place on "agricultural" land that has no place there, this being a prime example.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Signed. I am a resident of Dumfries and Galloway. It is not patronising to say that in my opinion guns have no place in my countryside for any purposes whatsoever.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

It is not patronising to say that in my opinion guns have no place in my countryside for any purposes whatsoever.

Really?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ays-report
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Zulu Eleven wrote:
It is not patronising to say that in my opinion guns have no place in my countryside for any purposes whatsoever.

Really?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ays-report

Let's bring back the wolves for that
toontra

Post by toontra »

cycle tramp wrote:Let's bring back the wolves for that

Well indeed. There was an ecological equilibrium long before the gun was invented. It's man's countless meddling with nature that has put everything out of kilter, starting with deforestation (and we moan about others!), hunting native species to extinction and ending up with the obscenity that is grouse shooting, which has stripped the landscape of 90% of the indigenous flora and fauna.

And the answer is - more shooting? :roll: